Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Something happened to me today that got me scared

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned, summer tires and even some all seasons are hockey pucks at anything under 30-40 degrees. I have Kumho XS tires on mine which are a extreme performance summer tire, getting close to a street slick. They are awful in the cold, if i back up with the wheel turned the front end actually skips across the pavement. I was on my way up to Conn. to pickup some seats in mid December and while merging onto the NYS Thruway in 3rd, as soon as it got on boost the rear tires were spinning. This happens all the time.. and is bad even off boost pulling away from lights.. you can imagine if you get tire spin while in the power band normally associated with turbo lag you need to take it easy . Seriously be careful.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep if your running summer tires don't screw with them in the cold. I have a Turbo S with locking diff , makes no difference , on 17 Falken 452's and below 50, they will hand you, your A$$. Got sideways twice when I first got the car once making a left turn, across 4 lanes of traffic, clear road but took up both lanes getting it back in line.

Second time was at a light after a 20 minuet drive at 65 , tires still cold, apparently so !!? I was making a left turn gave it tiny bit more gas and bam, sideways again! Single left turn lane so I got lucky.

Now I know and it's parked for the winter. If your gonna drive it in the cold you need a set of all season tires at the very least.

Cars has given you notice,take heed!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in Las Vegas, where it's not super cold in the winter, and we get little precipitation. I have a stock '86 with non LSD and 245 Kumho Victoracers on the rear - when I hit full boost in 2nd gear, the rear will break loose all the way into 3rd gear around 4,00 RPMs. It doesn't really matter how warm the tires are, it's just the surface temp as stated earlier in the thread. I enjoyed taking advantage of learning to control the car in this situation (when I was not near any other traffic), as these cars are so well balanced that almost any sliding can be easily controlled by throttle and steering. Shortly after purchasing my car, I almost put it into the interstate barrier wall by not realizing that the tires needed to be warm before leaning on them in the cool weather. The car pitched sideways upon turning to align with the interstate from the on ramp. Upon letting off the accelerator, I was able to get traction and straighten the car out and immediately realized I was lucky to not have totalled the car and/or hurt anyone by my ignorant actions. I have since gained much respect for the power and capability of my car, and realized that more care must be taken when driving in cold environments. I can't imagine some of you northeastern and midwest guys driving these things in winter where snow is commonplace. Glad you were able to save it before getting into another vehicle or the wall.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

NY roads suck. We've had lots of snow so far this year which means lots of salt and sand on the roads. Besides being full of pot holes and the salt thing, the roads are cold. Not a good place to be get on the gas.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that the inexperienced drivers always blame it on oil?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
Oil is everywhere
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took my car out today for a little drive time to get it moving...I put it on low boost 10 psi and was maybe at 1/3 throttle and my tires were spinning...cold tires + cold, wet, sandy road = side to side fun
Old 01-08-2010, 06:25 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing the cold air under the bridge surface didn't help.

LUCKY Jeff, I don't know what the hell they put in your road surface there but that stuff is slick year 'round. Except maybe mid August.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LFA951
Uhmm I have been driving for 13 years, Uhmm does that sound inexperienced to you? Used to drive 600 miles a week between Jersey and NY.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minho78
Uhmm I have been driving for 13 years, Uhmm does that sound inexperienced to you? Used to drive 600 miles a week between Jersey and NY.
LFA is actually the stig, so to him everyone is inexperienced
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What you dont have winter tyres in the states (MS mud\snow) ? I know you have. Driving on stiff summer rubber is asking for it .. You risk hurting yourself and others be carefull with those summer tyres.. I know was just suppose to move one of my cars .
Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

+1 on winter tires. It's why I bought a cheap set of replica Cup 2's when I lived in Tennessee. Now I just don't drive my P-cars in winter (sand + salt + DC drivers = ruin waiting to happen).
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by minho78
I was kidding about the first part, and I've been driving since I was 13 for the last 24 years and have been licensed since May of 1987 which is over 22 years...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ibkevin
LUCKY Jeff, I don't know what the hell they put in your road surface there but that stuff is slick year 'round. Except maybe mid August.
Kevin, I don't to be lumped into the 'inexperienced' crowd, but I think it's the oil buildup. Mother nature tends to only wash our Vegas road grime down about 3 or 4 times a year, so it stays pretty slick except for a week or two after a bit of rain. And you are right, in August the roads are pretty sticky, even at 3 a.m. when there's no sun beating on them.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, judging by all the "driving by concrete barrier" rash I see out there -- it aint oil. Now if you are going by the puddles in the parking lots, I'd agree.

LV drivers have super trumped the poor Socal drivers in my book by a long shot.

Quick Reply: Something happened to me today that got me scared