Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust leak -- header to crossover

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust leak -- header to crossover

I have an exhaust leak that I am fairly certain is coming from the header to crossover connection. Is it possible to only remove the 6 bolts at this junction, fish out the sealing rings, and slip in new sealing rings? I have a feeling this is wildly optimistic.

Alternatively, I assume I could just buy the Lindsey copper gasket version and slip those in without much trouble? http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...-CG-XHEAD.html

I really don't want to loosen the headers or remove the crossover.

The origin of this problem is that some of the nuts at the header/crossover connection loosened up about 9 months after my SFR headers were installed a few years ago. I heard the leak develop and retorqued all 6 nuts/bolts. At the time it seemed to have mostly cured the leak, but it's come back despite all 6 nuts being tight. I know these crush rings don't usually fail, but I suspect that the loosening and retorquing is akin to trying to use them twice, which I also know does not work.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Fastrax203
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unbolted mine and by using a pry bar on the header pipes I made a small gap big enough to slip the new seals in. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastrax203
I unbolted mine and by using a pry bar on the header pipes I made a small gap big enough to slip the new seals in. Worked like a charm.
Wow, you were able to get the old rings out that way? Sounds like you got lucky that they were not stuck in their grooves like normal, and that you didn't crack a pipe!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Fastrax203
Instructor

They were stuck! I used a very thin pick (Snap-On, tempered steel) to scrape it out. After I unbolted the X-Pipe, for whatever reason, I was left with about a 1/8" gap between the runners and the x pipe flange.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR
I have an exhaust leak that I am fairly certain is coming from the header to crossover connection. Is it possible to only remove the 6 bolts at this junction, fish out the sealing rings, and slip in new sealing rings? I have a feeling this is wildly optimistic.
The optimistic part is where you think its just bad O rings….start looking for cracks. If you have a crack in the header pipes the shielding will channel the exhaust leak down to the flange area. On the crossover side it is not uncommon to get a crack in the junction of the two pipes….right near the flanges.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be just my luck. Fortunately, I got the car up on jackstands today, took a good look around, and then started it and felt all around. The only leak I could find is from the header to crossover connection. It's a pretty healthy leak -- it's radiating out of the joint in all directions and leaving plenty of soot marks as evidence.

It sounds from the exchange above that it's not totally impossible to fish the OE rings out and replace them in situ, but it's not likely to work. I guess I'll order the Lindsey copper gaskets and give that a try. I'll report back on the results after I get them in next weekend.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

I realize that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to comment on the Lindsey Racing copper header gaskets. Yes, they work and they work beautifully. My 951 had a horrible leak at the header-to-exhaust flange, and these gaskets sealed it perfectly.

Pics: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-me-luck.html

Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
nofalls
Racer

Mancuso, did you remove the old rings or leave them?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

I left the crush rings installed. I believe Lindsey Racing recommends this, too.

Let's see how long it holds!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Using the Lindsey Gaskets did not cure my leak at that joint (with or without the rings in place), 3 sets of headers later I finally found a set that were not warped is some way and now they seal perfectly with the factory crush rings. A real pain to get right as swapping headers is not for the feint hearted....!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

Indeed it is not. I can only hope that these gaskets hold up/remain pliable, otherwise...
Old 02-05-2021, 09:43 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm getting ready to install my headers and use new crush rings in the crossover where it bolts to the headers. When I removed the old ones they had the round side facing up without any leaks, but when I searched for proper orientation I've got mixed suggestions between flat side up/round side up. I obviously only want to do this once so does it really matter or is there a proper orientation?
Old 02-11-2021, 09:09 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RonD.
I'm getting ready to install my headers and use new crush rings in the crossover where it bolts to the headers. When I removed the old ones they had the round side facing up without any leaks, but when I searched for proper orientation I've got mixed suggestions between flat side up/round side up. I obviously only want to do this once so does it really matter or is there a proper orientation?
i usually put the smaller part in the groove. This part crushes in and imo is there to “push”. The Exposed area is therefore bigger. Before you install check flatness. I faced mine on a flat belt.. they warp and therefore leak.. you can see the high spots in theses pics .. high spots all around bolts.. after I did this... no more leak.. I also welded the bolts together with a piece of steel so when I drop them in I don’t have to counterhold and break my hand holding the wrench.

Last edited by GPA951s; 02-11-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak -- header to crossover