Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

anyone running 18x9.5 et 52 front wheels on an 87+ 951?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone running 18x9.5 et 52 front wheels on an 87+ 951?

If so, did it require mods and what were they?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anyone?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Dude, I believe with stock ride height, it MAY require rolling the fenders, I am running 18x8.5 et 52 and was getting rubbing ont eh fender albeit I am well lower than stock..

If I get a wild hair later this week, I can pull a rear off my turbo (18*10) and put it on my N/A which is at stock ride height to see if there are any trouble spots...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
67King
Race Car

What size tires? That's really the more important question. I ran 255/40R17's on a 50mm offset wheel last weekend in the rain at Road Atlanta without problems.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 67King
What size tires? That's really the more important question. I ran 255/40R17's on a 50mm offset wheel last weekend in the rain at Road Atlanta without problems.
255s will begin to look "stretched" on a 9.5 inch wheel...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would imagine that I would run the smallest tire size that can properly perform, on the front end. I'm not up too speed on what size that is.

Koa, I'd really appreciate if you could do that switch for me. I'd like to make it work, if I can.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
I would imagine that I would run the smallest tire size that can properly perform, on the front end. I'm not up too speed on what size that is.

Koa, I'd really appreciate if you could do that switch for me. I'd like to make it work, if I can.
I'll see what I can do for ya bud, I can't guarantee quick, but it'll get done..

Those rims are a hell of a deal even if you have to buy new fronts... and they sure are purdy...

FWIW, you could pick up some OEM 18*7.5 et 50 for the front at $399 each (DC Auto, 996 wheels) and sell the other set of rears to make up the diff.... or at least that is what I was thinking of doing.. but I already have 2 spare sets of rims, and I really like the ones on the turbo car right now...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep. That's what I'm thinking as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
Yep. That's what I'm thinking as well.
You can't beat the deal, even for AM wheels... you arent going to track em are you?

if not tracking, buy em, buy the fronts, sell the 2nd set of 9.5 and call it a day...

for less than the OEM 10 inch rear wheels would cost...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
255s will begin to look "stretched" on a 9.5 inch wheel...
That is what Porsche puts on its 9" wheels from the factory. Pretty square setup, as the tire tread is 10", and the lip to lip width is 10" on the wheel. Having the wheel be 0.5" wider should help in every aspect. The sidewall won't be able to deflect as much, making turn-in even sharper, and making the contact patch less likley to be reduced. It is quite common to see race cars with wheels significantly wider than the tires for that reason.

If you ever get a chance to see used slicks from a sports car (as opposed to open wheel, whic has rules that change things a bit) after they are dismounted, have a look. I don't mean DOT R-compounds like Hoosier R6's, I mean true slicks. You'll see that virtually all of them were mounted to wheels that are wider than the tread.

Oh yeah, Porsche also put 245's on 9" wheels on the Turbo S. Granted, it is only a 45 sidewall, rather than a 35. But still, it is hardly a stretch (no pun intended) to put 255's on a 9.5" wheel.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

That is what Porsche puts on its 9" wheels from the factory. Pretty square setup, as the tire tread is 10", and the lip to lip width is 10" on the wheel. Having the wheel be 0.5" wider should help in every aspect. The sidewall won't be able to deflect as much, making turn-in even sharper, and making the contact patch less likley to be reduced. It is quite common to see race cars with wheels significantly wider than the tires for that reason.

If you ever get a chance to see used slicks from a sports car (as opposed to open wheel, whic has rules that change things a bit) after they are dismounted, have a look. I don't mean DOT R-compounds like Hoosier R6's, I mean true slicks. You'll see that virtually all of them were mounted to wheels that are wider than the tread.

Oh yeah, Porsche also put 245's on 9" wheels on the Turbo S. Granted, it is only a 45 sidewall, rather than a 35. But still, it is hardly a stretch (no pun intended) to put 255's on a 9.5" wheel.
I am going to try to avoid splitting hairs here, but I just can't help myself...

255 is the SECTION width, not tread width... tread width will vary from tire to tire depending on manufacturer, but to keep it easy lets say the tire edge is SQUARE, and the widest part of the tire is the tread patch, only in this hypothetical tire will 255 be the tread width (section width is the WIDEST part of the tire)

Yes 255 mm is 10.4 inches (slightly WIDER than the 9.5 inch wide rim) the bead of the tire will still NOT be 9.5 inches wide... rather it will be closer to 9 inches wide (if not less)... mounting a 255 tire, even one whos' sidewall is SQUARE to the tread will have a "stretched" appearance as the sidewall will bow OUT because of the bead on the tire. The extra 1/2 inch of rim in this case will have a huge visual impact... OK for the track, but not to everyones taste on teh street...

But them florida boys do like to roll like that...so maybe Elliot will dig it... Me, not so much...

I currently have 255 (255/35/18) on my 8.5 inch front wheels, and they are almost perfectly square sidewall to tread.

I also have 295 (295/35/18) on 10 inch wheels in the rear, again very square to teh tread patch..

BFG makes a stiff sidewall for just this reason...

Back to topic..

E-
I will do the swap, but honestly think you will need a narower rim up front to have the best look for street use... square tire setups are best suited to hard track use, sedans, and mini vans....
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Just went out to the garage and did some measurements with the 8.5" ET52 wheels I have in the front of my car.

8.5 ET52 wheel to spring clearance (just shy of 1.5")

With a 225 on the 8.5" (yes I know that's narrow, but that's what came on the car) the tires never rubbed, but my front fenders were rolled so I'm not sure if it was a problem before.

Side shot of the front:

Another side shot:

A 9.5" ET52 will increase 1/2" (12.7mm) inwards and outwards. There is definitely clearance on the inside for the 9.5", but the outside would be cutting it close. I wish I had the tires on and the car off jackstands so I could make the measurements between the tire and fender. Perhaps some camber could give you enough room to squeeze the 9.5" on there. But I would want to know of someone that's actually done it before I would say for certain it would work.

Also, the wheels aren't in my possession (hence the location of Detroit mentioned in the FS ad) otherwise I would just bolt them up to my car and see if they worked. Long story short is I'm selling the wheels for a friend as he owes me money (so I technically own them, just don't have them in hand), so they will be shipping from Michigan.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 344 Posts

My race wheels are 17x9 ET55 Cup 2's with 275's on them. Fit fine...
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex, you are about to have a pm.
Thank you for going out and doing a bit of research for me. If I have to roll the fenders, I'll figure it out.

Doc, would the 18" diameter have a significant effect on fitment, by comparison to your 17's?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ehall, I hate the fact that you had to give up those hollow turbo wheels. I’m running an 8 et45 out front and rub slightly. With the 9.5 et52 you’re 12mm further out and will need to work the fender, adjust camber along with selecting the right tire for clearance. Then again you know there are other options in that wheel for the front.

Quick Reply: anyone running 18x9.5 et 52 front wheels on an 87+ 951?