Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Am I going to nuke something?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am finishing up installing a 951 intercooler in my early, and i dont think you guys realize how different that area is. It would have been much easier finding a tall and narrow IC, but i wanted it to be as similar to a 951 as possible. I had to fab brackets to lower the radiator, i welded in a late hood latch support, did lots and lots and lots of sheet metal trimming and cutting, and finally, the top of front frame rail is about an inch lower on the late cars so that the IC is angled to clear the header panel (havent decided what to do about this yet). Personally i think this is the best way to go. I think an a2w ic will be even more headaches then what i went through.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i cant see how, considering ill need to run 2 maybe 1.25" OD water lines through existing holes in the body, compared to a 2"+ ic pipe not to mention cutting up the front clip. IMO there is a good amount of space behind the bumper for a HE, and the IC itself just sits up in the engine bay.

ot but how does a thread get tagged for searching? i just noticed

Tags
944, eaton, m90, porsche, supercharger

?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

detonation bump
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the kit im looking at is from a very reputable company (frozenboost) and they look like quality products. ill go with their HE to start with since its part of the kit but if it doesnt seem to perform enough there are a few pick n pulls here that i could get a radiator for like $10

and yes ive thought about a reservoir and im trying to devise a place to mount such a thing...maybe over where the cruise control unit used to be, or where the PS reservoir is not being used..
Check for space under one of the fenders. Excellent place for something like that, as to keep it away from engine heat.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

maybe behind the passenger wheel, ala the charcoal canister on the DS
Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if this guy's car build was previous to your 15k posts or maybe you were around but I am sure it'll turn you on...

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuo93/srfmhfgm

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't fully understand what you're trying to do here. I don't mean to discourage you but there comes a point when you really have to take a step back and see what you're doing. Like Pat said, at the end of the day what are you really accomplishing? I would only waste so much money for so little gain. If a factory IC will work, you'll shortly find that you'll want to use the simplest option. 944s are already complicated and getting one tuned in to run consistently and reliably is tricky in factory form, but when you get crazy with other parts the initial excitement of the build is quickly overshadowed by the lack of reliability. And if you think this post is discouraging just wait until you can't get your 944 to run the way you want. I'm as much a builder of cars as I am a driver and I can understand your enthusiasm but sometimes too much is just that, too much. Either way, good luck on what you decide.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

like i said to pat, im doing this more for a project to keep myself entertained and busy rather than an outright max-power build. the 944 needs more grunt, everyone understands that, and mine needs it especially badly since i have a 951 gearbox now.

i have been greatly intrigued by sid's project for a year and a half now and want to do something like that, but adjust it to fit my car and my area (91 octane rather than e85) and so i am trying to get this all set up to get the most power that i can on 91 octane without a huge risk of detonation. as time goes on and money continues to flow in at its slow rate more things can be changed and the output of the system can be increased. however i want to start off with as good a baseline as i can from the get-go.

if it comes down to having to get a larger pulley made to pull boost i will. but right now im trying to see if i can save the trouble of having a pulley made if the stock size pulley is going to push between 8-10psi. at 8psi i dont think ill be at such a huge risk. at 10 im not so sure. there is no surefire way to see what kind of boost i will be seeing on my application until it is all together.

but the point of this thread was to take in you 951 guy's tuning experiences in avoiding knock and nuking engines and trying to apply it to my own project due to the basic similarities of the engines. same block, same cam, similar flowing heads, same ignition system, same fuel system (with regards to pump, rail, FPR, etc) and same basic computer (motronic basic functions are the same regardless of car)

i know there are many, many things that lead to detonation and i wanted to see if you guys thought it would be happening within a certain set of parameters that i gave you. so far i think ive gotten 1 or 2 actual answers to that question. without regards to my intercooler choice, which seems to be the main topic of this thread, is it likely i will see detonation at 8-10psi?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is any consolation, I still wish I had stuck with the SC car (just using a twin screw rather than roots).

However, I have learned a lot and have some good parts now to really get after it.

From light to light, even up to 60 mph, very few 951's will be able to compete.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

dont know if you remember our conversation a while back sid but i was looking at a millenia twinscrew but decided to go with the M90 simply do to availability of parts. the twinscrew i picked up was of unknown mileage, it still spun fine and didnt have shaft play or bearing noise or anything but finding parts to rebuild it was impossible, the millenia guys just get new ones or get them rebuilt by the 2 mechanics worldwide that have the facilities to do so ($3000+!!!!), not to mention the need for engine oil in the millenia SC.

once everything gets together and working like i said eventually things will be getting upgraded, maybe finding a similarly sized lysholm to swap in for a better top end. but for now i rely on FORD POWER lol
Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
I'm not sure if this guy's car build was previous to your 15k posts or maybe you were around but I am sure it'll turn you on...

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuo93/srfmhfgm

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't fully understand what you're trying to do here. I don't mean to discourage you but there comes a point when you really have to take a step back and see what you're doing. Like Pat said, at the end of the day what are you really accomplishing? I would only waste so much money for so little gain. If a factory IC will work, you'll shortly find that you'll want to use the simplest option. 944s are already complicated and getting one tuned in to run consistently and reliably is tricky in factory form, but when you get crazy with other parts the initial excitement of the build is quickly overshadowed by the lack of reliability. And if you think this post is discouraging just wait until you can't get your 944 to run the way you want. I'm as much a builder of cars as I am a driver and I can understand your enthusiasm but sometimes too much is just that, too much. Either way, good luck on what you decide.
I just want to second this comment. As a person who build a Supercharged 944, when I look back I really don't think it was worth it (compared to my turbo conversion). I'm really happy with my turbo charged 944 because it was so simple to do and is so reliable, the only extra parts are my Mafterburner, J&S Safeguard, water injection. If you love your 944 and really want more power from it, slap in a good turbo motor and get some aftermarket engine management, if you have post 85.5 all the bits will just bolt up. Again, I'm a fellow hacker and don't want to discourage you but you don't want to spend a ton of time and money and end up with a motor that only produces 200hp and a blower that struggles to produce 10 PSI, once you have that 200hp your are probably going to want more then realize your current setup is maxed out.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the blower doesnt struggle to produce 10psi; that is what the uppermost limit of what I WOULD USE with my higher compression (maybe a tick higher than stock since i shaved my head down a bit, maybe 9.6:1)

like i said a minute ago the "current setup" is going to be a baseline to be improved upon as time passes. a more efficient blower someday, a custom tune, etc, and maybe eventually a 951 shortblock for something crazy (that ive already started dreaming about lol).

but for now if i can get maybe 200 to the wheels i will be a happy camper for some time. however i do know the urge for more power; i got a ride in a 951 yesterday with 300rwhp and dear god...
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

bump

would it make sense to test run the completed setup with 100 octane in the tank and check boost pressure, how the car is running etc and then tune it down from there to stay with 91? i got a quote already for machining a new larger pulley to limit boost but when the time comes i want to know if thats even necessary
Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would base tune with the fuel you plan on running, THEN retune for high octane race gas... rather than the opposite, only reason I say this is the high octane stuff is expensive, and not widely available...

not to mention if you start with pump gas, you will be able to enjy it while waiting for a solid supply of higher juice...
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

there are a few stations near me (~20 miles) that have 100 at the pump for ~$8/gal.

the reason i want to start on the high stuff is to see what the hell kind of boost i will be seeing from the setup (no real way to determine that until it actually runs, unless someone has a secret formula). in that situation i could see if i can safely run 91 or if i need to get a lower-boost pulley.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

NGK BPR7ES or BPR6ES to start out with? 6ES is stock on 944 turbo and 7ES is one step colder. should i go for safety with the 7 or trust in porsche engineering with a 6?

Quick Reply: Am I going to nuke something?