Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(Completed!): New and improved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Completed!): New and improved!

NOTE...see my last post on this thread for the conclusion (I'll open another thread about the new combination that needs improvement)

Well after the headgasket failure last weekend (typical #4) the cars getting a little extra love! A big shout out to fellow Rennlister Phil "Phlip" on the board. Phil is doing the work and a huge relief to me knowing that he has owned multiple 951's, raced them, he's local and a technician, AND on this forum! PLUS, he knows all the street racing haunts from years ago..haha. He's been very responsive on the phone and had the head off in no time.

The PO is a great friend and would have helped me...I've always worked on my drag cars in the past. I'm full of excuses why I'm not doing this myself (lack of experience, time, more complicated, time..single parent AND I sell cars! TIME, etc., etc.). Not a simple small block this time! Would have been months of Sundays!

You could see how the gasket had degraded on the edge of cylinder #4...going back together with wide fire head gaskets. I had the head milled (was not quite flat) and freshened up...the springs were all in spec and within 3#'s of each other. Phil is planning to install a LR steam vent kit (already in his hands). The engine has been gone through before and looked good.

Found header cracks..of course (btw, just like the Turbo 6 Buick I used to own). A chassis builder friend is welding them up as we speak.

Phil found a number of other leaks, mainly vacuum as well as the flange at the bottom of the downpipe. He's "cleaning" things up. When I saw that mess under the intake manifold I had a little sick feeling in my gut. Yeah...I needed the help! Five pounds of crap in a one pound bag.

Venturi delete will happen.

So....the fun stuff

Since the factory turbo has 142k AND produces a lot of backpressure (lesson learned) I figured it was time for an upgrade! A new LR Super Series 53 is already mounted! They burned a fresh chip set to go with it ( alittle more low end timing to get it spooling, etc.). For now I'll turn the boost down, run the stock injectors and still make more power than before. Next mod will be WB, injectors and MAF...then the boost can inch up

Dave Lindsey seemed to think the car should make around 310rwhp at 15#'s with the stock inj's with room for thirty more with MAF, inj's and tuning. Sounds reasonable to me. I've had torque monsters in the past and have been MORE than happy with the acceleration with the stock turbo!
Attached Images  

Last edited by racerxrick; 10-16-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Car is running again!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:34 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

shiny
Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dillon410021
shiny
ha...and soon to be all covered up!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Nice! Keep us updated on the progress...daily is fine!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:42 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Nice! Keep us updated on the progress...daily is fine!
thanks..will do. Got the vacuum lines today for the venturi delete. Thats about it!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Default headers welded up...

As with the Turbo 6 Buick I've read how the headers are always cracked on the 951. I was tempted to get away with having the flanges welded and retaining the heat shields. SO GLAD my welder/chassis buddy insisted on cutting the heat shields away for a "look see".

Big crack between 2/3! Now all the flanges have been welded and the manifolds have been prepped for coating. Heck they look great now!

Dropped them (2 pieces right!) off at a local Dallas shop (Crosslink 972-484-3322) for a polished ceramic coating. I'll report on the quality after they are finished in the next few days. I looked at some of their work and it looked great.

I picked up the cylinder head from the machine shop today (Max Long/Long Racing Engines/Warehouse Auto Supply/Irving, TX 972-579-1887). Max has done machine work for me on heavily nitroused small blocks as well as my low 11 second Buick Turbo 6.

Won't be long now!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

At this rate, we may need twice a day updates! Great stuff.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The speed of your progress is making the rest of us look bad!

Lookin' good! What size hotside/turbine wheel did you go with on your Super 53? I'm trying to decide between that and a few others right now so it would be cool to have some real world feedback.

And all these posts of header cracks are having me worried. My car seems really, really down on power for the first minute or two of running, especially below 2500rpm. Wondering if the heat from expansion is somewhat fixing the problem... Oh well, the weather is finally nice in Florida so wrenching is actually enjoyable.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

#8 hotside Scott...

As far as the headers, even before i bought the car i read about the typical cracks. I've been there before. I could hear the leak(s) when i first started it and then they subsided...heat expansion I'm sure!

Between vacuum leaks Phil found and the header leaks spool up should "feel" similar for me!

Originally Posted by Scott H
The speed of your progress is making the rest of us look bad!

Lookin' good! What size hotside/turbine wheel did you go with on your Super 53? I'm trying to decide between that and a few others right now so it would be cool to have some real world feedback.

And all these posts of header cracks are having me worried. My car seems really, really down on power for the first minute or two of running, especially below 2500rpm. Wondering if the heat from expansion is somewhat fixing the problem... Oh well, the weather is finally nice in Florida so wrenching is actually enjoyable.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

This is a good time NOT to take the credit for the quick progress....fellow Rennlister "Phlip" is the technician actually doing the work! He is making suggestions and it's easy to tell he knows and loves these cars!

From my original post:

"A big shout out to fellow Rennlister Phil "Phlip" on the board. Phil is doing the work and a huge relief to me knowing that he has owned multiple 951's, raced them, he's local and a technician, AND on this forum! PLUS, he knows all the street racing haunts from years ago..haha. He's been very responsive on the phone and had the head off in no time."

I'm trying not to drag MY feet so he has what he needs to finish the job (and get the car off one of his lifts!).

I don't have the knowledge, time or patience to do this all myself. Been there, done that, but NOT on a 951!!! I have a buddy who is a chassis guy for the headers, a machine shop I've used over the past 30 years AND LR was very helpful on the phone which made it much easier to give them my credit card # so I'd have all the goodies!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Default Cylinder head is ready

Had a valve job done as well as new guides and seals. The head was milled flat as well.

Tomorrow morning I get the header manifolds back from ceramic coating!

Photos tomorrow of the header!!!

I can't wait...
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

looks great
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Default ceramic header coating/heat shields removed/cracks repaired

Picked up the header manifolds this morning from Crosslink Powdercoating (Patrick 972-484-3322)...wow, even better than I hoped for! Patrick is an enthusiast too...GT3 911!

$80(!)....and I think the pics will speak for themselves
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Default LR Steam Vent kit installed on head

Dropped the header off with Phil ("Phlip") at his shop this morning...he had the steam vent kit fitting installed in the head and at the overflow tank.

Now I really can't wait....!
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

damn, those headers look beautiful!

Quick Reply: (Completed!): New and improved!