Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011 | 10:09 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
Just hope there's some summer left when I get it back on the road.
I feel for you there! I'm complaining that it's over 100 every day here (61 days and counting this summer), and I'm hoping for a few cool days in the 90's when I'm done...
Old 09-02-2011 | 01:18 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Got a bit more work done today.

Spent quite a while making sure everything is tight. Also spoke with Joshua (Rogue) and my M-Tune will be here on Saturday
It's got to be about the tenth time I've called him for an updated ETA or for other random questions... That is one patient guy. Thanks, Joshua, for putting up with me .

Hopefully, I can actually hear her run again on Sat. All that's left is the parts that will come in the M-Tune, the fuel rail, one of the two hard pipes and the sway bar (I figure that can wait until I've run it and had a good look around for leaks)... and wheels, I suppose the wheels would be good too.

It's so nerve wracking to be this close to starting up an engine that I had (partly) apart and did a bunch of work to... It feels the way I imagine kids would on Christmas Eve if Santa would probably bring them presents, but might murder them instead.
Old 09-02-2011 | 01:33 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! Now you just have to get a new coolant tank! It's ALLLLWays sumthin!
Old 09-02-2011 | 01:44 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Looking good! Now you just have to get a new coolant tank! It's ALLLLWays sumthin!
Yeah, I know, it's fugly. I was hoping to be able to fit one into the budget this time around, but other stuff ate all my money. I'll get there. For now, I just can't wait to drive it again!
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
Yeah, I know, it's fugly. I was hoping to be able to fit one into the budget this time around, but other stuff ate all my money. I'll get there. For now, I just can't wait to drive it again!
Try cleaning it with coffee.. JoKA said it works.
Old 09-02-2011 | 02:18 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I thought about it, but it's just old and brown... it's not really dirty. I think a new one is the only real answer, but I figured I could wait until turbo upgrade time, I figure I might wind up going with a dry turbo, and if that winds up to be the case, I can buy an NA expansion tank instead.
Old 09-02-2011 | 02:49 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree try the coffee thing I'd be curious if JoKA trick works on yours

Jason

Old 09-03-2011 | 01:46 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Got more done today... because my M-Tune showed up!!!

First off, though, I've just got to say that Joshua's (Rogue_Ant) level of service is off the chart! I have called him endless times to ask one or two questions, only to call him back (sometimes later the same day) to ask more questions, called him many times in close succession to bug him for updated ETA's and generally been, I'm sure, a very annoying customer. Throughout all of which, Joshua has been extremely patient, responded quickly to voice mails and emails and even express-shipped my M-Tune to me as soon as it was possible. I owe him a beer, big-time!

Ok, so, tell me it's not uncanny how much the M-Tune looks at home in my engine bay. The only way it could be better is if the supplied silicone hose for the BOV was blue...

Also installed the Rennbay fuel lines.

Only thing left before firing it up is installing the M-Tune chip and the MAP sensor. Should be firing up tomorrow!!
Old 09-03-2011 | 02:59 AM
Ifly951
Instructor

Hey your engine looks great. Nice job on this reinstall.

I had two quick questions for you. First one is the intake. Did you paint it yourself, or have it powdercoated? It looks good, along the lines of what I plan to do.

The other one is from page 3 on this thread. I need to know where the brace goes that is painted black. In the pic you have 5 pieces that are painted. The two ones that are in the middle I have forgotten where they go. They are the pieces next too (left and right) of the one closest to the bottom in the picture. They look like support braces, and I am a ******** forgetting where they go. Ideas?

Keep up the good work. The M-tune is great! I had it running with it before I decided to have my turbo rebuilt.
Old 09-03-2011 | 02:59 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did she start right up?
Old 09-03-2011 | 03:08 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

did she start right up?

The ULTIMATE QUESTION!

We're not laughing at you Cracker! We've been there and been disappointed more than once!

I hope yours did!
Old 09-03-2011 | 03:27 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

did she start right up?
Haven't tried to start her up yet... it's late, I'm tired and tomorrow is another day. Should be ready to give it a shot tomorrow though!

The ULTIMATE QUESTION!

We're not laughing at you Cracker! We've been there and been disappointed more than once!

I hope yours did!
No offense taken... I've been there a few times myself, and, as I've said before; Starting up an engine feels the way, I'd figure, children would on x-mas eve if Santa would probably bring them presents, but might murder them instead: excited and nervous. We should see tomorrow...
Old 09-03-2011 | 03:42 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ifly951
Hey your engine looks great. Nice job on this reinstall.

I had two quick questions for you. First one is the intake. Did you paint it yourself, or have it powdercoated? It looks good, along the lines of what I plan to do.

The other one is from page 3 on this thread. I need to know where the brace goes that is painted black. In the pic you have 5 pieces that are painted. The two ones that are in the middle I have forgotten where they go. They are the pieces next too (left and right) of the one closest to the bottom in the picture. They look like support braces, and I am a ******** forgetting where they go. Ideas?

Keep up the good work. The M-tune is great! I had it running with it before I decided to have my turbo rebuilt.
Thanks for the compliments! Regarding the intake, I painted it myself with the VHT high-heat wrinkle paint.... do yourself a favor and have it powder coated, I promise you, it looks better in pictures than it does in person.

As for the painted pieces, I hope this helps:

Old 09-03-2011 | 04:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Honestly, unless you are a freak, or have cash to waste, just paint the damned things flat black; and be done with it.
IT'S in an ENGINE BAY! EVERYTHING is a wear item. Better yet, leave it alone. Our cars are 25 years old. It's called, "OFFICIALLY", patina, now.
Old 09-03-2011 | 04:47 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Honestly, unless you are a freak, or have cash to waste, just paint the damned things flat black; and be done with it.
IT'S in an ENGINE BAY! EVERYTHING is a wear item. Better yet, leave it alone. Our cars are 25 years old. It's called, "OFFICIALLY", patina, now.

You make a good point . I think I kinda fall into the "freak" category, but more of a "cheap freak", hence the rattle can all over my engine bay. The only reason I recommended having the intake powder coated is because the VHT wrinkle paint doesn't seem to like to wrinkle uniformly, there are "flat" spots all over the place.

You should see my Alfa... there's probably about 30 cans of matte-black Duplicolor engine enamel all over that car... but, then again, it was showing it's age (I mean "patina") a lot more than my 951

Quick Reply: Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12