Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ITB Intake Manifold interest

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike@Lindsey, any updates on this product?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Was this cancelled
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
The intake looks good. If you want some feedback, I'd make sure you have sufficient room above the bellmouth for runner #4. You need to have a volume above the entry that will fit a sphere with a radius 1.5 times the radius of the runner. The "picture" is a scoop of ice cream in a cone (where part is down in the runner). You may, it is hard to tell from the picture. If you can make the plenum surfaces less flat, that would help with noise and durability (fatigue), as well.
Can you or someone else elaborate on exactly how much space in each direction is needed with a bellmouth that is slightly raised from the floor?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptuomov
Can you or someone else elaborate on exactly how much space in each direction is needed with a bellmouth that is slightly raised from the floor?
Imagine an ice cream cone. If it is 1 unit in diameter, then imagine teh scoop of ice cream sitting on the top of it being 1.5 units in diameter. That is what you need. You can trig out where exactly it needs to be, as far as how far into the cone the scoop sits. More room won't hurt, but less will.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Imagine an ice cream cone. If it is 1 unit in diameter, then imagine teh scoop of ice cream sitting on the top of it being 1.5 units in diameter. That is what you need. You can trig out where exactly it needs to be, as far as how far into the cone the scoop sits. More room won't hurt, but less will.
I've seen some CFD graphs that show the bellmouth sucking from a broad area on the side and surprisingly small distance from directly on the top.

These I think are from Blair's RET article originally. My instinct says that as long as the walls are at the zero Mach area in the below graphs, then one should be ok. But that's just instinct.

Simple straight pipe end sucks like you describe from the ice cream scoop:

Bellmouth looks a lot flatter:

If you measure from the bellmouth center, then it's maybe 1 D up and 1.5 D to the sides. Of course, if you measure from the floor, then it's about 2.5 D from up and 1.5 D to sides.

I don't know how the graph would change if we would sink the bellmouth to the floor or actually put walls around the whose thing.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptuomov
I've seen some CFD graphs .......
CFD trumps rules of thumb just about every time!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I milled a couple plates to add Hayabusa ITBs to a nissan 4 banger once (NA). Looked pretty cool and woke the engine up. The guy had to weld in tubes between the plates and had trumpets on hand.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Bump - given the recent discussion on ITBs recently...
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess if you really want ITBs, you'd make them for your application.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:11 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It is much easier and cheaper to buy a set of suitable ITB's, also motorcycle ITB's are by far better quality than most aftermarket ones..
Old 07-14-2015, 11:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

wonder how much of the "gains" from ITBs are from matching all the runners in length so they all tune to a certain (high) rpm, rather than having mixed lengths to broaden the tuning effect...

would you rather make equal length or unequal length runners?

ITB is something i've thought about playing with, i of course have an idea to build a setup for pretty cheap with a near-limitless supply of OEM throttles in either 39 or 50mm sizes, with larger ones available from the aftermarket...into a plenum to run a MAF. but the easiest way to do it that i can come up with would likely result in a slight mismatch of one pair of cylinders in runner length.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Why run MAF when you have installed ITB's? I would understand if you run forced induction and then use existing MAF system, but I personally wouldn't even bother installing MAF when using ITB's. It is just another restriction and just another thing to fail... Plus MAF sensors do not like pulsing air that is present with ITB's and/or wilder cams...
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What would you use instead of MAF? Asking cause I don't know

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Why run MAF when you have installed ITB's? I would understand if you run forced induction and then use existing MAF system, but I personally wouldn't even bother installing MAF when using ITB's. It is just another restriction and just another thing to fail... Plus MAF sensors do not like pulsing air that is present with ITB's and/or wilder cams...
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
the common plenum pre-tbs should smooth out pulses, and the MAF would make for easier tuning and idling.
plus, i already have the MAF

the sensor is so narrow that any restriction it may pose would be pretty minimal.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

When going through hassle of installing ITB's, going some standalone would be pretty much the only reasonable way. This is purely because there is almost no OEM ECU that has proper control strategy for ITB's. Only ECU's that comes to mind is Nissan RB26DETT, BMW S engines and some others too.

MAF will not make ITB's easier to tune and with standalone using Alpha-N+load compensation (MAP hose connected before throttles) gives the best result.
But, to each their own.

Quick Reply: ITB Intake Manifold interest