Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Something happened to me today that got me scared

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Um, yes, people who DE or Race or even autocross have WAY WAY WAY more vehicle control experience than those who do not. You can argue this all you want, but you will be wrong. You go and do some autocross and DE and get used to getting your car sideways at will, and you will come back and admit you were wrong.

Having 10 or 20 years driving experience just means you've been driving for a long time. It doesn't mean you know how to *really* drive a sportscar.

We have 60, 70 and even 80 year old porsche owners coming out to their first DE's and Autocrosses and saying that they didn't imagine that they would have so much more to learn about driving.
Rich I'm not arguing at all, and let me tell I learn new things everyday and respect what other people say. Actually I was trying to get a reaction from that comment, sorry if someone took it the wrong way.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
True. How much does a session cost. Right now I'm almost broke, I just bought a House in greenburgh/White Plains NY.Freacking 20% plus all the BS closing costs took all $$$$$$$$$ from me.
Well, it will be spring/summer before you can go so you'll have time save up.

Instructors generally don't pay so it's been awhile since I've kept up with pricing. Last I checked many a moon ago, PCA was ~$300 a weekend, groups like PDA and Chin Motorsports were like $500?

Well worth it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Chris I know that DE will help for sure.
Fine I'm a bad driver.
its not that you are bad - but its that you could be better!

We all could be better....except Schumacher on a good day, it dosen't get much better than that!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

My car is lightly modified, and today it was really chilly in NY. I was coming off the toll at TPZ bridge and at about 50mph I decided to nail the gas. My right rear tire lost track and i thought i was going to nail an X5 that was by my side. well my rear tires are 245's. I'm probably running 275hp. Did this ever happen to you guys, I'm thinking probably oil?
What you just described happened to me 8 years ago and this is the outcome. I was coasting to a red light and there was a car in front of me and the lane on the right was clear. As I was coasting to a stop the light turned green so I moved over to the right and decided to floor it. As I floored it and a little turbo lag later the right rear wheel was on a damp spot on the road and lost traction as boost was kicking in. I made correction to compensate but I ended up loosing control. As I lost control a stupid tree decided to get in front of me.

This is the result.

The sad thing is I've owned this car since 1993 and this is the only digital pictures I have of the car. Digital Camera's was jujst coming out at that time this accident happened.
Attached Images     
Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're doing DEs and autocross in cold weather (I do, where I live, in the spring and fall) then yes, these events will help you with the different dynamics associated with tires vs cold pavement. I would argue, though, that a DE junkie from Phoenix wouldn't be any better of a driver than a mom taking her kids to hockey practice, in actual wintery conditions in the north.
But this thread is about driving in cold conditions (still dry and clean), which some of us are faced with, or even embrace. It has nothing to do with taking our cars out in the winter.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
If you're doing DEs and autocross in cold weather (I do, where I live, in the spring and fall) then yes, these events will help you with the different dynamics associated with tires vs cold pavement. I would argue, though, that a DE junkie from Phoenix wouldn't be any better of a driver than a mom taking her kids to hockey practice, in actual wintery conditions in the north.
But this thread is about driving in cold conditions (still dry and clean), which some of us are faced with, or even embrace. It has nothing to do with taking our cars out in the winter.
Car control is car control - anybody with car control skills that have been honed at the track (hot or cold) will be able to handle themselves better than those without the skills - regardless of weather.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Car control skills are coming into play way too late, if one didn't assess the road conditions ahead of time, which possibly would be the case with a track honed driver from the south that's not used to the unbelievable low traction of winter conditions. That's all I'm sayin'
Anyway, we're getting way off track here; pun intended
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy

To some extent it depends on the tire. My Michelin SP2's change character at around 80-85F. Above that, they grip fine, below that and they grip like an empty shopping cart. Here in Phoenix we do get below that in the winter so I do get to experience vehicle handling dynamics changes due to colder weather. Knowing how the car you are driving behaves in all weather conditions can be improved by doing some DE's in those weather conditions.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Only time I experienced the "loss of traction" unexpectedly was when my waterpump gave up the ghost (plastic impeller) and the boiling coolant ran out the overflow and under the left rear tire. Alerted me to the problem and saved my engine. I guess a power steer fluid overflow would do the same to the right rear?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

DE or not i am a 100% sure it wont mather in a unexpected situation. It boils down to this: If your cars lose traction it will happen with or without DE or Autcross experience. Maybe you can handle it better "sure". From what i have seen from people i know who use to track they are normally far to confident and not all of them are perfect drivers and without traffic "mistakes". The more confident you are the higher speed you are used to and the higher speed you think you can handle, a slight change like sand,water,oil etc may change that perception. I think the best is to play it safe drive more carefully when the weather changes to colder is far more efficient than any DE or Autocrossing can help you with. However i would recommend doing so anyways as its dead fun and you get to challenge the car like you normally don't. As well as you may have a better chance to handle your car if you had to high speed for the conditions and lost traction.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

you don't need DE for that. you just need to read the road sign that says bridge slippery when wet. Don't floor it on a bridge in cold weather..
Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is cold weather and Summer Tires don't mix. Ye been warned!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Bottom line is cold weather and Summer Tires don't mix. Ye been warned!
Ah but they can in very fun ways... if you know what you're doing
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Uhmm so you think just because you DE you have better skills then a regular driver.
Absolutely.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Generally people who go to school end up being smarter then those who don't AND even if their not smarter they definitely know more

Incase minho78 doesn't know or it hasn't come up yet... DE = Drivers Education

Quick Reply: Something happened to me today that got me scared