Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was cleaning out the garage today and found TWO sets of paper gaskets... one bought 5 years ago, the other bought this year before I discovered LR's cool new gaskets. If you would rather save a few bucks this time around, I'd be more than happy to toss one or both of these sets in the mail to you...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I was cleaning out the garage today and found TWO sets of paper gaskets... one bought 5 years ago, the other bought this year before I discovered LR's cool new gaskets. If you would rather save a few bucks this time around, I'd be more than happy to toss one or both of these sets in the mail to you...
That would be awesome, Matt. I could really use to save the $$ right now. Do you still have my addy?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Well... I swapped out the ISV. Thanks, Matt, for the intake gaskets!

Went and drove it about 70 miles today and made it home about a quart and a half low on oil.

It's definitely leaking badly from somewhere. There were spots all the way up my driveway...

I hope I just didn't get the dipstick o-ring seated all the way when I put it back in after swapping the ISV. It didn't leak before swapping the ISV, so it's either the dipstick, or something else just randomly sprung a leak. No time to have a look at it now. Hopefully sometime after work this week. If not, it'll have to wait until the weekend.

Also, on the highway, the needle on the temp gauge sits even with the second mark. That seems a bit cool. Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I finally got a chance to get under my car this afternoon.... I definitely didn't get my dipstick o-rings seated properly... I got them pinched somehow and split them both. It's rather surprising how much oil can erupt out of the dipstick hole due to a split and improperly seated o-ring! I'll order a couple of them on Monday and shore her all up again.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't order any, I'll send you my spares. Just make sure you don't put them in the block first... Put them on the tube and slide the tube in. Have you already cut a slot in the dipstick bolt hole? That's a worthwhile mod that helps when you R&R the intake manifold.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Don't order any, I'll send you my spares. Just make sure you don't put them in the block first... Put them on the tube and slide the tube in. Have you already cut a slot in the dipstick bolt hole? That's a worthwhile mod that helps when you R&R the intake manifold.
Thanks Matt!

I've always put them on the tube, I have no idea how I managed to split them, but I did... And yes, the mounting hole on the dipstick tube is slotted... I just accidentally knocked it out of the block when I was pulling the intake this last time... Stuck it right back in and thought I'd gotten it in right, but, apparently not.

Last edited by Crackership; 10-24-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

It's finally alive!!! Replaced the cam tower gasket... somehow the old one got wrinkled in the installation process... Not sure how that happened... but the super weird thing is the other oil leak I had turned out to be the oil pan gasket... now, I know oil pan gaskets leaking isn't exactly weird, but what is weird is what I found when replacing it... When I installed the last one, I somehow got the front left corner bolt in between the spacer and the gasket... how does that happen? I'm baffled and a bit annoyed at myself for screwing it up, but mostly confused.

I also replaced the TPS 'cause it was doing silly stuff, and, overall, she's driving well! There are a couple of little details that still need buttoning up, but she's finally driving again!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bet it feels good to drive it again!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I bet it feels good to drive it again!
Oh yes. So good.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Default TURBO!!!!!!

Hey all,

I decided to continue adding to this thread as anything noteworthy happens and something noteworthy is happening!

I'm finally installing my TURBO!!

So, just so all the info is in the same place, I bought this guy from Josh (Rogue_Ant) right about a year ago.

(the turbo, not the model.. that's from Autoart)

It's an HY35 Compressor housing and wheel, an HX35 CHRA and an HY35 turbine in a Turbonetics replica Triple K #8 housing that's been ceramic coated.

Shortly after I bought the turbo life and stuff got kinda crazy so it got shelved for a while. Now, basically prompted by the excuse that it's timing belt time, I'm finally throwing it in.
As of the writing of this, I’m actually about a week or so into this project, I needed to take a break and get this all written down before I forget what all I’ve done.

Last weekend, I tore it all down with the help of a buddy from work.
Friday night got here:

I spent most of Saturday tracking down a hydraulic shop that could make me a new oil feed, but then we got back after it and got the K26 out:

Here’s the line I had made out of the old line:

I spent most of Sunday fighting the $%$#@* downpipe sealing ring out if its home:

And, since I had the old turbo out, I took the obligatory old turbo, new turbo picture:

Last thing I did Sunday was test-fit the turbo. It didn’t fit. Compressor hits the alternator bracket.
So, after work one day, I solved the problem with a burr on a die grinder:

It made quite a mess, but the turbo fits now

I wrapped the downpipe on another evening after work:

Then, this last Saturday (yesterday), I got the new turbo installed. Here it is all bolted in:

I guess my camera was having a fit when I took that pic…

Once I got the turbo in, I discovered that the line I had made is just barely too short.

I’m also not really convinced I like this solution anyway. I kinda think I want to make a braided SS line for it.

So, that brings us up to current. Trying to solve the oil feed line conundrum. Once that’s handled, it should be a pretty quick reassembly. And then I have to do a timing belt .
Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That thing is huge! I'm not to familiar with holset turbos. Is it similar to a gt30 or gt35?

So it bolts straight up and the down pipe has no problems?

Good stuff dave.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
That thing is huge! I'm not to familiar with holset turbos. Is it similar to a gt30 or gt35?

So it bolts straight up and the down pipe has no problems?

Good stuff dave.
Thanks, Pauly!

It is a bit large, isn't it? . From my interneting, and my limited understanding of compressor maps, it should be pretty similar to a GT35.

Yes, it bolts up to the downpipe without issue, provided you replace the hot side housing with a triple K #8 housing .. and then cut a hole in the alternator bracket. And it looked like Josh and Dave did a bit of trimming on the compressor housing before sending it to me, but otherwise, straight bolt up. No adjustment to the mounting flange was necessary. I still haven't test fittend the intake manifold though, so I guess we'll see about that when I get there
Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Just went out and test-fitted the intake manifold and it seems like it fits. I'll have to do the countersunk screws deal, but otherwise, it looks like it'll fit without issue
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
It is a bit large, isn't it? . From my interneting, and my limited understanding of compressor maps, it should be pretty similar to a GT35.
It should be similar to a GT30r.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
It should be similar to a GT30r.
Whoops, apparently I got it wrong. Thanks for setting me straight

Quick Reply: Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12