Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cost for parts, engine re-build for changing my 968...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

if youre going to replace the bearings and rings, oil pump, valve job etc im not sure that qualifies as "partial" anymore
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
968 Turbo S pistons ?? a mint (woefully $$$$) ????

it seems from what i'm learning... (137 seconds before Krazy Karl's motor started losing power) and i barely know what i'm talking about, that there comes that moment when the engine should be pulled and the crank turned and bearings replaced, do a valve job and maybe some other stuff. but i'm wondering...

can partial rebuilds bear any fruit ?

what i'm saying is; if 2/3 of the wear is on the rings, why not just turn the crank install the new size bearings, oil pump, do a valve job, and new cams, belts, rollers etc right there, and put a set of oem sized rings right back in there ? or rings just slightly over ?

or if you go this far, you're stupid not to send the block out to be done too ?

I thought you were still in love with Tony G?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you can put 951 rods in a 968 engine, no?
There is plenty of room in the sump for you to put in a set of 944 rods.

It might make sense to replace the 968 rods with them instead of putting them in the sump…they are the same rod length…
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
weird.. one of my posts are missing?

Rod lengths are the same, just make sure the crank end of the aftermarket rod clears the block. .. Pin heights are changed.. Not good for a turbo motor.. Leaves less meat, for the top ring land, and less design room for the top part of the piston, but not crippling in this case. The Piston is also larger for the 3.0. You will need to modify the 16V exhaust to to mate up to the turbo. The Stock intake takes up too much space where the turbo will go, so you will have to make/buy one.

Putting it all together. (bottom end only) Well, I'll just say that I have someone else I trust to do that. - I need someone else to bitch at for something!
The pin height is moved up – but not enough to cause any problem with a properly designed piston. Shorter rods is not a good ‘performance’ solution.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow. thanks both of you.

are there any successful 3.0s turbos that have been built from variocam blocks without doing much more than changing to the stout rods,

and new rod bearings on the existing crank ??...

or are we talking about turning the cranks, tearing everything down, installing 951 pistons, and everything else, just to get started ?
There is an article in May 911&PW regarding a 3.0L turbo build. They started with a 1990 turbo 250bhp model. They used a 968 block with crankshaft and pistons, machined the piston crowns to drop CR to 8.5:1. Then added a 2.7L cylinder head (8V), a 2.7 water pump (to increase cooling capacity of the bigger block), then all the rest of the bits from the turbo car. Power output is 300 hp and torque 350 lbs/ft. The engine has not been further modified except for adding bigger injectors. The "test" car has covered over 200,000 miles without problem.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

968 pistons and 2.7 head yield a pretty reasonable 9.3:1 unless you where very short on octane i would prefer to leave the piston bowl alone as it already has minimum crown thickness..
so another thread has just featured 968 turbo engine that couldn't be done .... with out any help from the experienced experts with a thick head gasket and gt3582 yeh a failure only 500whp and apparently the engine failed at just 32psi of boost ... perhaps the the bucher oo the duke will drop here ...
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
show the quote where it suggested 951 pistons in a 3.0 ??
from the OP...

wow. thanks both of you.

are there any successful 3.0s turbos that have been built from variocam blocks without doing much more than changing to the stout rods,

and new rod bearings on the existing crank ??...

or are we talking about turning the cranks, tearing everything down, installing 951 pistons, and everything else, just to get started ?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
There is plenty of room in the sump for you to put in a set of 944 rods.

It might make sense to replace the 968 rods with them instead of putting them in the sump…they are the same rod length…

so youre saying that you can put 951 rods on a 968 crank and pistons without issue and thats a better idea than just leaving them in the pan
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default turbocharger vs supercharger estimating the hidden costs/break even point....

how far off might i be on a cost-comparison if i sourced a good number of used turbo parts....

for a true low-boost turbo vs supercharger shootout on paper ?

can you all help me adjust the numbers ?

i was posting on the "crack house" thread about the fake e-ram supercharger....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ercharger.html

somehow, we failed to convinced the op that NONE of these scam/FAKE products

will ever increase horsepower under any circumstances...

i came up with some estimates.... first, that superchargers work well in:

1. economies with strong currencies (cheap fossil fuels).

2. drag racing/racing where burning 12 gallons of fuel in 4 seconds/minutes is politically/economically feasible.....

3. commercial automotive applications running 5~8 pounds of boost. (see # 1).

there was a comment made in THAT thread (see link above) about superconductors (far and away, the highlight of the thread)..... emphasizing that it would require "superconductor" levels of battery and wiring efficiency on the order of multiple X times current practical limits to be able to store the massive, electrical power required to make a high-efficiency, centrifugal supercharger that works on demand, running an electric motor — workable.

if it was "workable," we'd have seen electric "NOS" a long time ago....

my conclusion is simply, that you have to go big....

(and not-only, because we lack the cheap superconductors/super-batteries required to make an "on demand" product work).

superchargers require a delicate balance and are the sum total of several compromises. they can be made to work reasonably well making say, 6~12 pounds of boost, in small to medium displacement engines missing a few cylinders — but even here, it is extremely difficult to hide their glaring flaws in a daily driven car.

in recent years, automobile manufacturers have surely produced some very nice tangible, junior supercars, ranging from the small Lotus' to the Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX and similar competitor's cars, to the Nissan 350 ZXs and Corvettes of the world — and they all deliver reasonably well in the "bang for the buck" context.... but you have to ask yourself one question: how many superchargers do you see running in these same, recent, production cars.

they all run high output n/a engines and turbochargers....

the cars running intercooled turbos are many X times more efficient, and are especially attractive in banana republics where 5, or 6 dollar-per-gallon gasoline may soon become a reality—

of course, turbos require greater up-front costs.... but, if you run a supercharger, the hidden costs keep adding up, and before long, there's a break-even point. and it's likely to happn sooner than you think — maybe, 18~35 k miles down the road — and by the time you get there, you'll have laid out as much $$$$ as just going "turbo...."

here are some estimates i was able to come up with:

low boost turbocharger parts & install (w/out engine blueprinting): $11,500 (this number can vary by $1000s X)

low boost supercharger kit & install........................................... $5,500

difference.............................................................. ..............$6,000

difference in gallons of premium pump gas.......................... 1,900 gallons

turbocharged 968 vs supercharged 968:

fuel mileage with turbocharger: 25 MPG (highway).

fuel mileage with supercharger: 16 MPG (highway).

difference (estimate)................9 MPG

X 1900 Gallons = 17,100 Miles / the break even point ($$$$).

Last edited by odurandina; 12-08-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm.. sounds like a fun little undertaking
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far off might i be on a cost-comparison if i sourced a good number of used turbo parts....

for a true low-boost turbo vs supercharger shootout on paper ?

can you all help me adjust the numbers ?

i was posting on the "crack house" thread about the fake e-ram supercharger....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ercharger.html

somehow, we failed to convinced the op that NONE of these scam/FAKE products

will ever increase horsepower under any circumstances...

i came up with some estimates.... first, that superchargers work well in:

1. economies with strong currencies (cheap fossil fuels).

2. drag racing/racing where burning 12 gallons of fuel in 4 seconds/minutes is politically/economically feasible.....

3. commercial automotive applications running 5~8 pounds of boost. (see # 1).

there was a comment made in THAT thread (see link above) about superconductors (far and away, the highlight of the thread)..... emphasizing that it would require "superconductor" levels of battery and wiring efficiency on the order of multiple X times current practical limits to be able to store the massive, electrical power required to make a high-efficiency, centrifugal supercharger that works on demand, running an electric motor — workable.

if it was "workable," we'd have seen electric "NOS" a long time ago....

my conclusion is simply, that you have to go big....

(and not-only, because we lack the cheap superconductors/super-batteries required to make an "on demand" product work).

superchargers require a delicate balance and are the sum total of several compromises. they can be made to work reasonably well making say, 6~12 pounds of boost, in small to medium displacement engines missing a few cylinders — but even here, it is extremely difficult to hide their glaring flaws in a daily driven car.

in recent years, automobile manufacturers have surely produced some very nice tangible, junior supercars, ranging from the small Lotus' to the Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX and similar competitor's cars, to the Nissan 350 ZXs and Corvettes of the world — and they all deliver reasonably well in the "bang for the buck" context.... but you have to ask yourself one question: how many superchargers do you see running in these same, recent, production cars.

they all run high output n/a engines and turbochargers....

the cars running intercooled turbos are many X times more efficient, and are especially attractive in banana republics where 5, or 6 dollar-per-gallon gasoline may soon become a reality—

of course, turbos require greater up-front costs.... but, if you run a supercharger, the hidden costs keep adding up, and before long, there's a break-even point. and it's likely to happn sooner than you think — maybe, 18~35 k miles down the road — and by the time you get there, you'll have laid out as much $$$$ as just going "turbo...."

here are some estimates i was able to come up with:

low boost turbocharger parts & install (w/out engine blueprinting): $11,500 (this number can vary by $1000s X)

low boost supercharger kit & install........................................... $5,500

difference.............................................................. ..............$6,000

difference in gallons of premium pump gas.......................... 1,900 gallons

turbocharged 968 vs supercharged 968:

fuel mileage with turbocharger: 25 MPG (highway).

fuel mileage with supercharger: 16 MPG (highway).

difference (estimate)................9 MPG

X 1900 Gallons = 17,100 Miles / the break even point ($$$$).

The supercharger kits out there for the 968 use a centrifical supercharger. So it doesn't work like a roots one at all. If you drive easy it won't engage the supercharger and you can still pull in decent MPG's. Now when you get on it it takes a while to get into boost. Its quicker than a turbo, but not as quick as a roots type supercharger. Look around at that first. Supercharger may fit into what you need.

Or go all out and get a turbocharged 968. I personally would go with a kit.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Question

i may have estimated a bit low on centrifugal superchargers...

i wasn't talking about a roots blower...

sorry if i gave that impression..

you would go with "what" kit ? there are supercharger kits and turbocharger kits.

Quick Reply: cost for parts, engine re-build for changing my 968...