Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any 944 Megasquirters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any 944 Megasquirters?

Im almost done installing my MSII with Ford Edis system! I just figured out a pretty frustrating glitch i was having. Whenever my MS was connected to my comp, after a few minutes, it would crash and corrupt the embedded code. I think its my USB to serial adapter. oh well. Now all i have to do is mount the trigger wheel and sensor on the crank! Needless to say im pretty excited. Anyone else running MS? We should post up our msq's.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get your hands on a serial PCMCIA card (good deals on ebay), thats the best solution assuming you're working with a newer laptop. I found that using a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card comined with my USB-->Serial adapter fixed all of my connectivity issues.

Good luck. I also run MSII with EDIS, its a nice setup once you sort it out. Make sure you're using resistor plugs too. If you have some extra cash, check out Clewett Engineering. They sell a pulley that is designed for mounting a trigger wheel. You can even pick up a complete kit from them but its a little pricey.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on the serial card! Exactly what i need. I dont understand what you mean by "I found that using a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card comined with my USB-->Serial adapter fixed all of my connectivity issues." though.

Why are resistor plugs needed? Just to get rid of noise? Im going to use the ford wires that came from the car i pulled the EDIS stuff from, ive heard its pretty well shielded.

How are you runnng your tach? Will the EDIS IDM output work?

Yea ive seen the clewitt stuff, really nice, but waayy to much for me. How do you have your trigger wheel mounted? I am planning on just welding it on the front of the ps pulley.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I had to leave my KLR in place to provide tach signal, That is all it was doing. Hopefully this will help. I was using Microsquirt, will again sometime in the next year after back surgery.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
I had to leave my KLR in place to provide tach signal, That is all it was doing.
Tach signal comes from the DME...the KLR puts out the boost gauge signal.

I have a less expensive solution than the Clewitt system if anybody is intrested. Several 951 megasquirt guys have it already.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Yes, the tach signal is sent from the DME in a bundle of I think 4 wires from the DME. I tried several days to get it to work, It would work for a few minutes and go away. When I plugged the KLR in, the tach and boost gauge started woking with the Micro Squirt, so I left it connected to have the boost gauge and tach. It works. And it was not in the way. I know that the Megasquirt has issues running many different OEM tachs. I communicated with the devolepers of megasquirt several times about this issue.

I also had the MicroSquirt running on the factory VR pickups. Took a lot of R&D to get it to do this, but finally figured it out after 2 blown engines trying to Get the system to be a plug and play with the factory harness.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

funniest thread title ever

anyways im looking into it to do eventually.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

What I meant is that, when using the simple USB to Serial adapter there were some annoying bugs. One day I tried using this old PCMCIA to USB adapter and plugging the Serial adapter into one of the ports on the card. This cleared up all the problems I was having. Computers suck.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Dean924s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info on using VR sensors with MS

Originally Posted by j turpin
I also had the MicroSquirt running on the factory VR pickups. Took a lot of R&D to get it to do this, but finally figured it out after 2 blown engines trying to Get the system to be a plug and play with the factory harness.
Whoa.. . Do tell how you did this!!!!! What settings did you use and / or did you use some additional hardware. You would be the "god of all things 944 megasquirt / microsquirt" if you have solved this problem. The whole speed and reference sensors has been the stumbling point of many that have tried this. I am currently setting up my car to run MS2 V3.0 running extra with a cam fired EDIS system. The cam fired EDIS system has been in place and running for more than a year. It would be really cool to be able to make a plug and play MS system for these cars.

I would also be interested in seeing how you wired yours.

Many thanks!!!!

Dean
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

There is a thread on Microsquirt forum that discusses what modifications to the board need to be made to allow for using the factory S&R sensors. Same user name there.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Ok I will search around. And see waht I can find.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Ok I feel like and idiot. That was/is me in this thread.
http://www.microsquirt.com/viewtopic...orsche#p147930

The problem is that with the 130+ tooth wheels in the older cars the VR sensors seem to overwhelm the MS units. Does your fix take care of this or was it only for the 60 tooth on the later cars. I cannot post over at MS at the moment for some reason my old account is locked and it will not let me open a new one as my email is assigned to the old one

Quick Reply: Any 944 Megasquirters?