Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Twincharging: brain storming phase

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twincharging: brain storming phase

The idea is mounting a supercharger and using it in series with a larger turbo.

The goal is almost zero lag, and getting 20+psi of boost around 2500rpm (and also in the lower gears)

Using a roots type supercharger (like the one found on a later 90s mercedes C230 Kompressor ), you have the charger making boost just after idle

Some benefits would include a much wider power band, and the ability to have the top end power characteristic of a large turbo; without increasing displacement. Anyone who has driven a 951 with a larger turbo has definitely complained about city driving and a power band that exists only after 4000rpm.

I feel this would be a better option than installing a S2 ring and pinion or increasing displacement

So putting tuning aside, where is it possible to mount the supercharger? I am thinking installing it where the AC compressor resides, but im afraid I wont have enough depth to install it. Many of the supercharged 944s Ive seen have the supercharger mounted where the turbo would be on our cars.

Any input on this? Has anyone successfully mounted a supercharger on a regular 944 that wouldnt interfere with our turbo hardware?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I say go for it...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

being in the process of this i can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find space for a blower and a turbo. the only possible exception i can think of is the M90 supercharger off a jaguar XJR-6, it has a very short snout and should mount where the alternator is presently in front of the motor mount where the turbo mounts to. the more common M90s off of thunderbirds and GM cars have too long of snouts to fit in those spots and need to be mounted higher, in the way of the turbo.

talk to blown944, hes the most knowledgeable about twincharging here.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
being in the process of this i can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find space for a blower and a turbo. the only possible exception i can think of is the M90 supercharger off a jaguar XJR-6, it has a very short snout and should mount where the alternator is presently in front of the motor mount where the turbo mounts to. the more common M90s off of thunderbirds and GM cars have too long of snouts to fit in those spots and need to be mounted higher, in the way of the turbo.

talk to blown944, hes the most knowledgeable about twincharging here.
Thats exactly the problem I was expecting, depth.

I didnt know the jaguar used a shorter M90, do you have any measurements? I dont have any problem fabbing up some brackets... I have all the time and space I need, the engine is out of my other 951.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the ford one is like 16.5 long and the jag is like 14, not much but it is likely enough.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

A friend of mine's twin-twin-charged engine:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ your friend is taking the name Power Wagon a little too literal.

Turbo super charging one of these engines should be neat.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am trying to get back to it on my gold car but may just go ahead and start messing with it on the black one since it is already dailed in pretty much. I have also found a nice little Talon for my daily fix so that frees up the black one for some modding.

I have been messing with anti lag and even though it works for short bursts now and then, it doesn't cure the laggy drive of a bigger turbo. I really want to get it done..now to find the time. I had thought about temporarily mounting the blower directly to my custom intake for ease of fabrication and use a large pulley on the blower to keep the heat down and to make the plumbing easier. I could leave the turbo where it is for now and mount the blower to either the side or top of my fabbed intake. Obviously this would just be for testing since it would be an eyesore. Once the setup was solid in regards to performance I would use teh header I made for teh passenger side placement of the turbo.

I wil get it done one day...probably after my kid stops requiring all my time...
Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

What about a centrifugal supercharger instead of a roots blower? Or would that not produce enough boost in the low end for your tastes?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 PM
blown 944
Race Car

centrifical acts very much like a turbo..too much for my tastes.

I would like to have a twin screw though and maybe even eliminate the turbo if it worked out ok.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

You guys could just run a centrifugal with a smaller pulley, than put a wastegate on the IC pipe (recirculate the waste boost), to limit max boost...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM
beebone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
The idea is mounting a supercharger and using it in series with a larger turbo.

The goal is almost zero lag, and getting 20+psi of boost around 2500rpm (and also in the lower gears)

Using a roots type supercharger (like the one found on a later 90s mercedes C230 Kompressor ), you have the charger making boost just after idle

Some benefits would include a much wider power band, and the ability to have the top end power characteristic of a large turbo; without increasing displacement. Anyone who has driven a 951 with a larger turbo has definitely complained about city driving and a power band that exists only after 4000rpm.

I feel this would be a better option than installing a S2 ring and pinion or increasing displacement

So putting tuning aside, where is it possible to mount the supercharger? I am thinking installing it where the AC compressor resides, but im afraid I wont have enough depth to install it. Many of the supercharged 944s Ive seen have the supercharger mounted where the turbo would be on our cars.

Any input on this? Has anyone successfully mounted a supercharger on a regular 944 that wouldnt interfere with our turbo hardware?
The problem is, how to handle the transition from supercharge to Turbo in certain rpm, and the supercharger location, I think you have to give up the original intake manifold in order to instal S.C.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
You guys could just run a centrifugal with a smaller pulley, than put a wastegate on the IC pipe (recirculate the waste boost), to limit max boost...
Recirculating the waste boost would reduce the power drain of the supercharger at high RPM, yes?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Yes, some - but if you recirculate it right back to the compressor, I doubt the loss would be that much. And with the wastegate you could get to max boost much quicker - overall the car would be faster.

Here is an article, where they did this on a mustang:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me remind you guys of a few of the old truths turbos make more power than blowers genrally speaking due to the parisidic drive loss of the blower unless you want to go crazy compound boost i dont see fitting both as worth while considering the amount of work involved ..... here are few configuration's i think would yield near 400hp and reasonable 8psi at 2400rpm
Gt28 or 30 with twin scroll and "qiuck spool" gated plate
Gt35vgt from a truck (i'm doing one)
twin gt 25's
compleate staged twin turbo set up from jap car mazda or toyota
an eaton M90 only cheap with 1.1m long secondary header pimps into 9lt expansion chamber and 3" tail pipe with a bit of a cam upgrade ..
if you have propane or e85 in town build a 11:1 engine for turbo charging it only needs 8psi to make resonable tourqe and is pretty strong off boost ..
if you dont like the idea of building engines i think an M90 conversion on a turbo engine would be worth while

an eaton M90 is cheap and will do exactly waht you want

Quick Reply: Twincharging: brain storming phase