Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just been slowly picking away at it as I have time... Got the fan shroud, radiator, and alternator out in the last couple of days. Still trying to figure out what to do about the AC pump. I'd post more pics, but there's not much to look at.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you wanted yo could unbolt it and pull it out of the way when you drop the engine. Did the AC have a charge?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Good luck!

My engine will probably get pulled this fall to address some massive oil leaks.
Maybe you can rebuild mine at the same time. lol
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

If you wanted yo could unbolt it and pull it out of the way when you drop the engine. Did the AC have a charge?
That's basically what the clarks-garage procedure says, but it's not the stock unit... it's a Griffiths Keuhl, and I think the upper hose was shortened to accommodate the new fitting (PO)... I might be able to push it out of the way, but just barely. It definitely has a charge. It works great, and I would really like to avoid discharging it. The one and only time I tried recharging AC myself, the pump froze shortly thereafter, so I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to doing it again...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Spent quite a bit of time today cleaning stuff...

Got the PS rack completely unbolted... it won't come out though... I don't know what it's hung up on, but I give up for now... I tied it up to the x-member with a coat hanger so it won't fall if whatever it's hung up on lets loose. I'll go have another look at it tomorrow.

Doing my best not to get discouraged by the road ahead... It was really nice out today, and I was driving my F&%k1*$ Supra
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Default The Engine is OUT!!

A few buddies of mine came over today and helped me actually yard it out. One thing I would like to say to those who told me that it was an easy pull: Thank you for not telling me the discouraging truth.

But here's the aftermath:

engine out on the floor:

Here's a pic of the firewall around where the fire was. That's the fuel vapor hardline that looks all sooty, but I think it will clean up pretty well.

I did find one more casualty of the fire... the clutch slave line. I don't think it's leaking or anything, but I'm gonna replace it

and one more shot of the engine out on the floor:

Hooray for progress!

Now, I'm gonna drink this beer I have here, and probably a couple more after it's done.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

During the last week, I've basically been cleaning the garage, the engine and the engine bay... I did put in my parts orders, thanks especially to Travis @ Rennbay for all his awesome help in getting parts together (even though he did wake me up)

basically, I've turned this horrendous mess:

into this, slightly less horrendous mess:

I didn't take a lot of closeups of the engine, but these few are excellent examples of how oil was fleeing my engine (it's worth noting, I'd already started cleaning this area before it occurred to me to take pics):

that's where I'm at, parts should start showing up on Monday... that's when all the real fun begins.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

did you discover the source of the fire starting leak?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

did you discover the source of the fire starting leak?
It's too hard to be sure... there are leaks everywhere... oil pan, AOS, oil cooler plate, oil cooler lines, rear main... just everywhere. On top of that, the PS rack is leaking pretty badly, so.. it really could have been any of them. Just gonna fix them all and call it good.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

You go out through the bottom there?

When I did mine I came out through the top but I think next time I'll try the bottom.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
You go out through the bottom there?

When I did mine I came out through the top but I think next time I'll try the bottom.
Yeah, I went out the bottom... After having done it though, I can see why people say that out the top is substantially more difficult.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Painted a bunch of stuff today...

and all of this came in the mail:

I have so got to get a better camera.

There's still a bit more stuff I'm waiting on, but that's the vast majority of it. Having parts kinda helps put the wind back in my sails. Still a long road ahead.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

It feels good when the delivery guy comes and droped of the box of parts haha.

good luck though. i've been reading this thread and the rest you post for the engine drop so i can follow the same steps.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
It feels good when the delivery guy comes and droped of the box of parts haha.

good luck though. i've been reading this thread and the rest you post for the engine drop so i can follow the same steps.
The one bit of advice I have that you'll never read anywhere else is, don't be a "bigger hammer" mechanic. And don't do the pull with the assistance of anyone who subscribes to that method. I've been super meticulous with bagging and tagging everything that comes apart... but this guy who came to help me do the pull just threw bolts and tools all over the place, and then, if anything got stuck, or didn't want to come apart easily, his immediate solution was to bang and pull and grunt and smash... Thankfully, the only casualty of of his bearishness was to break the turbo water pump thermo-switch, which looked pretty questionable to begin with. But he got really close to breaking a bunch of other stuff. I'm grateful for his willingness to help, but he will not be invited to any future events of that sort.

So, basically, choose your assistance wisely!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
The one bit of advice I have that you'll never read anywhere else is, don't be a "bigger hammer" mechanic. And don't do the pull with the assistance of anyone who subscribes to that method. I've been super meticulous with bagging and tagging everything that comes apart... but this guy who came to help me do the pull just threw bolts and tools all over the place, and then, if anything got stuck, or didn't want to come apart easily, his immediate solution was to bang and pull and grunt and smash... Thankfully, the only casualty of of his bearishness was to break the turbo water pump thermo-switch, which looked pretty questionable to begin with. But he got really close to breaking a bunch of other stuff. I'm grateful for his willingness to help, but he will not be invited to any future events of that sort.

So, basically, choose your assistance wisely!
Thanks for those words! I can tell you i'm now "bigger hammer" type of person and neither is my dad. not sure about his mate havn't really seen him work on his cars before but yeah thanks

Quick Reply: Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12