Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Damn.. totaled

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlege
this says it all. Sorry dude. But im not sure i would want a Porsche if i didnt have atleast 10 years driving under my belt
Bought my first Porsche when was 32 years old (i'm now almost 34) Never owned a rear wheel drive car and i've been driving since 1993. It takes a lot of getting used to, especially since a real sports car. That said, I take it pretty easy.

Though I can really understand to do some spirited driving even at the wrong times. I have never crashed a car though.

Sebastian
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's worth restating this: insurance companies can deny a payout if they discover that you were secretly the primary driver.

I would urge the OP to carefully consider what he posts online about the accident.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
drew44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sebastian951
I have never crashed a car though.
go knock on wood!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Maybe it's worth restating this: insurance companies can deny a payout if they discover that you were secretly the primary driver.

I would urge the OP to carefully consider what he posts online about the accident.
You can still be listed as the primary driver on your parents insurance policy. The person with the policy just has to have the title of the car in their name. I would assume this is the case with the OP so there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a couple others have said, losing the memory just before head trauma is not uncommon. I've had this happen to me once while riding at a skate park. One second everything’s normal, on my way back to earth after airing a 6ft quarter pipe. Fast forward about 2 seconds (of which I have no memory of) and I’m face first at the bottom of the transition, wondering what the heck just happened.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

For those of you who don't live in California, I can attest to the fact that roads here get very greasy with very little water on them. I have over 25 years of driving experience and learned to drive in Ottawa, Canada and drove through 15 snowy winters there so know how to control cars in the slip, but even I got taken off guard a couple years ago in San Mateo, CA, when I took my 951 onto a curving onramp with just a lite dampness on it, at a very slow speed (15-20 mph) and next thing I know I'm backwards. Luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone and no one hit me, but it shook me up... So, just sayin'...
Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by brad-cam
For those of you who don't live in California, I can attest to the fact that roads here get very greasy with very little water on them. I have over 25 years of driving experience and learned to drive in Ottawa, Canada and drove through 15 snowy winters there so know how to control cars in the slip, but even I got taken off guard a couple years ago in San Mateo, CA, when I took my 951 onto a curving onramp with just a lite dampness on it, at a very slow speed (15-20 mph) and next thing I know I'm backwards. Luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone and no one hit me, but it shook me up... So, just sayin'...
Lets not get carried away. Roads everywhere are greasy and slippery when it first rains. They dont lay roads with a special solvent in California then any where else. Its all the same stuff. Being careful is the way to improve your chances of not getting into an accident.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Lets not get carried away. Roads everywhere are greasy and slippery when it first rains. They dont lay roads with a special solvent in California then any where else. Its all the same stuff. Being careful is the way to improve your chances of not getting into an accident.
Well, of course. I'm just pointing out that in this neck of the woods, there is not a single drop of rain between April and November (at least not that year) so yes there is a special solvent on the roads - 8 months of grime... that's all I'm trying
to say, nothing more.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Very sorry to hear, but glad to your alright. You had one nice looking car that I always thought looked similar to mine. I learned to drive here in norcal where we do get a fair amount of rain and ice, it really is quite different than San Diego county. My DD is AWD which is amazing but I am staring to miss some fun every now and then. I too had an accident in my 951 after loosing control on some sand on a mountain road. It was "my fault" because I should have avoided the sand. I never disclosed it with the insurance company because I knew they'd never believe the truth. Something about being young and the words "porsche" and "turbo" are too difficult for some ignorant people to put together nicely.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Ever driven on the "special solvent" called magnesium chloride? Its really slippery.

-Dana
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carlege,
I think what he is trying to say is that because they do not get much rain at all, the grease/oil build up is greater....which with just a little water is SLICK as hell.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by CPR
Carlege,
I think what he is trying to say is that because they do not get much rain at all, the grease/oil build up is greater....which with just a little water is SLICK as hell.
well, yeah but every place ive lived has had times where it didnt rain for months and on the other hand where it rained enough in a week to make up for those months. Its tit for tat dosent matter
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

the thing is, right when the rainy season starts here (like it just did), the very light amount that starts it off will loosen all that oil and stuff in the road. it will rain pretty hard after that but there is certainly a good amount of slippery road out there for the first week or so.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Damn, you sure can extrapolate a lot from an otherwise short story. Maybe you should change your screen name to Judge Judy.
Perhaps you can explain how one "passes out" before impact. I've heard of goats passing out and falling down though.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drh
Perhaps you can explain how one "passes out" before impact. I've heard of goats passing out and falling down though.
He didn't pass out. He just doesn't remember.

Quick Reply: Damn.. totaled