Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Innovate LM-2 Public Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Just a caution based on my own experience with innovate products... I set up 4 LC-1 widebands (one per cylinder) for individual cylinder trim in the motec but the analog outs all failed. This is aparently a common problem due to the sensitivity of the chips if the analogues are earthed even momentarily. In my case I was aware of this before install and followed the install instructions to the letter with the greatest of care but they worked for a while then failed. Additionally I had problems with the serial port connections for daisy chaining the sensors causing the sensors to fail to initiate which despite several calls to Innovate was never resolved.

My ultimate conclusion was that although potentially capable products they are far too touchy for serious motorsport applications which need to be robust and reliable.
So what are you using now?

The LM-2 manual is a little contradictory on the earthing of the Analogue NB02 output. In one section is says to only connect the signal (analogue out) wire from the LM-2 to the O2 signal in to the DME and leave the other 2 wires (heater and ground) disconnected. The figure/schematic then shows that the analogue outs have to be earthed.

Did the LC-2 still work with wide band after the NBo2 failed?

From your suggestion it seems I may be better to only leave the WBO2 in during tuning.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have read quite a few people have had failed analogue on the LC1s. The voltage output just goes to 0 for both the narrow and wide band signal. Interestingly in my case it wasn't the sensors themselves that failed and I can still get an O2 reading through the digital output on the LC1s, provided I read them individually from the serial cable output without them being chained together, but the digital signal needs some type of conversion to an analoge voltage to be useful as an input in the motec and I haven't seen anyone figure that out.

I can still watch individual cylinder AFRs during tuning with the digital connection but am unable to use the data for direct control by the ECU. The motec still has onboard wideband anyway which connects to an additional sensor at the base of the extractors which it uses for closed loop tuning so it is not the end of the world, just a bit of a waste of money for what was supposed to provide a very nice tuning refinement in the ECU.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

I checked the Innovate Forums and can't find a case of the LM-2 unit analogue outs failing - usually LC-1s. Have there been any cases of the LC-2's failing?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really know about the LM-2. Hopefully not. Also I read there was a particular period where it was a problem, maybe a batch of bad chips. Innovate apparently replaced a number of LC-1s for people. Being in Dubai I never got as far as chasing replacements, it was just too much hassle. If it hasn't fallen off the container ship yet and turned into an artificial reef, I will have another look at them when the car arrives in Australia!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tired everything with the tach signal from the DME. all crap.

the RPM just straight lines after 4000 rpm. i used a 20k pot, 6x 5 ohm resistors and it was all the same. I'm going to try the coil again and see how that reads. i'm pretty sure i found a good signal from there.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

I assume the tach R- blue lead is grounded to the DME ground?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

yep. that run was grounded. it didn't make any difference for me.
tomorrow ill try the coil signal.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

My LM-2 is a little funny.

Previously it would log my boost very jagged, now it's smooth.. Strange. have a look:

You can see how much the top red line is smoother then the bottom red line. no smoothing. Really only difference is i'm using a different SD card..

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the old SD card was slower I/O and the logger couldn't write log updates close enough to real-time? Just a guess.

Oh, and you revived your own 1.5-year old thread!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Maybe the old SD card was slower I/O and the logger couldn't write log updates close enough to real-time? Just a guess.

Oh, and you revived your own 1.5-year old thread!
That's what i was thinking. But the RPM would log smooth..
I'm not complaining but just weird. It only happend when its logging, on the display its smooth.

Yes haha i have! i figured i'd keep the LM-2 info in one thread. i wish i could change the title to mega thread but it wont let me edit my post.

Quick Reply: Innovate LM-2 Public Feedback