Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scivision MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
anyone ever opened up the "translator" to see what it is?
I didn't open it, but I did destroy one...sent it back to Russ, he sent it on and got a replacement... works better than ever...

I now have almost 10K on my Scivision setup with SFR j pipe... love it... you can see the new translator sitting on top of the MAF... I have used different MAF orientations, and seen no performance difference in the MAF V out as seen by my Zietronix setup...

Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I tried dropping the cost. I bought everything myself. Didn't really come out cheaper than the current kits out there.
Darwin your price is good since you have chips and other stuff. I would like to source something cheaper for porsche owners. Something like other mafs that when they are not performing you can buy one cheap.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I didn't open it, but I did destroy one...sent it back to Russ, he sent it on and got a replacement... works better than ever...

I now have almost 10K on my Scivision setup with SFR j pipe... love it... you can see the new translator sitting on top of the MAF... I have used different MAF orientations, and seen no performance difference in the MAF V out as seen by my Zietronix setup...

John what's the bosch maf number on your unit? If i could get a bad translator I would probably ask one of our hardware engineers to figure it ou since we have some guys over here that burn their EEPROM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by minho78
John what's the bosch maf number on your unit? If i could get a bad translator I would probably ask one of our hardware engineers to figure it ou since we have some guys over here that burn their EEPROM.
It is a Bosche HFM5 MAF, SCU W0133-1816219, but this MAF is NLA from Bosche, there are replacements being made in China, but they are a sad attempt to mimic the German piece. FWIW my replacement harness was a mere $75...

Bosche still makes the HFM6 and 7 series sensors, but they are pricey.. and higher CFM at 100% sensor load

The main cost drivers for the Scivision MAF setup are the MAF sensor, and the connectors for the MAF and the Vehicle AFM connection. This is true for any MAF setup, and the effort to make it plug and play..

There is opportunity for a cheaper DIY solution, but it will be just that DIY.. there is always the option to buy plug and play, or DIY.. it can even be done with turbo kits, but in the end it comes down to what the user wants... plug and play with support or figure it out yourself...

I too can burn my own EEPROMS, and read them, I am using MaxTune with an Ostrich 2 in my daily driver (in photo)... but having support vs having someone rip apart your work and duplicate it is what is at work here... there is a wealth of information out there regarding the translator (or one like it) and the embedded code for the translation code... but then all that is needed to come up with that is google...

Really what kills me in all these discussions is the need of some to have the effort done for them rather than finding it themselves...

http://pauertuning.com/index_files/Scivision.htm
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
It is a Bosche HFM5 MAF, SCU W0133-1816219, but this MAF is NLA from Bosche, there are replacements being made in China, but they are a sad attempt to mimic the German piece. FWIW my replacement harness was a mere $75...

Bosche still makes the HFM6 and 7 series sensors, but they are pricey.. and higher CFM at 100% sensor load

The main cost drivers for the Scivision MAF setup are the MAF sensor, and the connectors for the MAF and the Vehicle AFM connection. This is true for any MAF setup, and the effort to make it plug and play..

There is opportunity for a cheaper DIY solution, but it will be just that DIY.. there is always the option to buy plug and play, or DIY.. it can even be done with turbo kits, but in the end it comes down to what the user wants... plug and play with support or figure it out yourself...

I too can burn my own EEPROMS, and read them, I am using MaxTune with an Ostrich 2 in my daily driver (in photo)... but having support vs having someone rip apart your work and duplicate it is what is at work here... there is a wealth of information out there regarding the translator (or one like it) and the embedded code for the translation code... but then all that is needed to come up with that is google...

Really what kills me in all these discussions is the need of some to have the effort done for them rather than finding it themselves...

http://pauertuning.com/index_files/Scivision.htm
Well i'm not trying to copy anything, I just wanted to know if they change the voltage linearly or they have a processor where the tranfer function resides.

I'm pretty sure I can burn my own chips also, I graduated with a computer/ electrical engineering degree from NJIT, and work in electronics but I don't have the time to search.

I was gonna buy the Ostritch but when I saw that one of best chip tuners dropped that type of hardware I got scared. I work with firmware and when I see some of the bugs that we go through it's no joke. So I imagine what could happen when your at at WOT and one of the processes fails. Good luck
Old 12-18-2009, 06:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by minho78
Well i'm not trying to copy anything, I just wanted to know if they change the voltage linearly or they have a processor where the tranfer function resides.

I'm pretty sure I can burn my own chips also, I graduated with a computer/ electrical engineering degree from NJIT, and work in electronics but I don't have the time to search.

I was gonna buy the Ostritch but when I saw that one of best chip tuners dropped that type of hardware I got scared. I work with firmware and when I see some of the bugs that we go through it's no joke. So I imagine what could happen when your at at WOT and one of the processes fails. Good luck
My comments weren't specifically directed at you, I have made the same comments before in the "interest in DIY tuning" thread..., they were more for the benefit of some of the viewers of the thread who are only reading....

The Ostrich is a great tool, but most tuning houses will tune a car with it, then burn the immage to a chip set to run the car... it is safer that way, it prevents the internal battery in the Ostrich from being the lynchpin of the system...

The Scivision "translator" does handle the transfer functions, with hard coded prom embedded in the controller.. much like was done here

the information is readily available, just not too many people with the tried and true skill set to pull it off... most of these cars are being used as daily driver / sole transport, and this type of DIY can turn a perfectly good car into a parted out car in a heart beat! For the majority of people on here, having support for the things they put on their car is a big NEED, not a nice to have...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

My comments weren't specifically directed at you, I have made the same comments before in the "interest in DIY tuning" thread..., they were more for the benefit of some of the viewers of the thread who are only reading....

John(No offense taken), If I had time I would definately do some research. I understand that most of our tuners out there devote lots of hours and money researching and developing products. Therefore they have to charge for their time, since they also have a family to feed. Like I said I work in a electronics company and we are about 300 engineers from software to mechanical. Therefore companies have to make money.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main cost drivers for the Scivision MAF setup are the MAF sensor, and the connectors for the MAF and the Vehicle AFM connection
MAF sensor might be expensive but all connectors i have seen installed to these kits have been used ones taken from old AFM sensors. Most likely this kind of connector is not any longer available as a new part.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

i really would like to know what is inside that "translator"
i keep having a feeling that its a plastic covering to hide the simply soldered wires between the maf output and the afm plug, like i did
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

i really would like to know what is inside that "translator"
i keep having a feeling that its a plastic covering to hide the simply soldered wires between the maf output and the afm plug, like i did
There is no need to destroy a unit. Attached you can find a picture of the internals. It is mainly a microprocessor and a DA converter.

Somewhere I wrote here about the system some years ago. Anyway - it's simple: The CPU reads the MAF in kg/h. With the temperature you get the density of the air in kg/m3. With that you can convert the mass flow to volume flow in m3/h. Knowing the characteristic curve of the AFM you can set the DAC to the corresponding output.

But finally the code for the system became around 600 lines of code big. The reason for that is mainly the faster and more sensible MAF sensor. You have to learn the ideas of the guys Cooley und Tukey about FFT. Then you have to simulate the mechanical behaviour to get the over- and underswing of the AFM. And you have to handle backflow in the sensor. In the AFM the flap closes the unit when e.g. the BOV opens. With a MAF you have to take care of the escapeing air. There are a few other things to consider but as a result you get a MAF based AFM completly compatible to the original mechanical AFM.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Transaxle
There is no need to destroy a unit. Attached you can find a picture of the internals. It is mainly a microprocessor and a DA converter.

Somewhere I wrote here about the system some years ago. Anyway - it's simple: The CPU reads the MAF in kg/h. With the temperature you get the density of the air in kg/m3. With that you can convert the mass flow to volume flow in m3/h. Knowing the characteristic curve of the AFM you can set the DAC to the corresponding output.

But finally the code for the system became around 600 lines of code big. The reason for that is mainly the faster and more sensible MAF sensor. You have to learn the ideas of the guys Cooley und Tukey about FFT. Then you have to simulate the mechanical behaviour to get the over- and underswing of the AFM. And you have to handle backflow in the sensor. In the AFM the flap closes the unit when e.g. the BOV opens. With a MAF you have to take care of the escapeing air. There are a few other things to consider but as a result you get a MAF based AFM completly compatible to the original mechanical AFM.
That's what I thought. Thanks. I'll search for that thread.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

someone get a chip reader so we can take the code, burn our own chips and use junkyard mafs
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

someone get a chip reader so we can take the code, burn our own chips and use junkyard mafs
Rogue is doing this now or has the ability to do this.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Rogue is doing this now or has the ability to do this.
Whoa - please reword this. I am not taking anyones code. I've been working on dis-assembling the stock software and rewriting it for some time.
I do not condone ripping someones hard work.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Whoa - please reword this. I am not taking anyones code. I've been working on dis-assembling the stock software and rewriting it for some time.
I do not condone ripping someones hard work.
I have his back on this. Otherwise I would be running a GT40 MAF with no fuel controller .

Definitely don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here.

Quick Reply: Scivision MAF