Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
The energy density of ethanol is lower than gasoline, ie, less btu/gallon. It also makes the octane higher and makes detonation less of a problem.
Originally Posted by JDS968
Are you saying you can make more power because of more aggressive timing? Because my understanding was that the normal way to get more power out of E85 is to turn the boost up and, if necessary, switch to larger injectors.
Yes, the energy density is lower, but not by as much as most think. Gasoline is 114000BTU/gallon. E85 is 81800BTU/gallon. However for the same amount of air, ~33% more E85 is used. So the reality is that E85 is ~108800BTU for the same amount of air as needed for one gallon of gasoline. That is less then 5% difference in BTU between Gas and E85.
Further, in rich conditions, E85 does not drop off in power nearly as bad as gas. Gasoline max power rich is ~12.5, but E85 is ~10.5. As most turbo cars are tuning for high 11s, for safety, E85 does not suffer nearly the same amount of loss as gasoline.
Additionally, as E85 is injected it cools the intake charge much more than Gasoline does, resulting in a denser mixture. This means more power and safety, beyond what the 105octain rating implies.

-Rogue
Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my calculations, I got about 48% more fuel needed at stoichiometric, with e85.
So the specific energy (the actual energy released at proper air/fuel ratios) is about 3% higher than with regular gasoline, depending on the BTU value that's listed with various pieces of literature. This is at stoich. As mixtures richen up from there, alcohols tend to increase power slightly more than gasoline. Power will continue to increase with richer mixtures than gas, but then timing needs to be advanced to take advantage of this. There's no reason why you couldn't realize a 10% power increase just with tuning (at the same boost as with gasoline).
I'd say this is pretty good to those who wondered what the fuel alone would be good for.
Achieving density increase might not be a big part of the equation because I don't know if most of the fuel has a chance to vaporize before the intake valve closes. Probably, the biggest advantage of the cooling ability of the e85 is the in-cylinder cooling, increasing the threshold of detonation at higher power levels.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
However for the same amount of air, ~33% more E85 is used.
Originally Posted by TurboTommy
With my calculations, I got about 48% more fuel needed at stoichiometric, with e85.
Um, care to elaborate on your calculations...?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

stoich for gas is around 14.65/1
stoich for e85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) is around 9.85/1
then calculate from there
or, where did I go wrong?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

So with a piggyback like I have (SMT-6 with Vitesse), what would my max A/R be at WOT? Right now I get between 12.0 and 11.5 with WOT. Bases on what has been said in this thread I should be around 3% greater than that right? BTW what would 3% more be after 11.5 on wideband?

Last edited by gcb951; 07-15-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
stoich for gas is around 14.65/1
stoich for e85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) is around 9.85/1
then calculate from there
or, where did I go wrong?
Well, you said that it needs 48% more fuel, that would put the stoich AFR at ~7.64:1 - obviously not correct.

Take:

1 - (E85 stoich / Gas stoich)

That results in ~33.5%.

-Rogue
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
I'll let R-A handle the performance issue also, but the long term problem is the fouling it produces. Heaven forbid you dont drive your car for a month, as it dries and settles, a fine white residue is left behind and it takes a lot of 1/10 sec in a lap to clean it up. Been running it as Winter gas in the Northwest for years and I now buy 'Seafoam' by the case. Dont get me started-I'm packin.
True, but cured by dropping in some ethanol STA-BIL. It fights the water attracted by the ethanol.

And as Rogue pointed out, there are numerous benefits that, for me, would greatly out weigh any negative aspects.

Its like being able to run on race gas all the time for very cheap, plus a cooling effect on the charge air like Rogue mentioned, which would possibly raise the 105 to about 110, give or take. So even with no boost increase, which would be silly , the amount of gains from timing advance and cooler/denser charge alone would be significant across the board.

Its pretty simple, E85 is 85% ethanol which is bascially denatured alchohol made so that we can't drink it; so E85 is like running on 85% alchohol.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, the energy density is lower, but not by as much as most think. Gasoline is 114000BTU/gallon. E85 is 81800BTU/gallon. However for the same amount of air, ~33% more E85 is used. So the reality is that E85 is ~108800BTU for the same amount of air as needed for one gallon of gasoline. That is less then 5% difference in BTU between Gas and E85.
Further, in rich conditions, E85 does not drop off in power nearly as bad as gas. Gasoline max power rich is ~12.5, but E85 is ~10.5. As most turbo cars are tuning for high 11s, for safety, E85 does not suffer nearly the same amount of loss as gasoline.
Additionally, as E85 is injected it cools the intake charge much more than Gasoline does, resulting in a denser mixture. This means more power and safety, beyond what the 105octain rating implies.

-Rogue
Good info! Learn something new every day...

While we're on the subject...regarding this:
Originally Posted by toddk911
So even with no boost increase, which would be silly , the amount of gains from timing advance and cooler/denser charge alone would be significant across the board.
Would there be a similar potential for a little extra power gain naturally aspirated, by reprogramming the ECU for more spark advance? Or is it only relevant under boost? This would be with water/methanol injection, rather than race gas or E85.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

this was great as is tyhe rest of the thread!

Thanks!!

E85, I think, was invented for those of us that just always need more!!!! LOL

If I was on a stock turbo/set up I would still run e85 if I had easy access to it. It is much safer (running on race gas), plus even the stock turbo is capable of a lot more boost down low and mid range, just runs out of steam up top.

So you could run 20-25psi down low and a lot of timing for super spool up and then boost would roll off up top and e85 would safely allow that. Even if you kept 16-18psi you could then run a lot of advance which would give a lot better off boost/spool up gain, all safely done with e85
Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Well, you said that it needs 48% more fuel, that would put the stoich AFR at ~7.64:1 - obviously not correct.

Take:

1 - (E85 stoich / Gas stoich)

That results in ~33.5%.

-Rogue
Hmmm;
we must have different definitions of what 48% more fuel is.
We know that one has to flow more with e85, so we are looking for a higher number. Therefore we have to divide the gas stoich by the e85 stoich
We seem to be in agreement on the stoich values of e85 and gas. So that being said, for a given amount of air ingested into an engine you will need "x" amount of gasoline. When you switch to e85, you will now need 48% of "x" added on top of "x".
If somebody tells you they ate 50% more cookies than you, and you ate 12 cookies; show of hands, who would think: "okay, they ate 18 cookies"
By your definition, you're going to be assuming they ate 24 cookies.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS968
Good info! Learn something new every day...

While we're on the subject...regarding this:Would there be a similar potential for a little extra power gain naturally aspirated, by reprogramming the ECU for more spark advance? Or is it only relevant under boost? This would be with water/methanol injection, rather than race gas or E85.
Gains are far more for boost, but plenty of gains can still be had in any motor with more advanced timing; be it from e85, meth/water inj. etc.

I'm sure we have all seen Horespower tv and seen them go from a base timing tune and then after a few timing advances, they pick up 10-15% on an NA motor; 6-10 degrees can make a big difference. Then you add in the cooling effects of e85/meth inj. and even more can be had due to the denser charge air. The butt dyno proves that one. Drive your car on a 95 degree day and then with no changes drive it on a 45 degree day.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Gains are far more for boost, but plenty of gains can still be had in any motor with more advanced timing; be it from e85, meth/water inj. etc.

I'm sure we have all seen Horespower tv and seen them go from a base timing tune and then after a few timing advances, they pick up 10-15% on an NA motor; 6-10 degrees can make a big difference.
Now I'm even more tempted to do it soon...

Then you add in the cooling effects of e85/meth inj. and even more can be had due to the denser charge air.
Good point, never even thought of that!

Drive your car on a 95 degree day and then with no changes drive it on a 45 degree day.
Car? Try flying a Cessna in those conditions!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mmmmm....cookies....

Quick Reply: Lets talk 93 octane