Some Pictures and Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Pictures and Update

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd give an update on the progress of my car. We are at the final stages, and I thought some of you might like to see how we mounted the front oil coolers, and some pictures of this newly designed vertical intercooler.

One of the oil coolers has a fan that will run via thermostat. The other oil cooler will be static. The mounting locations provide good air flow.

We also installed a thermostat controlled fan driven trans cooler and installed D9's hood vents. We will be using D9's dual lens fixed lights.....SEND THEM TO ME!!!!!!!

One of the consistent issues I was having with this build, was just too much damn heat. Not overheating, but not having sufficient shielding around the headers and turbo. This created some issues, and the downpipe was melting my pan gasket. We put custom shielding everywhere, and decided to add additional fan driven oil and transmission coolers. Heat kills transmissions, and I'm asking a bit from mine. Overkill, maybe, but we did it anyway. I'm also running Evans coolant, which will help keep things cooler in the head. We installed a steam vent, even though Evans coolant doesn't steam. I think it's a good idea anywway to have a consistent way to get any air out without opening the 10mm bolt.

If you look closely at the first picture you will see the factory air intake hole and the 4" intake pipe. We are fabricating a 4" cold air intake that will extend into this factory location. The filter will reside is a housing in the fender forward. No more under hood filter, therefore much cooler intake air. The front wheel will have to be removed to service the filter, but I wanted things as cool as possible.

Also, notice how much room we have now that the pop up lighting assembly is removed. It allowed the fabrication for the intake to be much easier and stay at 4".

Enjoy the pictures.......We are almost done!!!!

George
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

holy crap nice build
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff, that looks vicious.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

DAM very nice
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George Just curious this might not make much of a difference but since hot air rises wouldnt you want to reverse how the intercooler piping is routed?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

there is so much going on in that bay...mother of god what a monstrosity lol
Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlege
George Just curious this might not make much of a difference but since hot air rises wouldnt you want to reverse how the intercooler piping is routed?
You can't see the design of the bottom tank at the intake, and this is how the intercooler was designed. Flow from top or bottom shouldn't matter. There will be a bit of pressure flowing through the intercooler. Know this intercooler was designed by an engineer that builds some crazy, but reliable Porsches. He actually used to teach the engine building classes for PCA.

His calculations were based on the flow of this turbo, and my consistent power goals. He does not sell intercooler kits. He builds these one off for each car and it's intended use.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by George D
You can't see the design of the bottom tank at the intake, and this is how the intercooler was designed. Flow from top or bottom shouldn't matter. There will be a bit of pressure flowing through the intercooler. Know this intercooler was designed by an engineer that builds some crazy, but reliable Porsches. He actually used to teach the engine building classes for PCA.

His calculations were based on the flow of this turbo, and my consistent power goals. He does not sell intercooler kits. He builds these one off for each car and it's intended use.
ok maybe he would be a better person to direct that question to. Still interesting since the whole point of the intercooler is to cool and the direction of the heat flows up
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think the orientation is going to matter much with the CFM that is going through it. I'm sure it's minuscule.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
George D
Drifting

ok maybe he would be a better person to direct that question to. Still interesting since the whole point of the intercooler is to cool and the direction of the heat flows up
I'm assuming that you realize that there will be a constant flow of air going through the intercooler? There won't be enough time for the heat to rise, it's going to be forced into the bottom intercooler tank, then evenly flow through the core then into the upper tank. Flow through my TB, intake, then shoved down my head's throat to mix with fuel for combustion.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a smart-***. Whether the boosted air enters from the top or bottom is irrevelant, as far as considering potential heat rise and the ability of this intercooler application to work as designed.

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind, what are your target performance goals?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you ever seen the stock IC? Note that the intake and exit air enter and leave through the top.
Yes I know that it's "sort of the middle, but the point remains. The air flows, so it doesn't have time to stagnate and rise.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That looks awesome George!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

That looks crazy, nice job.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking very interesting George. Look forward to seeing how the air filter location turns out? Clearly you will need the new lights for this.

Quick Reply: Some Pictures and Update