Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TiAL Wastegate Install - Wish me luck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Mancuso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TiAL Wastegate Install - Wish me luck!

Hey hey rennlisters!

Wish me luck; I'm about to tackle a 38mm TiAL wastegate install, plus some "while I was there" maintenance which includes ICV replacement, vacuum hose replacement/rerouting, gasket replacement, boost solenoid relocation, and flux capacitor recharging.

The beer is chilling and the band-aids are ready...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck! Don't forget to post some pics.

I noticed that you have the Koni's. Being an '86 I assume you used the conversion method? Did you change the springs? What level of dampening are you running at? How's the ride? What did you set the rear shocks at?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least you don't have to install old WG back. Most likely some of the old studs will snap.... Post pictures of Tial setup, we are going to make similar installation to son's project 951. Remember flux capacitor recharg need at least 5.3 gigawatts current. Hope you got same kind of lightning available as we had in couple of days ago
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take some pics and make a DIY, interested in this as well... =)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

UPDATE:

I had to postpone this project for a bit (broken/damaged parts and other issues). I will provide pics and a walk-through of sorts, however, when the time comes.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

Here we go! The TiAL 38mm Wastegate (with adapter plates) and custom 3" exhaust is now complete.

Note: The oil you see is a healthy dose of penetrating oil (PB Blaster). You most definitely want to do this prior to removing any exhaust component. And, pay no attention to the dirt and smudges on the paint; it's been raining like crazy here.
Attached Images                

Last edited by Mancuso; 02-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

Notice how the TiAL was in the wrong position (inlet and outlet reversed)? That was the only way that the wastegate would fit without modification. Now, there are two problems with installing it this way:

One: It's setup the wrong way.
Two: It's setup the wrong way.

You'll see huge spikes in boost and your car will buck like a bronco. Given that Porsche mechanics even make this mistake, don't be too hard on yourself if you do the same... just fix it! Unlike the stock wastegate, the bottom of the TiAL is the INLET.

Those of you that are considering an install like this need to understand that the modification required on a one-piece exhaust crossover, while not extensive, is most likely beyond the scope of your average home mechanic; this is due to tools, workspace, fabrication machinery, et al.

The guys at Lambs Muffler in Waco, TX did a fantastic job for an extremely reasonable price. No other shops even considered touching the exhaust when they heard the word "Porsche"... these guys are pros.

A custom 3" exhaust (wastegate dump tied in) with Flowmaster and TiAL 38mm Wastegate, and copper gaskets from Lindsey Racing installed for less than 1/2 the cost of many pre-fab exhaust systems? Yes. I'll take two.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Bump and Moved for ya'...

Best Always!

John D.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Mancuso
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure why this was so difficult, is the '86 exhaust different? I was able to bolt in a couple hours.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=72025

Just curious...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 86 has a TiAL 38mm and was bolted up with SFR adapter plates. problem with those, they are not stainless steel so they rust
It came with my car like that so i'm not complaining.. but if i were to change the stock waste gate i would have make it with no adapter plates.

My 3 bolt flange could swivel around so i could place the waste gate where i wanted to

Today i had some time so i cut up (by hand ) the adaptor plates and did what i just said.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The '86 came with a one piece crossover, so the waste gate pipe was not removable. This makes the install a PITA because you have very little adjustment in how the waste gate lines up with the rest of the exhaust. This crossover also must be removed completely to get the bell housing off, adding about 2-3hrs onto a clutch job.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The '86 came with a one piece crossover, so the waste gate pipe was not removable. This makes the install a PITA because you have very little adjustment in how the waste gate lines up with the rest of the exhaust. This crossover also must be removed completely to get the bell housing off, adding about 2-3hrs onto a clutch job.
Thanks for the info! Glad both of mine are '89's!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work. I like how you use the wires through the 4 hex bolts for added safety measures.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 AM
MrWalter
1st Gear

Wow! When I read Waco, TX I was kind of surprise. I'm also from the Waco surroundings. We should meet, would love to see your Porsche.

Quick Reply: TiAL Wastegate Install - Wish me luck!