Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spammajamma
looks great, got a question though, I'm installing vacuum hoses and I have one that goes nowhere,,,its the line in the first pic that goes over the intercooler pipe middle far right side of pic..could you tell me what it attaches to?
One side goes to the nipple on the under side of the throttle body, the other side goes to the temp sensor near the AOS.

LR has good vacuum diagrams here. Just make sure you're looking at the right one.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
spammajamma
Pro

thanks! pulled my hoses and ran the line..it's been unhooked for awhile
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spammajamma
thanks! pulled my hoses and ran the line..it's been unhooked for awhile
I know the feeling... I've begun implementing a rigorous "filing" system for everything I've removed this time around so that I don't have to wonder where things go when I put it back together.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea I need to get on that. I could probably build another car with all the crap I have laying around.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks way nicer than my 'after fire' photos!! :/

Good to see you are doing a comprehensive cleaning though. As for mine, I just pulled off the intake manifold and cleaned everything up and replaced all my lines and hoses.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Looks way nicer than my 'after fire' photos!! :/

Good to see you are doing a comprehensive cleaning though. As for mine, I just pulled off the intake manifold and cleaned everything up and replaced all my lines and hoses.
DAMN!! I feel lucky now... what caused your fire?

I'm pulling the engine mostly because the oil pan gasket needs replacing and I want to really examine everything and make sure it's golden. I'd really like to drive with a clear conscience.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
DAMN!! I feel lucky now... what caused your fire?

I'm pulling the engine mostly because the oil pan gasket needs replacing and I want to really examine everything and make sure it's golden. I'd really like to drive with a clear conscience.
My stainless steel braided fuel lines were old and I could not detect the fact that the rubber was dry and cracked underneath the steel. So fuel leaked onto the motor and must have ignited somehow.

The new fuel lines are going to get heat sleeves so they don't get baked so easily.

Doing it the way you're doing it is the right way! I wish I had the time to pull mine out and take it all apart but this car needs to be back on the track asap!!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Doing it the way you're doing it is the right way! I wish I had the time to pull mine out and take it all apart but this car needs to be back on the track asap!!
I wish I had another 944 to drive while it was down

Driving a stock and rotting '85 Toyota Celica Supra is murder when you're used to a super clean, modded 951!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

not to go off track but what strut brace is that?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Noo!!!! Elliott! When did that happen?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by piperporsche180944
Noo!!!! Elliott! When did that happen?
Gimme some time to dig out my last service receipt and I'll be able to tell you, date and hour, but it was approx. 2 months ago IIRC.

I happened to see Elliott that afternoon, driving his VW rail off into a blackening sky, and about to get thoroughly pissed on and drenched!

(Some days, it feels like getting out of bed was just the first in a long chain of bad things!)
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Made a little more progress yesterday. Not a ton, but I'm not hurrying. Got a little help from one of the local 951 guys.

Got the car up on stands, and pulled the control arms sway bar, and spent hours cleaning them up pretty well:

drained all the fluids:

That's pretty much where I left off for the day, I'll go back under there when it's done raining coolant

Though you guys would get a kick out of my wheel chuck though:

more to come.
-Dave
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Question... there are a couple places in the clarks-garage engine removal procedure that are not completely clear. First, it says "disconnect the exhaust"... where? there are more than a few options. Also, is it safe to drop the engine with the x-over and header attached? I can only imagine it's a lot easier to remove them once the engine is out, but am I running the risk of damaging them?

The second part I'm confused about is the procedure says to remove the AC pump from the bracket and hang it from the strut spring using a clothes hanger or wire without opening the lines... sounds great, but I see no way that the lines will allow the pump to move that far... or really at all. The line that goes up to the firewall doesn't seem to have any slack on it at all... am I missing something? Or is this a problem incurred by the Griffiths Kuehl compressor the PO installed?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
Question... there are a couple places in the clarks-garage engine removal procedure that are not completely clear. First, it says "disconnect the exhaust"... where? there are more than a few options. Also, is it safe to drop the engine with the x-over and header attached? I can only imagine it's a lot easier to remove them once the engine is out, but am I running the risk of damaging them?

The second part I'm confused about is the procedure says to remove the AC pump from the bracket and hang it from the strut spring using a clothes hanger or wire without opening the lines... sounds great, but I see no way that the lines will allow the pump to move that far... or really at all. The line that goes up to the firewall doesn't seem to have any slack on it at all... am I missing something? Or is this a problem incurred by the Griffiths Kuehl compressor the PO installed?
Exhaust: remove the mid section (from the down pipe to after the cat)
Xover: leave it on, you wont damage it, the x member is in the way.

part 2: i have no idea but would also love to know
Old 07-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Exhaust: remove the mid section (from the down pipe to after the cat)
Xover: leave it on, you wont damage it, the x member is in the way.

part 2: i have no idea but would also love to know
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12