Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NO FUEL AT RAIL!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO FUEL AT RAIL!?!?

O.K. I've searched around for a while and have not come up with anyone having the same symptoms as what I am experiencing. I am having a starting problem that I have finally diagnosed as a fuel problem. I just replaced the FPR and dampner. The car will not start, but will run on starting fluid. The fuel pump does not come on when I turn the ignition on - new DME relay already installed. I jumpered the relay to get the pump to start (supposedly new pump and filter last February, but I am now doubting the mechanic who did the work as I found some questionable things on my car after they worked on it). With the relay jumpered and pump audibly running, I started to get pressure on the guage at the end of the rail, but when I opened the check valve on the guage, all that I got was air releasing with a few drips of fuel. I am assuming this could be the pump check valve. Does anyone concur, or does it sound like the pump has gone bad again? Strange to me that the pump won't come on with the ignition on, but will with the jumper at the relay. I have not gotten under the car yet, but will after New Year's as I am going out of town for the holidays. Anyone have any further idea's on this? It has been too long sitting in the garage (damn football season!) without running and getting new parts that don't correct the problem. I really don't want to take it back to the shop. HELP please.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have spark from the coil?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

if you are sure you have adequate gas,

go to the fuel pump, remove the check valve and apply 12v directly to the pump terminals, see if it pumps gas (into a container of course). it should flow pretty well if the pump works properly. i could see if the check valve were stuck how it could restrict flow severely. replace check valve and filter.

when you say you jumpered the dme relay and the pump runs, does it need the key turned to run or does it do it without the key? if it runs without the key turned it might be ignition switch
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Todd, Yes. I replaced wires, cap, rotor, plugs first thing and tested spark. I have run all electrical tests from Clarks Garage that don't need an oscilloscope. Have not gotten under rear of car to test wiring and pump etc. back there yet. The car will run on starting fluid into intake.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

As Spencer said, make sure the pump is really engaging.

If so, then it sounds like the DME itself. Open the DME and check the solder points for the big transitors (2 of them) for the injectors. These sometimes crack, get really dirty, rust, etc. And this would explain why you have fuel every where except at the rail.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Spencer, I have almost a full tank. I can't remember if the key was on or not when I jumpered the relay. I will look into testing the ignition and check that (I won't ask how to do that without research, as I really don't want the criticism from the sharks on here without doing my own homework). I leave town Wednesday, so I probably won't get around to looking into this further until after beginning of new year. Any further pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LUCKYJACKASS
O.K. The fuel pump does not come on when I turn the ignition on - new DME relay already installed. I jumpered the relay to get the pump to start (supposedly new pump and filter last February, but I am now doubting the mechanic who did the work as I found some questionable things on my car after they worked on it). With the relay jumpered and pump audibly running, I started to get pressure on the guage at the end of the rail, but when I opened the check valve on the guage, all that I got was air releasing with a few drips of fuel. I am assuming this could be the pump check valve. Does anyone concur, or does it sound like the pump has gone bad again? Strange to me that the pump won't come on with the ignition on, but will with the jumper at the relay. HELP please.
If you turn on the ignition with the engine not running, the fuel pump will not run. When you start to crank the engine, the DME senses the starter voltage and turns on the fuel pump. When the RPM exceeds 200 RPM, the DME will keep the fuel pump on. If the RPM goes below 200 RPM, the fuel pump will be cut off by the DME. This prevents the fuel pump from running if the car is in a accident.

You said that with the DME relay jumpers in, you hear the pump running but get no fuel to the rail. I would check to make sure the fuel is getting to the fuel pump and that the fuel filter is OK. If that checks out, time to remove the fuel pump and test it. You may also have a fuel line pinched off. I replaced the fuel lines around the fuel pump and didn't get them in the proper location. When I bolted up the cover, it pinched off a line and I had a no start problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Todd, i actually bought used computers thinking that was the problem, but that didn't turn out to fix the problem. I had both sets of my computers tested in a running car and both sets worked. I also thought it was the Alpine alarm on the car, so I pulled all of that out (amazing how much sh*t there is to an aftermarket alarm!). Anyway, Is it normal to not get fuel at the rail, but to get pressure when the pump is running?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

the pump can push a LOT of fuel. if it is running and pushing fuel but nothing is at the rail something is blocking the pipes. might be a stuck or clogged check valve or filter, or like someone said a kinked line
Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
If you turn on the ignition with the engine not running, the fuel pump will not run. When you start to crank the engine, the DME senses the starter voltage and turns on the fuel pump. When the RPM exceeds 200 RPM, the DME will keep the fuel pump on. If the RPM goes below 200 RPM, the fuel pump will be cut off by the DME. This prevents the fuel pump from running if the car is in a accident.

You said that with the DME relay jumpers in, you hear the pump running but get no fuel to the rail. I would check to make sure the fuel is getting to the fuel pump and that the fuel filter is OK. If that checks out, time to remove the fuel pump and test it. You may also have a fuel line pinched off. I replaced the fuel lines around the fuel pump and didn't get them in the proper location. When I bolted up the cover, it pinched off a line and I had a no start problem.

+1

I am betting the FP is bad or clogged . I have yet to see a filter be bad enough to not start.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
ccg951
Track Day

Default Have you replaced the DME relay yet???

I just finished a cold start problem fix that sounds similar to your issue. When i jumped pi 30 to 87b my pump ran but I did get pressure at the rail. With DME relay back in car would not start. Changed the relay and prob solved. My "bad" relay was not running the pump. easy to replace prior to ripping into the fuel pump etc....

Quick Reply: NO FUEL AT RAIL!?!?