Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Non-stock intercooler mounting and flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Non-stock intercooler mounting and flow

My 928 Motorsports supercharger should arrive this week and I need to decide how to route the tubing and intercooler. The car is a 944S with a 968 engine (new Franky). The placement of the SC prohibits the placement of the stock IC in the stock location, so I will need to mount it elsewhere. Pic below is the SC in a 968, notice where the SC is located.

I can spin the SC discharge any direction, so the piping can either go towards the drivers or passenger side. There will be no lights so that space is open for routing. I will need to mount the stock external oil cooler on the passenger side next to the radiator. Below is a pic of my old front end that I may reuse in the new car. The pic is old and there is now a duct in the lower right passenger side for the oil cooler. I will also need a new front piece and will go with one that does not have a stock IC cooler slot in it. I plan on placing large louvers in the hood to allow for better air flow.

So, help a FI newbie out, show me your pics of where you placed your aftermarket IC's and how you keep air flowing across it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

im curious if that sc will actually fit between the motor and radiator support on a 944 body..

for an IC you could do what i plan to if i need to go A/A: cut out the crossmember in the front between the bumper shocks and mount in front of the condenser/radiator - that space is about 24 inches wide and like 5 inches deep, about 16 tall. big ic space. you could cut out part of the middle of the bottom of the bumper too for more airflow
Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
im curious if that sc will actually fit between the motor and radiator support on a 944 body..

for an IC you could do what i plan to if i need to go A/A: cut out the crossmember in the front between the bumper shocks and mount in front of the condenser/radiator - that space is about 24 inches wide and like 5 inches deep, about 16 tall. big ic space. you could cut out part of the middle of the bottom of the bumper too for more airflow
Yes, it will fit, one has been mounted in a 944S and Carl has sent me a pic of that install. You have to cut part of the radiator support for the piping, but that's it. However, that install was on a street cart that is not going to run an IC.

I've seen the renegade piece that allows LS installers to cut the piece out that you mention and that is certainly an option.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
Yes, it will fit, one has been mounted in a 944S and Carl has sent me a pic of that install. You have to cut part of the radiator support for the piping, but that's it. However, that install was on a street cart that is not going to run an IC.

I've seen the renegade piece that allows LS installers to cut the piece out that you mention and that is certainly an option.
airflowwwww
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

That doesn't look bad at all and given that my bumper is now fiberglass, that would be quite easy to do.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

how would you plan on extracting that air though? do you have vents or anything in the hood?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the headlight space being open, I suggest using that space - an intercooler like this:

Ebay IC
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
how would you plan on extracting that air though? do you have vents or anything in the hood?
By adding hood louvers.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
With the headlight space being open, I suggest using that space - an intercooler like this:

Ebay IC
That's funny, I have that one bookmarked already
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Lol - well it would be easy to run piping. Also, it isn't overly large - so your radiator will still get decent airflow.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Most who want to use a different intercoler just drop it down inside the front bumper in front of the rad. SFR makes a kit if you want to see pics of what it looks like on his website. Should be pretty easy to figure something out on your own.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Most who want to use a different intercoler just drop it down inside the front bumper in front of the rad. SFR makes a kit if you want to see pics of what it looks like on his website. Should be pretty easy to figure something out on your own.
Without a doubt the easiest thing to do, I just am not sure if it is the best to have to heat exchange systems stacked like that. I realize that they do it with the AC/rad combination, but the IC is much thicker and I am concerned with radiator cooling when stacked.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm i think you guys really struggle to break from convention this is what i belive to be the answer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Liqui...2#ht_500wt_975
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIQUI...#ht_3288wt_825

I think you can get a realy basic small rectangle over flow tank that will fit infront of the the brake booster to free up that space..there are heaps of these on ebay make your self a few carbord scale models then get it there and try make one fit ..
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I did think about an liquid intercooler, but not sure about heat-soak for road-racing...?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Without a doubt the easiest thing to do, I just am not sure if it is the best to have to heat exchange systems stacked like that. I realize that they do it with the AC/rad combination, but the IC is much thicker and I am concerned with radiator cooling when stacked.
There have been a few listers who have installed FMICs and reported their feedback on engine temps. Techno duck did it on his 951 if you care to find the thread.

Quick Reply: Non-stock intercooler mounting and flow