Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone ever change a oil pressure sensor from the top vs the bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Has anyone ever change a oil pressure sensor from the top vs the bottom?

Hey All
I am thinking of replacing the oil pressure sending unit ( it seems the outside housing is loose ) No clue what effect it may have on it? It was working, when I started this endeavor but lets no go there...

I wish I had changed this out back about 40 parts ago, as most, if not all of that bottom end is now finished...
So I have to pull out a lot of stuff off yet again, if I can't get to it from the top .... ****TTTTTTTTTTTT!!
Tell me please someone was sucessful in doing this from the top, above the oil filter?
ps
have you ever notice the price difference of this unit from a Porsche dealer vs a reputable Porsche parts dealer ? It's 3 x the price .. 2x I can understand but 3x is a bit much
TIA
Regards
Ed
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hey.... don't all answer at once
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i dont have a 951 but i have a 951 oil cooler setup on my car. and i can change it from the bottom with a short 15/16" wrench. i had to cut maybe 6 inches off the wrench to get it to fit though.

remove your PS pump before you try though
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i dont have a 951 but i have a 951 oil cooler setup on my car. and i can change it from the bottom with a short 15/16" wrench. i had to cut maybe 6 inches off the wrench to get it to fit though.

Thanks Spencer
I wanted to avoid having to take off the PS pump for the third time ...
I think the unit is fine, but the outer housing had been banged into because its so close to the PS hard line that runs along side of it. The rubber protective contact boots on the electrical leads hits that hard line.. I think I am going to just take a crap shoot, and leave it and hope for the best ...
I have no problem cutting a wrench to save me from having to pull off the PS pump ...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not easy to get to even with a cut - off wrench from below. Probably impossible from the top. BEWARE the 2 electrical connection studs are hollow and are very fragile. Tighten those very gently.
I have used after market and porsche senders. I have had various results with aftermarket units. For the trouble to change insist on OEM, it doesn't have to be purchased from a dealer to get OEM. I bought one from Bap Geon in Norolk, Va. for under $50. Their phone is 757-440-0004. GL
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rip It
It's not easy to get to even with a cut - off wrench from below. Probably impossible from the top. BEWARE the 2 electrical connection studs are hollow and are very fragile. Tighten those very gently.
I have used after market and porsche senders. I have had various results with aftermarket units. For the trouble to change insist on OEM, it doesn't have to be purchased from a dealer to get OEM. I bought one from Bap Geon in Norolk, Va. for under $50. Their phone is 757-440-0004. GL
Is the OEM of this sensor VDO or FAE ?
Thanks for your input and the info
Regards
Ed
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably VDO, considering they make the gauge cluster.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Thanks Spencer
I wanted to avoid having to take off the PS pump for the third time ...
I think the unit is fine, but the outer housing had been banged into because its so close to the PS hard line that runs along side of it. The rubber protective contact boots on the electrical leads hits that hard line.. I think I am going to just take a crap shoot, and leave it and hope for the best ...
I have no problem cutting a wrench to save me from having to pull off the PS pump ...
mine got crashed into and bent at a 45* angle and still didn't leak
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

mine got crashed into and bent at a 45* angle and still didn't leak
Actually thank God, is not leaking its just got some play in the outside housing
I am just going to leave it for now ,.. and if there are any issues with it down the road, ..
I'll just blame my friend Tom LOL
Regards
Ed
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WHOA Whoa whoa.... Remove the PS pump?

15/16 crows foot. Turn the wheels all the way to the right, and replace it. Don't even have to jack up the car.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
WHOA Whoa whoa.... Remove the PS pump?

15/16 crows foot. Turn the wheels all the way to the right, and replace it. Don't even have to jack up the car.
As per Clarkes ....:
On normally aspirated cars the power steering pump may not have to be removed to access the oil pressure sending unit. On turbocharged cars and normally aspirated 944s that have added external oil coolers, the addition of oil lines for the external oil cooler provides additional obstruction that requires the power steering pump be moved out of the way to access the oil pressure sending unit.

Disconnect the power steering pump (leaving all lines attached) and hang it out of the way. Remove the belt tension adjusting turnbuckle without changing the adjustment and you will be able to reinstall the pump without having to adjust the belt.
Disconnect the two wire leads to the oil pressure sending unit (located just below the oil filter).
NOTE
When you replace the unit, you should use a new crush washer on the sender. The Porsche PET nor the 944 Parts and Technical Reference Catalog show a crush washer on the sending unit. However, on every car I've ever replaced the sending unit, there was a crush washer. So, go to your local auto parts store and get an M18 x 24 (the important part is the M18) aluminum or copper crush washer.

Using a 15/16" or 24mm stubby open end wrench, loosen the oil pressure sending unit. Have some catch rags in place to catch any oil that drips out. Also, have the new sending unit ready to install to minimize the amount of oil that drips out.
Remove the old sending unit and immediately insert the new one. Torque the sending unit to 35 Nm (25 ft-lbs). This will require a 24 mm (15/16") open ended crow's foot for your torque wrench. If you don't have one and don't want to go buy one, just make sure the sending unit is snug but, don't force it or you'll damage the seal ring. As long as you use a new seal ring, it shouldn't leak.
Reconnect the wires to the terminals of the new sending unit.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What the book (and clarks) says to do, and what you can actually do in a pinch, is usually 2 different things....

However, I will say that had you highlighted the upper paragraph in that quote, it would have been more accurate. I assumed the OPS on the NA and Turbo cars was in the same location. I am probably wrong in that assumption....
Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
What the book (and clarks) says to do, and what you can actually do in a pinch, is usually 2 different things....

However, I will say that had you highlighted the upper paragraph in that quote, it would have been more accurate. I assumed the OPS on the NA and Turbo cars was in the same location. I am probably wrong in that assumption....
no worries ... at this point I am going to pass on changing it and if I do have to change it .. I will try to see if it can be done .. maybe one of those really bent & twisted wrenches may be in order ... ?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Hey.... don't all answer at once
I don't see doing it. Move the PS stuff and it's easy. From the top, it's a long reach and the oil filter, Wp to heater hose is in the way as well as having limited general space.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
I don't see doing it. Move the PS stuff and it's easy. From the top, it's a long reach and the oil filter, Wp to heater hose is in the way as well as having limited general space.
Hey E
I am going to blow it off for now ... I don't even know if its bad, besides if it is bad, and I have to change it later, it's the same amount of work then as it would be now....
Hope all is well
Regards
ED

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever change a oil pressure sensor from the top vs the bottom?