Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My last attempt to get help somewhere: what's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 02:07 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My last attempt to get help somewhere: what's wrong with my car?

Problem: Car will just suddenly loose all power and give a stalling/backfiring effect while under mild boost, ex: cruise control at 3K in 5th and the car starts going up a hill...
Ok, when I'm crusing along then try to accelerate ant a nice semi-hard rate, the car will start building boost, then when it get's the point where it won't build anymore unless I press harder the car all of a sudden drops power and the exhaust tone starts 'uh uh eh uh eh eh, pop pop' and almost sounds like it's giving out on me. Today, it did it in 2nd gear at around 4K, and I just went ahead and held down the acclerator, and some black smoke came out the pipe and it started going.... Could it be that I do not have my 'Manual Boost Controller' hooked up right on my new wastegate? It was doing this same thing with the old wastegate. Here's what's on the car so that you might be able to better help me.
-Stg. II Chips
-Testpipe
-Lindsey Racing Wastegate
-Lindsey Racing Manual Boost Controller
-New 993 blowoff valve
This is very important, I can hardly drive the car comfortably, if I just want to go out to town or something I can't do it, because I can't accelerate lightly, I have to floor it to avoid that mess. Another thing that might help for yall to know, is under full throttle in 3rd gear the boost needle is at the 4th line after the bar under '1'. (the one real close to the 2). Then at 6K, it's at the second bar past the '1'... I just don't know, but this problem is starting to make this car pretty much useless and a great dissappointment... =(, I UNDERSTAND if you don't want to help me, but just thought I'd give it one more try before I put the car up for a few months until I can get the money to have a porsche place look at it and fix it...
Old 02-04-2002, 02:15 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Helping is never a problem!

I had the same after fitting a load of stuff to mine. It turned out that it was a real bad setting on the LR MAF controller.

In the same area, have you tried running with the stock chips, assuming that there is a fuel mixture problem somewhere.

And Yes, just in case, check the way you've connected the boost controller!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You probably know this already, BUT, you're not supoposed to have the larger banjo bolt of the APEII chips WITH the LBE. If you have both, then you need to go back to the regular banjo bolt. Also, if that's not the case, then it could be the adjustment like Mike said. Also, could it possibly be the TPS? I always ask people this when they have anything wrong w/boost, b/c it's fairly cheap and simple and is often the cause of erratic boost problems...

EDIT: sorry, I thought you and Mike had mentioned LBE(?)- If you don't have one of the LBE's, then the b anjo bolt thing wont have a thing in the world to do w/it... At any rate, it could be the boost controler OR the wastegate. Probably something else that I know nothing about though- good luck...
Old 02-04-2002, 02:33 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Ok, would an airbox that's not on good cause this? I think i'm going to remove that chip tomorrow and try.
-the banjo bolt thing, um, how do I know which one I have? When I rigged my 'boost controller' I put a connector between the little blue tube they gave me w/ the boost controllet and the thing that came off that bolt... Want a picture of what I mean?
Old 02-04-2002, 02:40 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craig,

just a question here,,you did follow the hookup on the wastegate and you disconnected the cycling valve at the back of the manifold? You ran the tubing from the banjo bolt (you went back to the stock banjo bolt and got rid of the jetted one since you have a manual controller?)to the top of the wastegate,,,the side port of the wastegate to the "out" on the controller, and where did you get your source for the "in"; did you splice the KLR line or get it off by splicing into one off the manifold, fuel regulator vaccum line?

If all the above answers good,,turn you boost controller down counterclockwise all the way. Then slowly turn it up to see where the problem starts/stops. I would advise a boost gauge other than the factory one, it has been known to give false readings. Your problem sounds a little bit like overboost protection. There was also a recent post about the same thing; the guy swapped DMEs with friend, cured the problem,,sent his off for repair, problem solved. Just a thought..

give Dave a call, he can get you a gauge from Vision. I blew my blowoff valve after installing LR stage II intercooler, LR wastegate, manual controller, and the Kokeln intake system, but you already have a 993 one,,no problem there.

good luck
Old 02-04-2002, 02:56 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

WHOA WHOA WHOA! I MESSED UP with something I think... I don't know WHERE i get the source for 'in boost'!
I don't know what 'banjo bolt' I have?! I've never 'changed it'. What I did was this... I ran everything like it said I THINK, except we got to that t-connector part and got stumped, and we ran the blue tubing to the banjo bolt for the boost in thing, and it wouldn't fit over so we used a rubber boot connector... Here's a picture, i'll have one of the actual setup tomorrow mourning...
If it's not working IN the post, here's the address
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/porsche/boostcon2.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/porsche/boostcon2.jpg</a>
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/porsche/boostcon2.jpg" target="_blank">THE PIC</a>
Old 02-04-2002, 04:18 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

HOW DO YOU QUOTE OTHER PEOPLE'S TEXT??? I've read the UBB Code stuff, but still can't do it- I don't think I'm COMPLETLEY stupid... Also, why can't we delete posts and/or replies anymore???

Craig-

I don't have any of the mods that you have (none at all actually- I'm waiting to rebuild my bottom end), so it's hard for me to say for sure. BUT, you said you have:
Stage II chips (I assume Autothority...)
Testpipe
LR wastegate
LR manual boost controller
993 blow off valve

I was under the impression that you had installed this stuff yourself, but it's obvious from your other post ("where is the ECU") that you didn't. If you had, you would (should) know which banjo bolt you have. The APEII chips came w/a larger (jetted?) banjo bolt that replaces the stock one to prevent the wastegate from bleeding the pressure, thereby giving more boost. What I don't understand is- do you have the LBE (Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer)? If so, then you need to make sure you have the right banjo bolt- actually, if you have the Lindsey wastegate installed, then you shouldn't have the LBE anyway- I'm pretty sure that's the case. Anyway, you have several places that might need adjusting in these areas, and the TPS is just one more (albeit slight) possibility...

Good luck, wish I could be of more help,
Robby
Old 02-04-2002, 04:55 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Robby, first copy the text you want to quote to the clipboard. Then enclose it in between the [ quote ]...[/ quote ] meta-tags like this (without spaces):

[ quote ] HOW DO YOU QUOTE OTHER PEOPLE'S TEXT??? I've read the UBB Code stuff, but still can't do it- I don't think I'm COMPLETLEY stupid... Also, why can't we delete posts and/or replies anymore???[ / quote]

Which then would give you this...

[quote]HOW DO YOU QUOTE OTHER PEOPLE'S TEXT??? I've read the UBB Code stuff, but still can't do it- I don't think I'm COMPLETLEY stupid... Also, why can't we delete posts and/or replies anymore???<hr></blockquote>

I will typically will remove the hard line-breaks so it wraps correctly. Simple, eh?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:08 AM
9milphil
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Craig944[951]:
<strong>Ok, would an airbox that's not on good cause this? I think i'm going to remove that chip tomorrow and try.
-the banjo bolt thing, um, how do I know which one I have? When I rigged my 'boost controller' I put a connector between the little blue tube they gave me w/ the boost controllet and the thing that came off that bolt... Want a picture of what I mean?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure could - I ahd the same problem with my alfa -tioghtened up all teh intake hoses and it went away... the looser t is the worse the problem -
Phil Fortune
944S
Alfa Spider
Legend- big gold
SV650 - hot rod
FZR400.. 600 motor
GSXR all of them
Old 02-04-2002, 12:27 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Craig,

The banjo bolt is the 17mm bolt connected to your intercooler pipe coming off your turbo. Undo it (be careful not to lose the washers) and look inside the hollow banjo bolt. If it's hollow, that's good. If your APE jet is still in there, you'll see it. It looks like a main jet, if you've ever taken a dirtbike carburetor apart. Anyways, unscrew it, you don't need that, since you've got a manual boost controller. Now screw the banjo bolt (with the washers) back into the intercooler pipe.

The instructions for installing the wastegate should be on the lindsey racing website. First of all, disconnect your cycling valve (under your intake manifold), and plug the line that used to go from your cycling valve to your intake boot. Now, connect a line from the intercooler pipe banjo pipe, all the way into the "in" side of your boost controller. Right where that new line passes near the back of the motor, cut the line and install a t-connector. Run a line down from that t-connector into the "top" of the wastegate. Now there's only one more line to connect. Run a line from the "out" side of your boost controller into the "side" connector on the wastegate.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:39 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Ian thanks and all, but I couldn't make myself read all that cuz I'm not doing that right now, I will most definately read the rest and follow it later. I'm fixing the spark plugs. They're ALL MESED UP! ARGH! Black and carbon deposits all over, and grey at the very top!
-I found oil on #4 and #1! Does this mean I'm screwed? HOW Do I keep the car from running so rich?!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:46 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

If I were you, I'd first make sure your wastegate is hooked up properly, and that your APE banjo bolt jet is removed. Put the new spark plugs in and then get someone to measure your a/f ratios. Either take your car to a dyno shop, or call around to any race shops in your area. Find someone who's got a wideband O2 sensor and air/fuel monitor. Since you've got a testpipe, you can accurately measure a/f by sticking the wideband O2 sensor up your tailpipe. Make sure your a/f ratios are 14.7:1 at idle and under cruising/low load situations, and 12.5:1 under boost. Rich mixtures above 11.5:1 under boost will lead to fouling of plugs. You may need to send your APE chips back, and ask them to send you some new ones. Your problem may also be partially caused by excessive blow-by. Had your compression tested lately? Does your car consume much oil? May be time for a valve job and/or new rings in the future.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:49 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

The motor has about 19K miles on it, it's a fresh rebuild, it doesn't consume oil... Do you have AOL instant messenger?]thanks by the way.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:58 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

No, sorry, I don't have instant messenger. I can't afford the time while I'm at work to chat to anyone. I just log on and read the Rennlist posts when I get a chance. You can always email me if you have any more questions. I'm not the most experience guy on this board, but I'm happy to offer suggestions if anyone wants an opinion.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:07 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Ok, I have just a few questions if you're out there...
Where on the intake boot do I plug the hose that used to go to the top of the wastegate?

I still don't know if this bolt on my table is the jetted or not, it has 3 holes on it near the top, and on the inside a little ways down in there is a smaller little piece w/ a small hole in the center and two cuts on it like for a flat head screw driver or something.

Do you need a picture?

Quick Reply: My last attempt to get help somewhere: what's wrong with my car?