Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not taking any credit for welds, haha their dads, we actually used a TIG but a small one limited to steel and stainless, wont do aluminum
Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Nice father son project. I can't get my son in the garage to save his life. Funny bc he used to live out there when he was a toddler. Now he's all about racing his bike. Good and bad I suppose.

I look forward to your impression of the turbo.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should make an 'initial impression vid' of when you take it for a drive and open it up.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Nice father son project. I can't get my son in the garage to save his life. Funny bc he used to live out there when he was a toddler. Now he's all about racing his bike. Good and bad I suppose.

I look forward to your impression of the turbo.
Thanks, atleast theres still the motor sport in him! so i wouldn't say it's a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Black51
You should make an 'initial impression vid' of when you take it for a drive and open it up.
I most likley will, i'll make 2... 1 when i get it up and running after i set the boost just enough so the stock clutch can handle it. and 2nd after i change the clutch and ran it in i'll up the boost to 18-20 psi
Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Today i got started on the down pipe to join on the rest of the exhaust. Pretty much all i was doing was piece by piece cutting and fitting (going with the stock curves) to get it to fit. no welding yet, just test fitting and stickytape together to get a rough idea how it will sit. i just hope it wont move much when it gets welded together.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

niccceee! is the exhaust going to be a 1 piece, or are you going to have a flange somewhere?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
niccceee! is the exhaust going to be a 1 piece, or are you going to have a flange somewhere?
There will be 2 V-Band flanges in the whole exhaust, not exactly sure where i'll put them yet but 1 will be at the down pipe probably just before it goes under the car and other one mid way between the 2 i suppose.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So today i decided to fix up the AFM wire in the engine bay, it use to be zip tied in a bundle out of the way since i used a afm replacement piggyback (afmlink) and now i'll be going M-Tune so i thought id clean it up so it wont break and look crap like how it did.

What i did was cut away all the original plastic covers, cut the wires in half, covered the wires in 3 layers of tape then put head shrink on it. Did it to both sides then soldered the wires in the middle, then heatshrinked it together. looks alot better then what it did..

The left overs of what was the covers...

Chopped and stripped..

3 layers of tape then heat shrink

Did both sides, the soldered the 2 back together. Before i did that i slipped heatsrink over the piece i cut off so when they're joined i taped it together with a few layers then slipped the heatsrink over it and shrunk it together.

Finished
Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 AM
blown 944
Race Car

If I may make a suggestion. Putting a v band just below the brake booster helps when doing repairs such as clutch, aos, most anything that would require a little more room.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
If I may make a suggestion. Putting a v band just below the brake booster helps when doing repairs such as clutch, aos, most anything that would require a little more room.
Note taken, thanks i'll try put is as close as possible, pretty much a spot where i can easly get my hands in
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 AM
blown 944
Race Car

That's exactly how I figured out where to put mine. Ie; easy access.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Paulyy, did you inspect the AFM connector underneath the rubber boot? I have seen many AFM connectors with bad (corroded, deteriorated,..) wires at the back of the connector causing all sort of problems. One of the reasons I no longer like the pigtail adapters to connect the MAF to the AFM plug.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Paulyy, did you inspect the AFM connector underneath the rubber boot? I have seen many AFM connectors with bad (corroded, deteriorated,..) wires at the back of the connector causing all sort of problems. One of the reasons I no longer like the pigtail adapters to connect the MAF to the AFM plug.
John, yeah i did inspect it, theres nothing wrong with it. It has been in use before with the stock afm not long after i took the car apart for testing the air temp sensor. and after that it still was in use with the air temp sensor to run with the piggyback
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Finally got to work on the car again and got a few small things done.
grinded the turbo lug down, and fitted the intake. Looks easy but it took a few hours.

The other thing i was doing was painting the fuel rail which i'll get pictures when it's finished.
I'll be changing the fuel lines when i do the clutch, but i'll be getting a larger fuel pump, braided lines from the fuel pump the the rail and back.

here's some pictures

I kinda broke the swivel that goes to the turbo (Oil feed)

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice idea with the water pipe adapter. Can you describe how you did that/show any pics you might have taken when putting it together?

Also if you remove the evap system you can then get rid of that nipple under the TB. Just a thought if you have any issues in the future, it's what I did.

Quick Reply: Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)