951 without sunroof from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thom, i just coudn't oppose it

Vous avez raison.

What comes to term Sunroof delete option, the whole term is funny, because also sunroof was an option.
If not ordered cars came without sunroof, at least in europe.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM
brooks944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I didn't click on the link that was in the message starting this thread until now, and noticed that's my ad. Yes, the car has been for sale for a while because I won't give it away. It still impresses every time I drive it. The new car I bought is an '85 911 Turbo Look (1 of 213), so my question on the numbers was related to if this car is even more rare, if so, the price I have for my 951 I've had for 12 years will probably go up (or maybe I'll just keep it)!

I actually learned that "sunroof delete" existed from this forum, so thanks to everyone for my education and your advice for the last several years!

Rick
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive an '86 German Spec model, no sun roof, no ABS, central locking, power windows, rear wiper....and a few other things....no LSD though
Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a late sunroof delete for sale right now in the US too bad its an automatic, easy to change to a manual though. There is usually always at least one sunroof delete 944 for sale somewhere in the US at any given time. This summer there was a green '87 turbo, an 88 944 NA, and a '84 NA all without sunroof. This last spring there was a '86 NA sunroof delete car on Ebay that also had factory sport seats, sport shocks, fuchs, and limited slip. It was relisted 3 times and finally sold for only $3,600 what a deal huh? Rare car it was in good shape too with only like 80K miles. So it just goes to show you there are only a few out of the masses that want these sport options and deletes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...b92dd299#v4-37
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

86 951 with no sunroof and Charcoal Grey on Tan...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Please everybody ban this expression from your technical vocabulary - "standard option" is a nonesense

There are "standard equipments" and "optional equipments".
An equipment that is optional is implicitly non-standard.
Reciprocally, an equipment that is standard fitment (eg A/C, PAS and ABS on 89+ cars) is not optional.
Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
What comes to term Sunroof delete option, the whole term is funny, because also sunroof was an option.
If not ordered cars came without sunroof, at least in europe.
You guys can argue over the logic of the verbage all day and night, but the reality is that the North American cars were imported with certain options installed by PCNA, and so commonly referred to as a "standard option" - this was the sunroofs, AC, power windows, power steering, etc. And because of this, if you didnt want AC or sunroof, etc. you needed to special order the car deleting that option.

I have an 87 dealer sales sheet. And it lists all option codes available for the US market cars. For instance, AC (M573), sunroof (M650), power steering (M657) are not listed as an available option, so they are standard on US cars. But since they are actually factory optional equipment and carry a factory option code, the term "standard option" is used to describe them.

Sorry, but its just the way it was for the US/North American cars.

Last edited by Oddjob; 01-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Here in Europe it was a different story. Most of those equipments more or less standard in the US market had to order here. I suppose only power windows were found on all Euro models. 951's without central locking system can be found quite easily. Sunroof was though very common here, most cars did have it.
What comes to my own 1988 US spec 951, it's equipped quite odd, no sunroof, no ABS, no rear wiper, no cruise control etc. According to the first owner there were this Satin Black and five Alpine Whites with similar options at RockFord IL Richard Lynch Porsche/Jaguar delareship when he bought this car.Wonder why this dealership ordered 951's with these options.After all back in 1988 selling times were long and most cars were with good options to make cars sell better.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
I am not sure about 'all', last I knew it was some but not all the lines, condensers and other accessories....might be a new rule change for this year
Yes, new for this year.....

"Rules Adopted for 2010

Stock

2. Allow all AC components to be deleted from stock class cars."
Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Here in Europe it was a different story. Most of those equipments more or less standard in the US market had to order here. I suppose only power windows were found on all Euro models. 951's without central locking system can be found quite easily. Sunroof was though very common here, most cars did have it.
What comes to my own 1988 US spec 951, it's equipped quite odd, no sunroof, no ABS, no rear wiper, no cruise control etc. According to the first owner there were this Satin Black and five Alpine Whites with similar options at RockFord IL Richard Lynch Porsche/Jaguar delareship when he bought this car.Wonder why this dealership ordered 951's with these options.After all back in 1988 selling times were long and most cars were with good options to make cars sell better.
944s were tough to sell in the late 80's due to the economy and exchange rate at the time. Probable that the dealer wanted to get a lower optioned/lower priced car in the showroom.

The options (or lack of) that makes your car unique for a US market car is the non-sunroof and no cruise. ABS is somewhat of a rare option on the 87 and 88s (non-TS cars). And you do see a lot of cars w/o the rear wiper.

Another option that you see more on 87+ US cars than RoW cars is the door rub strips.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Ot but can you use a 1989 sunroof panel in an 86 car? For some reason I seem to remember the mechanisms are different but does that include the panels themselves?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Sorry, but its just the way it was for the US/North American cars.
Well, the "M" in M650, M573 (etc) stands for "Mehrausstatung", which literaly means "additional equipment".
The concept of "option" doesn't have technical value in the technical/parts management dept of a car manufacturer.

The sales dept of Porsche Germany decided all K26/8 turbo were going to have M573, M593 and M220 as standard equipments , yet these equipments are still listed as "Mehrausstattungen" by the technical/parts management dept.

Among car manufacturer's the sales dept manages equipments one way (they add the concept of "option") and the technical management dept does it another way (they just have a list of parts). These are two different worlds that sometimes don't communicate very well as they have different needs.

Last edited by Thom; 01-15-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
brooks944
Instructor

I'd still like to know if anyone knows the production numbers for the 'sunroof delete' cars.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Don't know is it true, but i have heard about 15% of 944's came without sunroof.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's unusual, but I would agree that the dealer might have been hoping that by keeping the sticker price down he would get more takers. The combination of black monday (Oct '87 stock market crash) and the weakening dollar was a killer in this time period. My car was a late '87 delivered to Paul Miller Porsche in northern NJ in the summer of 1987. It didn't sell until late March 1988. Not sure why the dealer would have wanted 5 white ones, though.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 AM
beebone
Racer

My 89 951 S has no sunroof, half-leather seat with 4 adjustments, power door lock, elec mirror. The rest are standard S options like M030 suspension, LSD.
But mine is EU spec.

Quick Reply: 951 without sunroof from factory?