Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Caliper seals wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper seals wont fit

Calipers all cleaned up, pistons cleaned up, called Karl and ordered the 28MM/30MM for the rear, 38/36 for the fronts.

First 28MM seal gets some lube and gets placed in the bore. Nice fit. Time for the piston and dust boot/seal. No way it'll go into the recess in the caliper. It actually fits in the larger 30MM hole, but is just a hair too small to be a press fit.

The boots marked 30MM dont have a prayer of going in the 30MM bore, either.

Is there such a thing as a 26/28 rear caliper?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Digging around, it looks like the 86 is going to need the "scraper" style, not the "dust boot" style outer seal. It also appears that some have used the stop tech kits with the older calipers, and some have said it wont work.

I'm open for a beating and suggestions.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny there is a thread on these things in the racing forum. The pre-89 used scrapers. The seals are the same, the boots won't work. I rebuilt my calipers just replacing the seals using Stop Tech parts. Some were tight. I used a picked, and ran it around underneath the seal to kind of "lift" it up, and it did the trick. Not sure this helps, but you do at least have the right seals, which are the more important thing.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, the 28MM seal went in nice and tight. The piston went in with light thumb pressure, and I was able to remove it with my fingers. I used Dow Corning 4 for lube.

We have a shop here in Indy that sells actual Brembo seals/parts. I'm going to try them Monday. They had the parts I needed, but were more expensive than racers edge. Every time I try to save a little, it haunts me in delays, wrong parts, and frustration. I'm just going to start shopping for the highest price on everything....
Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Yeah, the 28MM seal went in nice and tight. The piston went in with light thumb pressure, and I was able to remove it with my fingers. I used Dow Corning 4 for lube.

We have a shop here in Indy that sells actual Brembo seals/parts. I'm going to try them Monday. They had the parts I needed, but were more expensive than racers edge. Every time I try to save a little, it haunts me in delays, wrong parts, and frustration. I'm just going to start shopping for the highest price on everything....;)
LOL So true ....
Bring the KY jelly ... those things are very steep ....
I feel for ya bud! I have been bending over so much lately, I walk around like Quasimodo now...
GL
Regards
Ed
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

KY! I just discovered that the DC4 I used to install the seals works great as a personal lubricant, for times like this.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I ended up getting the kits from the dealer because nothing else had all the right parts. Even within model years you need to measure your pistons to make sure you get the right sizes...
Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Indeed. I went ahead and reused the scrapers. The dealer may have the old style scrapers (with pistons) but measuring the pistons won't matter, at least in my case, and anyone else trying to use a stoptech kit in an old style caliper.

Quick Reply: Caliper seals wont fit