Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KW V3 ride height recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yes, GO951 is pretty sick at the moment. We will be transplanting all the hardware across to GO952 in the next few weeks.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...44-pics-3.html
That was hard to read. Very sorry Patrick Even though that was one of my favorite cars, I know the next one will be even better. Just glad you didn't get hurt too bad.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Definitely painful at the time, but what makes it worse is seeing the car everyday at work.
GO952 is a Black 86 but not as good an example. Still, it will be mostly a track car so
not to worry. GO951 may rise from the ashes yet.......
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to install the same coilovers when I get back to NY, hopefully soon. All this rideheight talk makes me just want to bring it in and have it done.. . Is it tough to dial out that 'preload' between the torsion bars and coil springs? That is my big concern.

I'm going to drop the entire rear suspension anyhow.. Need to replace my torque tube 'while I'm in there'.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear from all the people who have fitted the KWs and see what they have had before and how they compare. Have your friends been in or driven your car and what sort of reaction do you get? Just interested is all....
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Lowered the rear so that it is about 350 at rear/335 at front. Feels good! Taking advantage of a bit of rain this evening, I took it out to a spot where the rear will usually break away with even a hint of rain. No break away! So an apparent improvement with respect to a bit of inherent oversteer in my previous set-up.

Actually, I'm impressed with how much of a difference the KWs in the rear makes -- if anything, the difference is more even noticable than the difference from replacing the front struts. I really didn't expect that.

This is shaping up to be a very promising upgrade over my previous set-up. Early days yet, but so far, so good...
Mark, if it is any help, when i had my coilovers in before reindexing, and the rear 20mm or so higher, the handling was pretty awful. Much better with height level. PS the wheel arch to wheel centre isn't the best way to measure height, due to variations in panel fit. The FWSM shows the correct way to measure height (ie relative to the castor mounts and torsion tube). Mine is spot on side to side using this measurement but up to 10mm different using the arch method. Hand built cars...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I've still got about 15mm of adjustment available down in the rears, so it will be easy to try a flat set-up at 335mm (or so) all around to compare.

Still, makes you wonder what the KW engineers were thinking... maybe there's something in their set-up design that favours the recommended 20mm difference? Which brings us back to my original question, then.

Oh well, a bit of trial and error will sort things before any sort of theoretical conclusion will be reached, I guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Are thinking of getting a corner balance balance done anytime soon, Eric? Who do you think you would use (or were you thinking of getting some scales and DIY?)
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Are thinking of getting a corner balance balance done anytime soon, Eric? Who do you think you would use (or were you thinking of getting some scales and DIY?)
As I'm only 17kg out I wasn't intending to do a corner balance.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
As I'm only 17kg out I wasn't intending to do a corner balance.
Is that with you in the car?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
All this rideheight talk makes me just want to bring it in and have it done.. . Is it tough to dial out that 'preload' between the torsion bars and coil springs? That is my big concern.
Delete the torsion bars and then wonder why you hadn't done it sooner.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My concern with deleting the torsion bars is with not being able to use the double shear lower shock bolt with the KW's.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
Delete the torsion bars and then wonder why you hadn't done it sooner.
I've been debating doing this myself so I can adjust my KWs easier. What weight springs are you using in the rear? And did you order them direct from KW or someone else?

Also, have you modified the control arms at all? I'm at about 315mm front (317mm rear) and my arms have definitely lost some travel. Debating installing the Racer's Edge arms. Or maybe I'll just delete the torsion bar and raise the car up a bit again.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
My concern with deleting the torsion bars is with not being able to use the double shear lower shock bolt with the KW's.
Well, first things first -- put the KWs in with your torsion bars as they are, and measure how much lift you get. Depending on where you want to be, there may be enough adjustment to get you there without further work.

If you decide you want to change the base rideheight settings, then the options are springplate eccentrics (as assumed by the KW installation manual), reindexing or deletion.

Once you've reindexed the first time, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to deletion over reindexing (at least that I can see). Perhaps if you change spring rate drastically at the rear you may want to reindex -- I don't know. The advantage to reindexing over deletion (for me) is that a) less stress on other mounting points (a long debated issue over whether this is a real problem, of course), and b) that's the way KW designed their kit for these cars.

The latter is the clincher for me, at least to get started with the installation. I like to know how things are "supposed" to be before changing things to how I think they should be.

The final consideration is that if I leave the t-bars alone, if I need to send one or both of the rear shocks off for a warranty repair or service, then I can just sock my Bilsteins back in and keep driving. At this stage, it appears KW doesn't provide replacements while your shocks are being sent back to Germany for repair --- could be a long wait.

For me, reindexing/deletion would get me 15mm of extra adjustment of height lower -- not sure whether it's worth it at this stage.

Anyway, as I said, first things first. Good luck! So far, I'm really enjoying these. I'm taking the car out for a run on the track tomorrow morning, I suspect I'll have a bit more to think about after that.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Is that with you in the car?
Yes and 2/3 tank fuel
Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Yes and 2/3 tank fuel
That's very good... where did you get the weighing done?

Quick Reply: KW V3 ride height recommendations