Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My timing depends on boost...
I also run E85 which wants 3-4degrees more advance then gasoline.

I posted what the stock timing advance is here:

click

-Rogue
Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, that puts it in perspective. To many graphs and numbers was confusing. Do you have your e-85 setup on here somewhere?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

No, not yet... I tend to have a lot of projects going on simultaneously.
But E85 is really a pretty simple conversion. You simply need to increase your fueling by 33%, and that should get you in the ballpark. E85 also wants a bit more timing as well.
There are threads with more info, or feel free to PM me - I don't want to take Johns thread too far off course.

-Rogue
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Ok thanks, that already helped alot.

To get back on topic, John how are you coming up with the numbers for your timing advance and do you set it for each rpm point?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schip43
Ok thanks, that already helped alot.

To get back on topic, John how are you coming up with the numbers for your timing advance and do you set it for each rpm point?
Yes I set it based on RPM and throttle position, taking into account Boost levels at RPM...

Im using a full tilt Zietronix setup for WBO2, RPM, MAP (manifold Absolute pressure), MAF voltage, and EGT... I have a bunch of data logs, and when I make changes I review the new log compared with the old one and decide changes from there...

I also installed a Curtis event counter on KLR pin 15 to record the Knock events...

I am using MaxTune software with a Ostrich V2 and socket booster for my 24 pin DME, this allows me to rapidly update the fuel and ignition maps, even while the car is being driven down the road...Yes I did this just to see what if anything would happen, nothing did..

I CAN induce Knock if I try REAL hard now, but my normal driving results in 1 or 2 events being logged on the counter... I'm now going for MAXIMUM MPG with the level of performance I am currently getting, and backing off the timing to reduce the incidence of Knock.. I realize I am advanced over stock, but so is the car right now (and will only become more modified...)

As this week is bringing daily rain, and doctors appts for my wife (long story) I am limited as to what I can accomplish this week, but my plan is by weeks end to have the new turbo installed (as long as parts come in..seals and such) and to be abck retuning asap with a fresher turbo and a resolve to maximize performance and enjoyment with MPG (I use the car as a daily driver, not my only car, but my daily car, and have a daily commute of 150 miles or so...)

I started this thread as a thread as a place to exchange ideas, not just to show what I am doing, but for eveyone to jump in and post what they are running.. that way as some new owners or older owners but new modifiers want to start bumping the horsepower, they can se that the only options available to them are not just bolt on kits from a vendor... but that they might just be able to pull off their goals themselves with a little of this and a little of that... ala true "choppers" or rat rods.... come on guys it isn't rocket science..

That is why I asked in the original post, who is running what and how is it running for you?

Chris White: I am planning right now to have my engine crated and sent to you this winter..more to follow as tomorrow becomes yesterday..
Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Can someone explain what kind of timing values we should be looking for with these engines?
Low, mid and high, I thought 32 34 degrees at wot w/ no knock is ok.

Is that off?
Way off, unless you remove the turbo.

Flame fronts travel much faster as pressure increases - so less ignition advance is used as boost increases.

There is no single answer...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
Way off, unless you remove the turbo.

Flame fronts travel much faster as pressure increases - so less ignition advance is used as boost increases.

There is no single answer...
Or 110 unleaded gas...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
That is why I asked in the original post, who is running what and how is it running for you?
Ostrich 2.0 w/ socket booster.
TunerPro software for editing.

Runs very well

-Rogue
Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Well, I made some tweaks, and took her out..beat the **** out of her on the highway... recorded 3 logs, with a total of 20 miles, 3 knocks all on 1-2 shifts...

MAJOR adjustment to the part throttle ignition map, minor adjustment of the WOT map...

now I believe I need to back down the part throttle ignition map to get rid of the 1-2 shift knock...

running very well, same as before... no major differences... NO Knocks on a hard 5th gear pull from 3K to 4300... (ran out of open road to play... and too many cops out today to be weaving in and out...)

Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

2 changes this morning to each fuel and timing, here is where I stopped due to time constraints...
retarded teh timing some, leaned the fuel some at WOT...
AFRs now go as low as 12:1 above 4K WOT
are above 12:1 part throttle application
turned boost back to 13PSI.. and am planning on replacing leaky turbo no later than next weekend...

Last set of data shows AFRs holding where you guys have said they should be, and only 1 knock event recorded on a 1-2 shift (5300RPM shift)
sounds like a good tune then.

AND just so I understand your point of view, if you are rich and retarded you are flaming... but with a hot blower?
i believe thats because more fuel is still combusting while it travels through the pipes to the turbo which heats it up more.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
AND just so I understand your point of view, if you are rich and retarded you are flaming... but with a hot blower?
i believe thats because more fuel is still combusting while it travels through the pipes to the turbo which heats it up more.
LOL, you totally missed it...

-Rogue
Old 07-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

John, your PT timing map on page 2 looks better then the current... The current doesn't have enough timing - you will definitely lose performance/economy in the PT along with high EGT. One thing to keep in mind is that the DME uses the WOT map anytime you are over ~60% throttle.

-Rogue
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
John, your PT timing map on page 2 looks better then the current... The current doesn't have enough timing - you will definitely lose performance/economy in the PT along with high EGT. One thing to keep in mind is that the DME uses the WOT map anytime you are over ~60% throttle.

-Rogue
Thank you for the input, I have swapped it back... EGT was slightly elevated, but not exceptionally high.. but...

I wanted to make it overly retarded, and bring it back... I need to get an updated Ziet controller, mine wont let me calibrate my throttle reading, so I have to constantly look at the TPS reading and multiply by 1.4... pain in the ***

Any who.. I have been looking hard at my AFRs below 60% (42 indicated) throttle as well as trying to watch for knock counts... car runs like a raped ape right now, but I DO seriously need to swap the turbo out (I believe my boost flutter, yes it is real as I can HEAR it through the MAF) and it is leaky... (more oil in the IC pipes than the J pipe, none in the J Pipe since SM catch can installation..

I am waiting for seals and hardware for the turbo swapout, I'm thinking about parking it until I get that done... then wrap up the tune (add fuel below 50% and add timing until the knock barrier is found... new ziet box, new WBO2 sensor... all things in time, and all good things to those who wait...

All things said and done, I still remain happy with the performance, and the MaxTune / Ostrich combo... Now to get it wrapped up, new chips burned, and move the ostrich over to the N/A, get new BS bearings installed in the N/A and then go out and tune it for some more fun... And get some damn dyno sessions in there some where... Fun hobby we have isn't it?

Oh and I envy your E-85, and hate you for it... good ole E-10 93 pump is all I can get without going for race gas... and running race unleaded on the street is for big blower rat rods..not Porsches...right?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

-Rogue
A little.. I have been told I have an odd sense of humor, that not everyone gets all the time...
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

-Rogue

oh.

Quick Reply: AFRs and Timing advance/retard