Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Top Turbo choices....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT 3076 IMO for what you are looking for .

Bruce (95one) did a nice write up on the install.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the 60-1 hifi. I've had for about 5 years I get full boost pretty quick I haven't drove the car for a few months So i can't tell you exactly but it comes in nice and doesn't shock the rear tires too bad on launch. I originally modded the stock crossover when I still had the stock manifold. I since have made my own ss header with a 2.5" V-band collector and 2.5" crossover pipe. I swapped the hotside for a V-band one.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Derek,

So basically a whole new exhaust system (minus the last 6 feet), a new $400 mount plus custom fittings?

Damn....didn't think it would be THAT involved.

Thanks for the insight though
CP, I know I have told you what I am putting together... why not just ask someone who is already involved in putting this together RIGHT NOW?

I have parts lists, most of the parts on order or on hand, and an engine being re-assembled as this is being typed.... stand alone is already on hand, exhaust is going to be interesting... crossover and headders are arriving at the shop for modification / upgrade TODAY...

noob...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I have wanted those same parameters still waiting for the vitesse 2r to be complete. but people are saying you can not have booth factory type spoolup with 350-400hp?

I am frustrated ready to take it back to stock.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
TurboTim
Banned

The Billet 55,61,62 or 67 from Precision kick ***! LOL. I wont use anything but a billet turbo on any of my turbo cars from here on out!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Tim would be the one to listen too as uses plenty of different turbos on plenty of different cars, He probably has the most expertise on this subject here. I know tonyG used to play with turbos alot as well back in the day. To me one of the best things is ditching the kkk hotside as it limits your choices.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 PM
TurboTim
Banned

The Precision Billet turbos bolt on to the factory mount. We can machine them for the KKK hotside or you can use a T3,T4 and they also offer a V-band in/out type hot side like the Tial.You can get them in dual ball-bearing as well.You can run them with TO4E(3"in/2"out) to clear factory intake manifold or TO4S (4" in /2 or 2.5" out) for aftermarket intake manifold.The only thing that needs to be addressed is the oil feed line and you have to change that to run a GT series turbo anyways.The GTX billets from Garrett seem like they might be worthwhile but I dont know if they are available yet. From our experience, the billet turbos outperform the cast turbos by a pretty big margin.A billet 61 will outflow any cast 61 or 62mm at pretty much any boost level!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
The Precision Billet turbos bolt on to the factory mount. We can machine them for the KKK hotside or you can use a T3,T4 and they also offer a V-band in/out type hot side like the Tial.You can get them in dual ball-bearing as well.You can run them with TO4E(3"in/2"out) to clear factory intake manifold or TO4S (4" in /2 or 2.5" out) for aftermarket intake manifold.The only thing that needs to be addressed is the oil feed line and you have to change that to run a GT series turbo anyways.The GTX billets from Garrett seem like they might be worthwhile but I dont know if they are available yet. From our experience, the billet turbos outperform the cast turbos by a pretty big margin.A billet 61 will outflow any cast 61 or 62mm at pretty much any boost level!
So they mount to factory mount and all I need to do is mess with the oil feed? Out performs everything?

OK...you OFFICIALLY have my undivided attention

Tell, me more...pics/specs/availability/cost?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
So they mount to factory mount and all I need to do is mess with the oil feed? Out performs everything?

OK...you OFFICIALLY have my undivided attention

Tell, me more...pics/specs/availability/cost?
Ya know CP, when I first saw who posted this thread, I just presumed it would be retarded, but it turned out pretty good! :icon50:

j/k
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In basic terms, why is the billet wheel better than the cast wheel?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I don't know for sure but i would say that the fin profiles are probably more aggressive and that the weight is lower as well. Plus i'm sure the tolerances are much better
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by ehall
In basic terms, why is the billet wheel better than the cast wheel?
Assuming the manufacturing process is the same across the board, billet products have a longer life span, less likely to fatigue when abused, can be stronger than cast (depending on casting materials) and are cheaper to produce in smaller batch numbers.

The wheel design is what decides the efficiency. So if you had two identical designs, with one being cast and one being billet, theoritcally there can be no discernable difference.....now 5,000 miles later of hard driving, then the billet would be the same as the day it was made, the cast would show signs of degradation.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the billet, the wheels "wings" (airfoil) is thinner than the cast. This typically makes the wheel lighter, which is easier to spin-up. Also, the thinner wings mean that they take up less airspace which can allow the billet wheel to flow more (given the same size wheels).
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you gents.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
On the billet, the wheels "wings" (airfoil) is thinner than the cast. This typically makes the wheel lighter, which is easier to spin-up. Also, the thinner wings mean that they take up less airspace which can allow the billet wheel to flow more (given the same size wheels).
Garrett Turbo says no performance gains:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._Machined.html

Although I wonder if that changes when their new line comes out later this year

Quick Reply: Top Turbo choices....