Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Top Turbo choices....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top Turbo choices....

What is the absolute best performing turbo for these cars? Low-end & high end....400~ish rwhp would be the max. My understanding is the TiAL version (no longer available...IIRC, azmi951 has one) is hands down the best. But any further insight is appreciated.

Supporting mods:
~Vitesse MAF/chips/SMT6
~83lbs Injectors/3 Bar
~3" FabSpeed Exhaust
~Vitesse EBC
~TiAL 38
~Current 27/6DR by PowerHaus
....and plenty more, but I think these are the ones that have bearing.

Cost does not matter.

I want it to perform everywhere and all the way to redline. Running 17 or 18psi.

Please note if it is a bolt up, or needs mods/adaptors/etc....

TIA
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Best case, do the exhaust work and get a GT series turbo. I've run personally, driven or ridden in nearly every turbo offered for the 944 series, and you're not going to get a better over all turbo than that line. Period. Although, you'll need to have the exhaust work done and possibly get a Tial mount. I would spend the money there than an overpriced turbo. IMO. PM me if you want more details.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exhaust work/fab has to be done. I don't care about who does it, vendors, etc. I just want to know what has to be done.
Thanks Derek.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I runa 60-1 with a T-3 exhaust. I made the true 2-1/2" crossover and 3" vand down pipe. It seems really good all around and doesn't run out of boost The hotside is a .63 ar with the v-band outlet. There are probably other better setups out there, I went to it from a 27/6. I've always wondered about a gt 35 or 30
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by ehall
What exhaust work/fab has to be done. I don't care about who does it, vendors, etc. I just want to know what has to be done.
Thanks Derek.
IIRC, both of the exhaust attachment points have to have new ends welded on to match the new turbo housing (which differs from a KKK)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Well if you're going to run a GT series, as in a full GT series, you'll need a way to mount it first. This subject has been beaten to death. People can search for that info, but I'll lead you to the pot of gold. The best way in the end is just to run the Tial mount. If you run the adaptor, most of those lead to oil leaks of some kind. Some work, but they're just more touchy to get right. With the Tial mount you pay out once and never think about it again, it's a fair price too, for what it is.

Due to the fact you'll be running a full GT series, the best housing to get is the full Tial SS V band housing. It's the smallest. This is important because it's quite tight at the upper balance shaft cover. You can fit a T3 housing ok, but the more space the better. It'll also give you more room for a downpipe because the smaller housing doesn't stick out as far towards the firewall. With V band in and out, you'll need the crossover modified with a V band end and you'll need the downpipe modified with a V band as well. It's relatively simple, though. With the correct instruction, any fabricator can do it and pretty quickly as well.

From that point, it's just the simple parts left. The coolant inlet and outlet will need a few extra machined pieces, AN fittings and piping. The oil inlet will need to be made, but that's easy with the use of Summit. You'll need a restrictor for the inlet of the oil as well. Depending where you get your Tial mount from, you should get the oil return to the pan as well. All very simple stuff. If anyone has specific questions on anything, PM me and I can go into greater detail. It seems like a lot of work, but you do it once and you're done. Then you have access to all the most capable turbos.

EDIT: after re-reading this I want to point out I make this sound extremely easy. It isn't terribly difficult, but there a quite a bit of steps. Not to mention the fact that after this is done, you've only mounted the turbo. You'll still need some form of engine management, etc. I just don't want people getting in over their heads. You have to choose your goal wisely and realistically, then make a decision on a turbo from there. But you asked for the best of the best, this is it. Gotta pay to play.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Originally Posted by badcoupe
I runa 60-1 with a T-3 exhaust. I made the true 2-1/2" crossover and 3" vand down pipe. It seems really good all around and doesn't run out of boost The hotside is a .63 ar with the v-band outlet. There are probably other better setups out there, I went to it from a 27/6. I've always wondered about a gt 35 or 30
Sorry OT, but are you running the reg 60-1 or the hifi series? Also what kind lag do you encounter( ie begin building boost to max boost)?

DDP,

Do you have a link for the Tail mount, Im also fixing to be mounting the GT3071r.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DDP
Well if you're going to run a GT series, as in a full GT series, you'll need a way to mount it first. This subject has been beaten to death. People can search for that info, but I'll lead you to the pot of gold. The best way in the end is just to run the Tial mount. If you run the adaptor, most of those lead to oil leaks of some kind. Some work, but they're just more touchy to get right. With the Tial mount you pay out once and never think about it again, it's a fair price too, for what it is.

Due to the fact you'll be running a full GT series, the best housing to get is the full Tial SS V band housing. It's the smallest. This is important because it's quite tight at the upper balance shaft cover. You can fit a T3 housing ok, but the more space the better. It'll also give you more room for a downpipe because the smaller housing doesn't stick out as far towards the firewall. With V band in and out, you'll need the crossover modified with a V band end and you'll need the downpipe modified with a V band as well. It's relatively simple, though. With the correct instruction, any fabricator can do it and pretty quickly as well.

From that point, it's just the simple parts left. The coolant inlet and outlet will need a few extra machined pieces, AN fittings and piping. The oil inlet will need to be made, but that's easy with the use of Summit. You'll need a restrictor for the inlet of the oil as well. All very simple stuff. If anyone has specific questions on anything, PM me and I can go into greater detail. It seems like a lot of work, but you do it once and you're done. Then you have access to all the most capable turbos.

EDIT: after re-reading this I want to point out I make this sound extremely easy. It isn't terribly difficult, but there a quite a bit of steps. Not to mention the fact that after this is done, you've only mounted the turbo. You'll still need some form of engine management, etc. I just don't want people getting in over their heads. You have to choose your goal wisely and realistically, then make a decision on a turbo from there. But you asked for the best of the best, this is it. Gotta pay to play.
Thanks Derek. I'll pm you in a bit, about this.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
CPR
Race Director

Derek,

So basically a whole new exhaust system (minus the last 6 feet), a new $400 mount plus custom fittings?

Damn....didn't think it would be THAT involved.

Thanks for the insight though
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I think the best set up with no budget or fabrication restraints is long twin 1.5" secondary pipes or smaller joined right at the hot-side into a aerocharger .the 66 the biggest one ..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Aero chargers have there own oil so dont require oil lines not sure about coolant
Old 08-17-2010, 11:26 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

CPR, you don't need an entirely new exhaust. Well, you'll want a 3 inch downpipe anyways. However, I would just modify your current crossover pipe. The downpipe can be made to use your current exhaust system. It's not much. Trust me, I did it myself. I'm slow at fabrication/welding and it didn't take me long.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Thanks Derek. I'll pm you in a bit, about this.
Waiting....
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

If you go GT (you should) get a billet wheel upgrade like a FP HTA GT 3076r. It will make a noticeable improvement .

The amazing part is that the above is still significantly less expensive than the Super vendors "only one avail and then they are gone forever" and will clobber it like a baby seal.

And yeah DDP, I am stalking you again............
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
If you go GT (you should) get a billet wheel upgrade like a FP HTA GT 3076r. It will make a noticeable improvement .

The amazing part is that the above is still significantly less expensive than the Super vendors "only one avail and then they are gone forever" and will clobber it like a baby seal.

And yeah DDP, I am stalking you again............
lol. You can stalk me all you want as long as you agree with me.

Never thought about the upgraded wheel. I like that idea, though. I assume you've owned a DSM in your lifetime. FP makes some quality stuff.

Quick Reply: Top Turbo choices....