Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Damn.. totaled

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chapman,
Glad you are OK, and sorry about your moms car.

LART,
HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK ABOUT PARTING THIS CAR SO SOON AFTER THE ACCIDENT??? But if you do I need the door panels and driver side PW switch assembly
Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Chapman,
sorry about your moms car.
I wonder if insurance people are as stupid as he thinks they are?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballistic-Chapman
I don't have a garage or storage space so buying it back won't be an option. Honestly don't want to invest the time in parting whats left. Will end up being more of a headache than anything else.

if you can get a price i think i could help you out.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
he hit a “wet patch.” I have NEVER heard of anyone who “lost consciousness before impact” who wasn’t drunk, high or both; unless they had a friggin heart attack! “Ballistic” what really happened?? I for one am glad you are off the road. (Sorry about the car though, looks like it was really nice. I know that sucks.) If you get back in a 951 you better learn how to drive it and do some DE for sure. Someone should send this to his mom so she will know that her kid trashed a perfectly good car and that it wasn't because of a "wet patch."

Glad your not dead kid, but you need a dose of reality. I call BS on your story.
being from san diego, when it starts to rain, everyone forgets how to drive, because it is such a rare occurrance. that said large slick spots can form on the highways and roads down here as they arent maintained super well but you cant really tell by looking at them.

i have hydroplaned my 944 at 60mph on the highway after it barely sprinkled.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Did anyone really read this post before replying with condolences?? Let’s dissect shall we? (First telltale, his screen name starts with “Ballistic”) Carefully read his post (in black) with my notes (in italics) for emphasis: “Was driving back from the beach last Wednesday (night, after having a few pops at the bar) when I lost control on a corner (because I was showing off.) Must have hit a wet patch and the rear-end came loose (because my entry speed was too fast and I lifted, or I got on the boost in the corner; likely because I was driving either slightly or completely impaired…see his following statement ->) Lost consciousness before impact and don't remember anything. (HOW DOES ONE LOOSE CONSCIOUSNESS BEFORE IMPACT???) Was told I smacked into another car and then skidded off the road. (…WAS “TOLD”??? by the other person in the car? Or, the people he was racing home? Or, the people he was showing of for??) Other people were not hurt. (Thank God! And thank god he only passed out BEFORE he hit anything!) I suffered a nice gash around the eye which required 10 stitches and a lacerated kidney. Was put in the ICU for 3 days until I stopped peeing blood. Body is bruised but i'm doing alright. (+1 and amazed the 20 year old airbags deployed and saved his *** from worse damage). Really loved this car... put a smile on my face every time I went out for a spin. (heh, heh…he said “spin”)

I’m glad no one else was hurt period. I can’t believe everyone on the list is offering condolences to this guy given his own statements!! He’s lucky to be alive and lucky he didn’t kill himself or others. The photos speak volumes…he was traveling fast when he hit if you look at the damage. Textbook example of an inexperienced driver behind the wheel of car he doesn’t know how to drive endangering himself and all around him. He should be ashamed and his story is BS. I do not know ANY 944 driver who has lost control because he hit a “wet patch.” I have NEVER heard of anyone who “lost consciousness before impact” who wasn’t drunk, high or both; unless they had a friggin heart attack! “Ballistic” what really happened?? I for one am glad you are off the road. (Sorry about the car though, looks like it was really nice. I know that sucks.) If you get back in a 951 you better learn how to drive it and do some DE for sure. Someone should send this to his mom so she will know that her kid trashed a perfectly good car and that it wasn't because of a "wet patch."

Glad your not dead kid, but you need a dose of reality. I call BS on your story.
Hmm.. was not expecting this when I woke up.

The crash happened at 3pm and had class that evening... so i'm not drinking. I'm sure the blood tests at the hospital would have shown any margin of alcohol in my system and the cops would have been informed. My old screen name was: ilikeballistic and have been transitioning to just Chapman. I used to own a Ballistic bodyboard for riding the waves.
Lost consciousness before impact does sound strange. But I really don't remember anything except losing it and a ride to the hospital. I don't have any DE events under my belt, but after 4 years of ownership, I feel like "one" with the car and know now it handles. The 968 sway bar helped me out big time deal with oversteer since I don't know how to correct a slip rear-end very well.
I'll admit I didn't buy this car to drive the posted speed limit every single day. If i'm feeling heroic, i'll watch the instruments much closer... this wasn't one of those days. Believe the posted speed limit was 55 so I could have been going 5-10 over the limit. But thats nothing for these cars. Factoring in the speed of the other car might also be why the damage is so significant.

Yeah it did rain the previous day so maybe the roads were a bit saturated. Thats a conclusion one of the nurses came up with. I don't have any rain-driving experience.

Thanks for your analysis.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951_RS
The only difference between doing something stupid, and doing something horrible (like killing someone) is random chance to be honest. Many times I'm sure a lot of us have done something stupid that only ended up in a spun car stopped in the opposite lane or what not that could have easily ended up in an accident had there been a car in the other lane.
Well said. To the original poster, frankly, it doesn't matter what any of us think. We have all, without exception, done something regrettable in a car.

I would caution you against talking about it online, though. This has the potential to be a sticky claim, depending on your (*mom's) adjuster, and I find it hard to believe that someone investigating the wreck of a modified car wouldn't search the internet to see if he could find you and your car.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
We have all, without exception, done something regrettable in a car.
i had to take 3 showers after she was gone
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ballistic-Chapman
I don't have any rain-driving experience.
this says it all. Sorry dude. But im not sure i would want a Porsche if i didnt have atleast 10 years driving under my belt
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

It's very clear you need to take personal responsibility here. That means a clear assessment of why this happened and what you should do about it.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM
drew44
Instructor

Ballistic-Chapman, Were you saying it's your mom's car just for insurance purposes? I ask because I bought my first 44 in high school and had it insured under my parents name to save tons of money. It was my car, but legally it was my parents.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good to see your OK
Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i had to take 3 showers after she was gone
Here, here!

:lol:
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

A hard enough hit and concussion would cause some retrograde amnesia, which could explain having no memory of the actual impact. No one here ever took a head shot in football?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
It's very clear you need to take personal responsibility here. That means a clear assessment of why this happened and what you should do about it.
Yeah it's 100% my fault. I already admitted that to the insurance company.

Last edited by Ballistic-Chapman; 12-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing to think about. Where I live if it doesn't rain for awhile the roads get oil on them. When it rains the roads become an oil slick for some types of tires. This happened to my daughter many years ago. The damage to my car looked very similar, only the side dent was caused by a telephone pole. Lucky that no one else was in the car with her. Yes it was her fault for not driving correctly for the road conditions.

Quick Reply: Damn.. totaled