Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car Wash Knockeded Out the Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Wash Knockeded Out the Car

So I got my nice 8.5mm Magnecore wires installed, I got brand new Bosh 7900 spark plugs installed and everything was fine. I never saw my dashboard lights so bright before! I drove the car to work today and there was some light rain and the car drove fine. So i decided to wash the car for the weekend. Finished washing it and turned on the car slowly started to reverse the car turned the steering wheel all the way and then felt a little hesitation and the car turned off... that was it now every time i try and turn the car on it just cranks like its about to start but doesn't. If i give it some gas while cranking it makes no difference... Please help. Also I noticed the battery was wet and the panel below windshield is broken on that side if that matters.

Please help
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention I have the car hooked up the the battery charger again because last time it would'nt start the battery was drained.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
max_boost951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water in the battery tray is bad news bears. May have a hole started in the battery tray. Check for moisture around the computer. I've fried a computer because i ran a wire down through that tray and didn't seal the area.

See if you have fuel pressure. My fuel pump connection is kind of exposed, may be a little corrosion.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Where is the computer and fuel pump? I am new to this car had it a few weeks most of which it doesnt drive
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

check for wet carpet and/or wet floor mates on the passanger side. the computers are located in the passanger compartment underneath the plywood footrest directly beneath the battery tray.

edit...to clarify. You access the computers from inside the passanger compartment. You will need to pull up the forward most end of the carpet to expose the plywood footrest. Four screws hold the board in place, remove them and you will find the DME/KLR modules.
Fuel pump is at the rear of the car. Passanger side, above the suspension adjacent to the fuel tank.

Another site worth spending time on when new to the 944 series is the Garage Shop Manual at http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Andral951_S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the dme relay out in the fuse box, make a jump wire. Jump 30 and 87 you should hear the fuel pump( you can disconnect the fuel line to visual see fuel, if you don't have a fuel gauge).
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

I know this is a stupid question but I don't really know how to fix cars. What do I do once the dme is visible? Do I check for water? If there is water there do I wait for it to dry or do I need a new dme?

Once I locate the fuel pump what do I do? Not sure what you mean by jump it not sure how to do that. I have a mechanic friend I can ask to come over and tell him what to do to get the car started if you guys can give me instructions.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

When you washed the car did you use the hose(or high pressure washer) in the engine bay?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Not with the hood open... I just washed the outside of the car. But I think some seals around the hood may be missing because I can see into the engine bay from where the hood ends and headlights start also under the windshield you can see into the engine bay because the plastic is broken.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ali4
Where is the computer and fuel pump? I am new to this car had it a few weeks most of which it doesnt drive
Don't feel bad I have had my well maintained 89 951,for a few years and most of that time it's been undroppable! Hydraulic clutch issues.

But to your point if you have water and electrical issues buy a can of WD40 and spray every electrical connection you can get to. WD40 won't hurt the components and it drives out moisture.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 AM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Ok I'll do the wd40 trick. Spray it on wires or anywhere? Like when I open the wood plank or the fuse box in the hood.

Do you guys think the car will start or does it need some repairs?

Another weird thing I noticed was the clutch comes up smooth but at the to couple inches it kind of pops up it didn't do that before and it has a new clutch.but the clutch used to engage very high before. I just want the car to start for now so I can put it inside the garage right now it's on a decline on the driveway so I can't even push it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I'll do the wd40 trick. Spray it on wires or anywhere? Like when I open the wood plank or the fuse box in the hood.

Another weird thing I noticed was the clutch comes up smooth but at the to couple inches it kind of pops up it didn't do that before and it has a new clutch.but the clutch used to engage very high before. I just want the car to start for now so I can put it inside the garage right now it's on a decline on the driveway so I can't even push it.
Spray the WD 40 on all the connections you can see, it wont hurt the ECU, actually if you can, pull the distributor cap and spray in there. If the cap has water in it, it would kill the car! That is where I learned that trick, drove a 83 Celica through a flooded intersection, distributor got flooded, pulled the cap off and sprayed it with WD 40 fired right up, the WD 40 displaces moisture.

Yep I have a 951 that does not want to go into the garage also! You can buy a boat winch at Harbor freight for 25, 30 bucks, mount it in the garage floor with concrete bolts and winch it in! Just unscrew the winch from the floor when your done! You.ll need a Hammer-drill for the holes. You need to keep repositioning a wheel chuck as you pull the car up.

Yeah I know but what can you do!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 AM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Just tried starting the car again still not starting. Also the carpet is dry on passenger side.. will pull carpet in the morning, but i still dont fully understand what to do once the dme is exposed.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Just tried starting the car again still not starting. Also the carpet is dry on passenger side.. will pull carpet in the morning, but i still dont fully understand what to do once the dme is exposed.
If the foot well carpet on the passanger side is dry then the cause of your problem is most likely not the computers.
Pull up the carpet and look for signs of water coming in and around the dme, if you don't notice anything I wouldn't bother opening the module.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whatever that is, it's different. Foprget about it until this is done.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Knockeded Out the Car