Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car is officially demon spawn

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Yeah, I know. I'm in discussions now about putting in an LS1.

If that happens I'll have all sorts of goodies for sale, from the KEP PP/Cup disc/lwfw, KISS oil cooler, turbo kit, etc, etc...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
ironic, that is $3200 for:

either a stock SHORTBLOCK 2.5 ...... or a complete LONGBLOCK LS6 405hp

Hell I think you even get a warranty on the LS6

think about it Doc.
Even the Porsche purist in me can't shake a stick at that deal.

I'd like to. But I can't.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I felt my wallet making a bee-line out of my pocket to safety when I read the price of an LSx block.

I'd probably end up doing the most wicked power slide through the pearly gates with that much power.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte

If that happens I'll have all sorts of goodies for sale, from the KEP PP/Cup disc/lwfw, KISS oil cooler, turbo kit, etc, etc...
Its getting close to that all important time to "hold or fold" Good luck with the decision.

LS1
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm going to talk to Lindsey Racing tomorrow about prices to rebuild my current motor into a 2.8 or 3.0.

Then I'm going to price out LS6's and do some research into what it takes to take an LS1 close to LS6 power levels.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Its no secret that I like to stick with Porsche engines…
That being said – you do have to keep in mind that the LSx install is not just a quickie drop in job. The ones that I have seen that were done right and able to run well at the track were not cheap. If I recall Tony G was well over $20k on his project (done the right way!)

If you think you can buy a 400hp Lsx for $3200 and drop it in for another couple of $k you might just have a surprise or two coming….especially when you start to run it hard at the track.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
Its no secret that I like to stick with Porsche engines…
That being said – you do have to keep in mind that the LSx install is not just a quickie drop in job. The ones that I have seen that were done right and able to run well at the track were not cheap. If I recall Tony G was well over $20k on his project (done the right way!)

If you think you can buy a 400hp Lsx for $3200 and drop it in for another couple of $k you might just have a surprise or two coming….especially when you start to run it hard at the track.
Does this have anything to do with renegades supposedly poorly engineered parts?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Does this have anything to do with renegades supposedly poorly engineered parts?
Nope, just a general comment – kind of like when somebody thinks you can ‘just’ bolt on a turbo on a 968 engine and it will make lots of power! As the say – the devil is in the details – and there are a lot of details in doing any engine swap.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Personally when I hear of non-Porsche engine swaps, I lose interest in the whole Porsche experience.
docwyte; reading your experience, I feel your pain
But, you're not the only one who has spent way more money on a project than what it's worth. Ya just don't hear about it all because people don't want to put it in print and admit openly (to themselves) they are experiening a setback.
I've done some deals, bought engines,etc where things went sour($). And for the most part they were my fault because I didn't do due diligence. At least you did everything you could do on your part and the whole thing is just a learning experience.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not just rebuild your engine, and enjoy the upgrades that you just installed. You won't lose any more money if you sell now or later. I am in the same boat kind of. I am combining my street car and dedicted track car, So I have alot of double that I am selling and losing money.

If the block is not toast, you could send your pistons to Swain and have the skirts coated, and also the domes w/ another coating. Then have the block bored to coorect spec and then put back together. I think SKI has experence with these pistonss coatings, may want to check w/ him.

I have a set back and ready to put together for a backup shortblock, I have seen alot of positve feedback from others that had used it.

I had looked into a 3L or a stroked 2.7 in the past, but with the failures I have seen and the money lost I can justify it, esp since I can't do the work myself.

Hope you get it back staight soon, I know how dissapointed ( read pissed) you must be. We all have these bouts, some more then others, Keep your chin up it can only get better.

Steve
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Euro951
Racer

Not to add fuel to your fire but my car has over 20k of receipts easily over a 3 year span. I have it up for sale with a rebulit engine and working A/C and have only recieved an offer of 7500. I THINK I WILL KEEP MY CAR, THANK YOU..... Don't get fustrated.... just enjoy when you pass a late model 911....
Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
It's a significant job swapping a V8 into these cars. You should really consider using a Gen IV LSx instead of the 5.7L
Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

The LS1 has all the proper accessories on it to fit. I'm also working under a power constraint, I can't make more than 371rwhp before I break out of my time trial class. I'm at the track now and after talking to many of the camaro/firebird racers, I can easily hit my power goal of 360ish rhwp with an LS1 with just headers, cam and a tune.

The later LS6 motors are quite a bit more expensive to buy vs the LS1. Now if I can find an LS6 for a decent price, I'll certainly buy one.

As far as rebuilding my current motor, it's all a fiscal decision. To take the motor out of the car, disassemble it, replace whatevers wrong with it (if possible, ie, the block isn't damaged), put it all back together, then put it back in the car would cost more than picking up a local turbo s longblock.

Even that may cost me more than dropping in an LSx motor as I'll have plenty of good things to sell off the car if I drop in an LSx motor.

I've asked for quotes from Chris White as well as a shop that's done several of the LSx swaps. If both are too high to make sense, then I'll get the factory longblock locally, put it in the car, ensure all is well and sell the car.

Quick Reply: My car is officially demon spawn