Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just did big turbo, LR stg. 2 maf, new injectors, new chip... won't start??? ***VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did big turbo, LR stg. 2 maf, new injectors, new chip... won't start??? ***VIDEO

'86 944 t

Just finished my turbo swap, lr stg. 2 maf, injectors, and chip install-

car cranks but won't fire. not even a stumble or anything. i can smell gas in the exhaust. the batt just died from constantly cranking as the fuel rail was empty from doing the injectors so i figured maybe i was had not got fuel to the cylinders yet. next is to check spark when my batt charger is charged haha.

anything i'm missing? car ran perfectly fine prior to dissassembly, can you hear the fuel pumps on our cars with the key in the ON position? i don't here anything. the smell in the exhaust may be gas that trickled down in there from when i pulled the rail. thanks!

Last edited by buddd; 02-15-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for spark. Try a DME jumper. Its possible your chip/chips are in the wrong way around.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check power on your MAF, where are you getting it from? I'm not at home and can't recall which plugs to jumper on the fuel pump relay and you can get fuel to check.

The old first thing would have been you did match the notch on the chips to board?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

yes the notch on the chip matches the board
Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
check power on your MAF, where are you getting it from? I'm not at home and can't recall which plugs to jumper on the fuel pump relay and you can get fuel to check.
? i just wired the maf in to the old plug harness. matched the 4 wires i believe it was to the corresponding wires.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

this was the first time i have ever disconnected the battery with this car, could i have tripped the oem security system or something? would it crank still? how do i make sure its off? my aftermarket alarm works and is unlocked.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

the car still doesnt have enough juice to turn it over again but i beleive when i turn the key to crank it i hear the fuel pump.. i dont hear it while the key is in the ON position, is this normal? i know on my old eagle talon this was normal.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

i bought low impedance 72lb siemens injectors that are in the car now, i was told i could run the car without resistors but its not reccomended. this is correct right? do i absolutely need the resistors wired in yet or no? i was planning on atleast getting the car driveable and then doing the resistors at a later date. just making sure the lack of resistors right now isnt whats preventing the car from starting.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i think you may be able to run them of only one of the 2 drivers but i 'm not sure ..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

You can't run the maf off the original power source. You need to route the maf power into the blue stock meter wire then take that blue wire (pin #9) and splice it into pin 18's red and yellow wire.

Also be sure that you have the right chip. My car did the exact same thing with the same injectors and maf because my piggy back wasn't grounded causing it to run ultra rich. You're pumping in too much fuel.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/MAFATMAF.html
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

****.... so what needs to be done?

this would cause a no start?

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buddd
****.... so what needs to be done?

this would cause a no start?

thanks
well the maf isn't getting enough power. So if you did put the 12v power wire from the maf into the blue wire on the original afm harness no biggie that's perfect. Just pull out the dme, find pin 18's red and yellow wire (I actually pulled off the plug of the dme to insure it was the correct pin.) Then splice the blue wire from pin 9 into pin 18's wire. I edited while you were posting to include this.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951_RS
well the maf isn't getting enough power. So if you did put the 12v power wire from the maf into the blue wire on the original afm harness no biggie that's perfect. Just pull out the dme, find pin 18's red and yellow wire (I actually pulled off the plug of the dme to insure it was the correct pin.) Then splice the blue wire from pin 9 into pin 18's wire. I edited while you were posting to include this.
ok so in other words no different wiring at the maf end has to be done, just cut and splice the one wire into the other which will then supply a full 12v to the maf harness?

again.. this would be the cause of my no start? could i unplug the maf and see if it starts or this wouldnt work? i'll pull my dme now and find the wires..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buddd
ok so in other words no different wiring at the maf end has to be done, just cut and splice the one wire into the other which will then supply a full 12v to the maf harness?

again.. this would be the cause of my no start? could i unplug the maf and see if it starts or this wouldnt work? i'll pull my dme now and find the wires..
Well, I can't say for sure, but I'd say that definitely needs to be fixed before anything. I would assume though that your chips are scaled for the 72 lb injectors so I wouldn't think it'd do that exactly, but it is exactly what happened to my car and I had something wired wrong. Certainly won't hurt to fix it as if you do manage to start it, without the maf your car won't add any more fuel when you take in more air =]

And no, you don't need to rewire the maf end, just near the DME.
Just follow these directions http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/MAFATMAF.html
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

ok i'll do that now and report back..

the chip is from Russell Berry and yes he had tuned it for both the maf and 72lb injectors.

Quick Reply: Just did big turbo, LR stg. 2 maf, new injectors, new chip... won't start??? ***VIDEO