I wonder what this guy thinks?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I wonder what this guy thinks?
He thinks you should hide yo kids, hide yo wife , cause halloween is coming up soon.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found his dog yesterday....errybodys wearing kevlar collars...
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Kevlar ballistic vest costs $400 or less and contains enough kevlar for few hundred kevlar reinforced belts. So price is that high only because of exclusivity, not actual cost of production/material.

Regular belts drive atleast 90% cars in europe and if maintained, they almost never fail, so they are safe to use on stock car.

But if the car is modified in a way that belt is under more stress than usual, it is probably a good idea to swap it with kevlar.

Besides, if they made 944 nowdays they would use regular belt like all car manufacturers for the same reason they make porsches from steel just like they did in the 80s. And everybody knows that carbon fibre is better material.

Last edited by Voith; 10-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

He was invited to perform his remix at the BET Entertainment Awards...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Besides, if they made 944 nowdays they would use regular belt like all car manufacturers...
Wrong. They spec belts made with NHBR compounds and updated belt path materials on cars nowdays.
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
slap929
Pro

Noob sauce, and no Gator is not only good for crappers(i dont know any of those). Ihaza944t needs to go fine the one about Lart leaving the forum, or special tool. There is the "heat" you speak of.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Wrong. They spec belts made with NHBR compounds and updated belt path materials on cars nowdays.
On what cars? Medium and low price cars belts are exactly same as new 944 belts the only thing different is lenght.

I work with cars for a long time and have never seen snapped belt, with all parts arround belt working corectly. Belt failure happens when other components in contact with belt are damaged.

Kevlar belts are overpriced and will really shine only when engine is spinning way faster than 6krpm.

So I dont belive its worth extra money for doing nothing at all. (on stock car)

but for training like this, kevlar is priceless.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On what cars? Medium and low price cars belts are exactly same as new 944 belts the only thing different is lenght.

I work with cars for a long time and have never seen snapped belt, with all parts arround belt working corectly. Belt failure happens when other components in contact with belt are damaged.

Kevlar belts are overpriced and will really shine only when engine is spinning way faster than 6krpm.

So I dont belive its worth extra money for doing nothing at all. (on stock car)

but for training like this, kevlar is priceless.

by that logic, a kevlar belt would be significantly better, because it will survive better when in contact with other components that are damaged, or perhaps a fastener has been caught in the works, etc.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, ferraris that love to spin over 7500rpm use interference engines and belts since 1974, and usualy WAY longer belts than 944 belt is. (Yes, belts made with 1970 technology)

Last edited by Voith; 10-28-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
by that logic, a kevlar belt would be significantly better, because it will survive better when in contact with other components that are damaged, or perhaps a fastener has been caught in the works, etc.
Spending $150 for belt and use old degraded rollers and fasteners laying arround is in my opinion not the way to go.

If the fastener is caught, it can easily destroy kevlar belt too. Claimed 3 times stronger is not infinitely stronger, and one will only know that something is wrong when it is too late and pistons already kissed valves.

If price of kevlar belt would be $50, it would make a lot of sense. But $140+ is overpriced.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spending $150 for belt and use old degraded rollers and fasteners laying arround is in my opinion not the way to go.
Gee, ya think? DUH! Failures come from the fact that the failing component was not found prior to failure. For most, the extra strength of that kevlar belt could well save them a head rebuild, with will cost more than 100 bucks.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM
elargentino
Banned

And by the way, ferraris that love to spin over 7500rpm use belts since 1974, and usually WAY longer belts than 944 belt is.
I understand your position, but WHY?
Why would you argue against using the kevlar belt?
Just to argue?
Price?
You think it is inferior?
I believe that when someone takes the effort to make an updated part for a
944, we are in their debt. Not really a big market - they are not getting rich, believe me. So you will discourage them?

Please help me understand this thread?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this. My friend has an 84 944 N/a. We replaced just the timing belt with the Rennbay kevlar about 2 months ago. About a week ago he calls me and says the car was making a really loud screeching noise.

His timing belt tensioner seized up, and somehow the belt was strong enough to keep the tensioner moving. When we took the tensioner off it was hard as a rock .

And yeah the technology wasnt available in the 1980s. My VW Passat belt has a change interval of 105k.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elargentino
I understand your position, but WHY?
Why would you argue against using the kevlar belt?
Just to argue?
Price?
You think it is inferior?
I believe that when someone takes the effort to make an updated part for a
944, we are in their debt. Not really a big market - they are not getting rich, believe me. So you will discourage them?

Please help me understand this thread?

I respect people who develop parts for the car I love. And kevlar belt is a good addition to modified cars.

But stating that regular belt is not good and poses threat to stock 944 engine is in my opinion wrong.

Regular belt is up to its job and maybe when critical damage is made, kevlar will last few revolutions or weeks more, but it can and will fail just as regular does.

Quick Reply: Kevlar Timing Belt - Worth it?