Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake booster shield delete pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake booster shield delete pictures

Anyone have photos of how they attached thermotec blankets when they deleted the brake booster heat shield?

I'm thinking I can wire it up around the booster at the back and attach to various things up front but would like to see some photos of successful installations.

I currently don't have the steering u joint shield (fell off long ago) if that makes any difference.

Also, the bracket for the turbo water pump seems a bit flexy without the brake shield there for it to attach to. Has that been a problem for anyone?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 AM
95ONE
Race Car

what's a heat shield?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
Anyone have photos of how they attached thermotec blankets when they deleted the brake booster heat shield?

I'm thinking I can wire it up around the booster at the back and attach to various things up front but would like to see some photos of successful installations.

I currently don't have the steering u joint shield (fell off long ago) if that makes any difference.

Also, the bracket for the turbo water pump seems a bit flexy without the brake shield there for it to attach to. Has that been a problem for anyone?
Just use header blanket material from Thermotec to insulate the turbine side of the turbo and the two exhaust pipes going into and out of the turbine. Do it in an upside down "U" shape so the heat can escape out below.

That will keep all the heat from the booster.

TonyG
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
Just use header blanket material from Thermotec to insulate the turbine side of the turbo and the two exhaust pipes going into and out of the turbine. Do it in an upside down "U" shape so the heat can escape out below.

That will keep all the heat from the booster.

TonyG
I have the header blanket material and was planning to do that. If that will be enough that's great

I'm going to use your trick of folding over and stapling the edge for a good clean look. When you say upside down "U" shape on the pipes, does that mean leave a small gap?

Eventually the downpipe and crossover will also be thermally coated.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the header blanket material and was planning to do that. If that will be enough that's great
I did this a while back and found the blanket wouldn't hold up to the heat on my car. The foil became brittle and cracked/flaked off after only a few drives. This was with a single layer just to see what would happen. If I was doing it a again I would try at least 2 or 3 layers. I also folded the edge, but used stainless steel wire to secure the edge by weaving it through the folded edge. I left some extra wire on both ends and twisted them together to secure it once on the turbine housing.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The regular fiberglass wrap is garbage and doesn't last long at all.

I'm going to try the new lava rock stuff from DEI to see if its any better.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I did this a while back and found the blanket wouldn't hold up to the heat on my car. The foil became brittle and cracked/flaked off after only a few drives. This was with a single layer just to see what would happen. If I was doing it a again I would try at least 2 or 3 layers. I also folded the edge, but used stainless steel wire to secure the edge by weaving it through the folded edge. I left some extra wire on both ends and twisted them together to secure it once on the turbine housing.
That's the first time I've heard of the thermal blanket failing so quickly. This is product that I have.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14004/?rtype=10

Anyone else have similar problems with that material?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This is product that I have.
Yep, that is pretty much it.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Yep, that is pretty much it.
I guess I'll find out how it holds up for me then.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I guess it would depend on how you use it.

I've used it to shield the the turbine hot side all the way back 18" in an upside U shape to cover both the pipes entering the turbine for years and have never ever had it come apart. In fact I've even R&R'ed the turbo and reused the same piece with zero issues.

Did you support it with wire so it doesn't flop around due to the air turbulence under the hood?

TonyG
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
I guess it would depend on how you use it.

I've used it to shield the the turbine hot side all the way back 18" in an upside U shape to cover both the pipes entering the turbine for years and have never ever had it come apart. In fact I've even R&R'ed the turbo and reused the same piece with zero issues.

Did you support it with wire so it doesn't flop around due to the air turbulence under the hood?

TonyG
I'm planning to wrap each pipe individually. Is that going to cause problems or just more detail than necessary?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys who have had problems with your header wrap not holding up, I'm guessing you didn't spray it with hi-temp silicone coating? This is an important step, if you want it to last. It also helps prevent the wrap from absorbing oil/gas or other combustibles.

Name:  dei-htspray.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  21.9 KB

As far as the turbine housing goes, I'm running a full Garrett turbo with a T3 turbine housing, and I've got a DEI T3 Turbo Shield. I'm pretty sure it would fit just fine with a KKK housing.

Name:  dei-component-turboshield.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  48.5 KB

Last edited by IanM; 03-06-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

My header wrap help up fine, but I used that spray on the headers and the wrap. I pulled it all off due to an oil leak though and going with the foil covered header blanket to avoid soaking up future oil spills. I'm lucky I didn't have a fire, but then the car hasnt been running much for awhile ha!

Those turbo shields are nice but a bit too pricey for me right now.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
I'm planning to wrap each pipe individually. Is that going to cause problems or just more detail than necessary?
Don't. Just use the header blanket. You're really not trying to keep in heat since the exhaust is double walled to begin with. Rather you're trying to keep from heating up the intake manifold and cooking everything else nearby.

TonyG
Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a photo of my custom 3" downpipe with header wrap, prior to spraying the silicone coating.

Name:  3in downpipe 1.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  135.0 KB

Here's a photo of the same downpipe after spraying with the DEI coating. The wrap becomes hard when it dries. Also shown is the DEI T3 turbo shield. The guy at Lordco (a Canadian auto parts store) was shocked at how much the shield costs, so he fudged the numbers and sold it to me at just over cost ($165CAD).

Name:  turbo heat shields.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  136.9 KB

Quick Reply: Brake booster shield delete pictures