944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 without sunroof from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010 | 11:27 PM
gpan951
Advanced

No special permit to own an old car, just needs the 10 yearly Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and that's the same for all cars in Singapore.
It is expensive to own cars here due to the initial high cost of the car (high import tax) and the road tax. My 951 cost me about US$40k with 5 years of the COE remaining and the road tax for a 2500cc is about US$3700 yearly. A 2009 Carrera from the agent has a list price of US$270k, without being specced up yet!
I envy you guys in the States with the dream list of cars owned and multi car garages.....
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:05 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NEVA951
Stunning.
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:24 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thom
My '90 has no optional equipment (->no sunroof) bar full cloth seats.

PAS and electric windows are standard equipment on all Euro turbos (except Cup cars).
I believe the sunroof was a standard item, you had remove option code M650.

Originally Posted by Silver Rose
I had the impreshion that you had to special order your 951 without a sunroof which is why they call them sunroof delet. That being said you could order it without a sunroof in all markets.

AC on the other hand... I have a letter from Porsche from my early autocross days when I when I autoX'ed my 83 and wanted to remove the AC system stating "All porsche 944's had AC as standard equipment comming to the US market"

You could probably special order a car striped of everything if you wanted. Heck in 1988 you could probably special order a 962 if you hasd the money!!
Porsche will allow you to add and remove ALL equipment (option codes) there are some that are basic list items (sunroof and AC) but you can elect to have them "deleted", there were very few sunroof delete cars, and I would venture a guess there were evel fewer AC deleted cars produced (quick everyone check their factory option stickers looking for absence of M573...).

Originally Posted by gpan951
No special permit to own an old car, just needs the 10 yearly Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and that's the same for all cars in Singapore.
It is expensive to own cars here due to the initial high cost of the car (high import tax) and the road tax. My 951 cost me about US$40k with 5 years of the COE remaining and the road tax for a 2500cc is about US$3700 yearly. A 2009 Carrera from the agent has a list price of US$270k, without being specced up yet!
I envy you guys in the States with the dream list of cars owned and multi car garages.....
Is your car a US, Euro or ROW car? What are your factory option codes?
Old 01-08-2010 | 12:32 AM
gpan951
Advanced

It's a ROW car.
Option codes : C55 E59 G28 573 593 605 685 758 990.
Old 01-08-2010 | 09:37 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I believe the sunroof was a standard item, you had remove option code M650.
Well no, it's the opposite - a car with M650 means it will have sunroof fitted.

In my professional experience, from the development/production point of view, tagging an optional equipment as a "deleted equipment" makes little sense, adds confusion and does not work well in terms of data management.

To me the US importer specified his base 951 sytematically fitted with optional equipment M650.
So basically if people ordered their 951 without the sunroof, then the importer chose not to tick the M650 option box on the order sheet.
Old 01-08-2010 | 10:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

My track car (OK< one of my track cars!) is a sunroof delete car. I am the third owner – it was ordered her in the US as a euro delivery car.

PCA used to insist that all stock class 944 turbo had A/C because they said it was not possible to get a 951 without A/C in the US. If somebody has one with documentation it would be a wonderful thing to show PCA Racing….!
Old 01-08-2010 | 10:14 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
My track car (OK< one of my track cars!) is a sunroof delete car. I am the third owner – it was ordered her in the US as a euro delivery car.

PCA used to insist that all stock class 944 turbo had A/C because they said it was not possible to get a 951 without A/C in the US. If somebody has one with documentation it would be a wonderful thing to show PCA Racing….!
PCA now allows removal of all A/C equipment in stock class cars.
Old 01-08-2010 | 10:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
PCA now allows removal of all A/C equipment in stock class cars.
I am not sure about 'all', last I knew it was some but not all the lines, condensers and other accessories....might be a new rule change for this year
Old 01-08-2010 | 06:39 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpan951
Yes I'm somewhat familiar with fees for new cars. I've traveled there a few times for business. recently a co-worker from Singapore was visiting me and we were discussing this. He asked me how much I paid for my new boxster S. I said 70k US. He almost cried and said in Singapore for 70K US he can only buy a toyota corrola and probably pay more.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:47 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

My sunroof delete car does not have an option code, it was simply a lack of having the sunroof as others have mentioned.
Old 01-10-2010 | 04:36 PM
brooks944
Instructor

So, does anyone have the production numbers? I also have an '86 sunroof delete car, with air, full leather and Euro delivery - does that mean anything besides the 1st owner got a good time with the $30K deal (I have the original bill of sale)?

Thanks
Rick
Old 01-11-2010 | 05:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

No sunroof, manual windows, manual steering, no AC were not uncommon for Euro market cars. However, these delete options are rare for US/North American cars, and extremely rare to unheard of on the later 85.5+ cars.
Most euro spec 951's have sunroof. AC is very rare, but all have powersteering and power windows. All 951's except cup cars did have power steering as a standard option.

My US spec 1988 does not have sunroof, ABS or rear window wiper. Also passanger seat is manual. Then there is leather front and leatherette rear seat.Also AC is there like power windows and central locking system.According to option sticker there is only AC, nothing else.Very strange way equipped car. This car was sold 2000 miles on the clock to a finn who worked in Rockford Illinois couple of years. It was sold by Richard Lynch Porsche / Jaguar dealrship. According the first ownre there was several similar way equipped cars at Richard Lynch when he picked up this car. He got it for good price since it has some miles on it. Also this was only Satin Black one, the rest were Alpine Whites. So i suppose Richard Lynch ordered some strange cars
Old 01-11-2010 | 05:23 AM
Thom
Race Car

standard option
Please everybody ban this expression from your technical vocabulary - "standard option" is a nonesense

There are "standard equipments" and "optional equipments".
An equipment that is optional is implicitly non-standard.
Reciprocally, an equipment that is standard fitment (eg A/C, PAS and ABS on 89+ cars) is not optional.
Old 01-11-2010 | 06:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Sorry about my bad english.
Luckily in France all french can write/speak just perfect english
My native lanquage is finnish, and i can only write/speak very bad english,swedish,german,french,estonian,norweigan,danish and can order pizza & beer in italian
Old 01-11-2010 | 06:31 AM
Thom
Race Car

It's not a matter of speaking a foreign language, it's a matter of common good sense.

My comment wasn't specifically aimed at you btw, no need to be sarcastic.

Quick Reply: 951 without sunroof from factory?