Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Elephant Racing Spherical Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Elephant Racing Spherical Joints

I'm looking to completely renew the suspension on my '90 car - it has 134k (miles) on it. Can anyone provide feedback on Elephant Racing's solid mounts/spherical bushings/backplates etc?
Tim
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

It's good stuff and well made. Same with all the Racers Edge stuff. I mixed and matched although mostly RE. If you want to improve the handling it's worth it but you will sacrifice some of the ride quality. Just depends on your priorities.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

High quality products. I have their poly-bronze spring plate bushings and their banana arm mono-*****.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the standard bushes really don't have alot of rubber in them they are half steal the the early castor blocks and rear spring plates flex a little the rest hardly flexes at all .. I have some elephent bushes and i have converted other parts to mono ball my self .. the elephant parts are well made but i feel really not worth the money .
i think i reasonable compromise is the spring plates and castor blocks only but i wouldn't got near them until i had the springs shocks and sway bars all sorted ..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you doing with the car? I've got Racer's Edge stuff, but it is for the track. I believe that recently, either Polyurethane or Delrin bushings have become available (though I don't know how much caster you can adjust if you do that?). Before the 944, I ran PU whenever I could, which was great on the street.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The car is for the track but street legal. I've got Leda shocks (oil) with 450 lb fronts & 350 lb rears. I plan on getting some Tarett front & rear bars & some hollow 31mm torsion bars. The idea is to go for solid mounts & sphericals all-round. I figure I'll soften the shocks right off for driving to the track. I'll also need camberplates & most onhere seem to favour RE.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
The car is for the track but street legal. I've got Leda shocks (oil) with 450 lb fronts & 350 lb rears. I plan on getting some Tarett front & rear bars & some hollow 31mm torsion bars. The idea is to go for solid mounts & sphericals all-round. I figure I'll soften the shocks right off for driving to the track. I'll also need camberplates & most onhere seem to favour RE.
I've got a similar setup, but stiffer springs. And the same vision - track car that will be street legal. So yeah, I'd go for the solid/spherical stuff, assuming you can tolerate the harshness on the road. I'm a big fan of Racer's Edge because I know the guy who started the company, Karl Poeltl, and have worked with him on some stuff, so I see how he operates. And the kind of engineer he is is why I'm going to continue to use his stuff when I can.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear spring plate parts are excellent, theres no similar product except for the junky plastic ones.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the RE bushes and the Elephant Racing polybronze. I run 'em on the street. Best grease for the Polybronze is SKF's LGEV2.

Only comment I'd make is : use the spherical bearing in the FRONT of the lower control arm and leave the caster block rubber. This will give you much better camber control and steering precision but still allow the wheel/arm to move rearwards slightly on bumps - critical for ride quality.

Have a look at how Honda did it on the NSX, or McLaren on the F1.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to disagree there Mike as i had a big bar on the control arm with differnt bits out to investigate this that front bush is STIFF AS .... i also put on in the lathe and turned it they are 50% steal....
and they are defiantly much stiffer than polyurethane bushes .
I have made my own rod end (heim) type Castor mount and i coudn't flex the arm outward at the rear 20mm for the new pick arm with the standard in...
If any one else has done any real flex tests on these things now would be a good time to comment ..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

OK yep cool, I haven't dismantled an arm or done any deflection tests so you definitely are ahead. Thanks for the info - you're right, it would be good to get some objective measurements. Same with strut brace/lower brace as well.

I'm running brand new 968 arms and castor blocks, haven't been game to remove the front bushes and replace them with the RE sphericals that are sitting on the shelf at the moment. From what you say, no need to hurry.

Whaddayarekkon about the banana arm bush at the back?

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 01-21-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
ZW 944
Racer

Mikey, do the elephant racing monoballs + polybronze stuff make the street ride harsh? like on a scale of 1-10 how bad is it compared to stock rubber?

My other question is where does one find a replacement for the stock rubber pieces? for the '87+ cars it doesn't seem anybody sells all of them.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am running the Elephant monoballs front and rear as well as the polybronze stuff in the spring plates. I have fairly stiff springs (525 front and 650 rear). I also have RE adjustable camber plates and M030 bars and poly bushings but retained the 968 rear control arm bushings and the street ride is rough.

It feels worse when I haven't driven the car for a week but I find myself steering around bumps and holes in the road.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
ZW 944
Racer

Good to know.

Wow those are really stiff springs no? stock front springs are like around 160 iirc.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

It doesn't make the ride harsh, just the opposite. It makes the ride less "disjointed" with firm suspension. In other words, it improves the secondary ride. Transmitted road noise/tyre roar is higher, but absolutely no clunks or rattles. Read my other posts on my setup.

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Elephant Racing Spherical Joints