Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NO NO NO NO.....AWWW S#@T!!!! (EDIT: CAR IS TOTALED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turboted
That is their 1st offer, don't settle, keep at them with proof that the car is worth no more than 1000.00
I've seen this happen many times. They offer you half out of the gate so they can avoid a full payout. Give it some time and another "department" may give you a ring with a better offer. Lots of nice parts on your car to help you build another car or keep many other 944's alive it would be a shame to see them all go to waste in a junk yard.

Good luck with all of it and I hope your job search works out as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboted
I agree...a $7500 buyback is ridiculous. But things happen for a reason. I'm trying to keep my ego in check at the moment...and its not easy. Looking at this as a blessing might seem odd. But right now, I can use the cash more than I can use another long-term project, like a re-tub, no matter how much I want to do it. Shocking for some of us to hear that, I know...I'm shocked myself, for thinking it. Thanks for all of your support, as I mourn the loss. And that's no joke, I've gone through 3 of the 6 stages of grief in the past few hours.
Dude I went through the exact same thing. I was building a dream and then it just got all twisted half way through. If you are even remotely having thoughts about taking the cash then give yourself sometime to think on it. What would be best is to haggle the buy back down and then come onto rennlist and part her out. That way you can maximize your dollar. I didn't have the time nor the patience to deal with that crap so I just sold the car as a whole.

Nothing wrong with taking the money and calling it a day. These projects get longer and longer and more expensive by the year.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who was this insured with? And was it an agreed value policy?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its not the best comment, but wow, that kinda looked fun! amazing sideways distance!

we nearly rolled over, when ice racing this weekend, nothing like 3 adults screaming like little girls, with car up on 2 wheels, spinning madly.. you kinda feel alive, after you have stopped, and you can walk out safely.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Nothing wrong with taking the money and calling it a day. These projects get longer and longer and more expensive by the year.
Indeed. This is why I'm letting it go. As much as I would love to haggle with the insurance company and rebuild or 'Lart it out', I simply don't have the means, space, or energy for such a project right now. And I'm getting as much as of money's worth out of the car as I can possibly expect in this economy. The insurance company agreed to let me yank a few aftermarket parts off the car, so I'll have some goodies up for sale shortly, the cost of which should also help defray the loss.

Originally Posted by anders44
I know its not the best comment, but wow, that kinda looked fun! amazing sideways distance!

we nearly rolled over, when ice racing this weekend, nothing like 3 adults screaming like little girls, with car up on 2 wheels, spinning madly.. you kinda feel alive, after you have stopped, and you can walk out safely.
Ice racing sounds a bit more fun and exciting than mowing the mangroves. I think one of us had a better idea what they were getting themselves in for, too. But yes, always a good day when you can walk out safely and learn a valuable lesson in the process.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I love my car to death, my wife thinks of the car as my girlfriend or 2nd wife since I spend so much time on it. But if the insurance company (or anybody, really) offered me a check for $15k, *and* allowed me to take off some of the parts I'd put on, I don't think I'd need more than a few seconds to think about it.

I don't blame you one bit for taking the cash. $15k for a 951 is pretty good money these days.

Hell take the $15k, pocket $7500, and take the other $7500 and buy one of the many 951's that pop up for sale here on Rennlist that are in pretty good shape.

Once you buy the car back, even if you get it for a song, it'll have a salvage or rebuilt title. Which means that, once you restore it (if you were to restore it), you'll always have that salvage title and the car will be REALLY hard to get rid of when you decide you want something else.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hopefully you can pull that rear hatch and wheels and switch out for crappy rear hatch and scratched and faded phonies?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Id be grabbing the wheels, hatch, steering wheel, dash, seats, MAF+dme/klr haha Some nice parts on that one.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Just found the post where you were trying to sell it for $12k. (I thought the car seemed familiar)

You're getting $15k from the insurance. That's a $3k bonus over what you were hoping to get. In my book that's called a done deal!

Quick Reply: NO NO NO NO.....AWWW S#@T!!!! (EDIT: CAR IS TOTALED)