It's been a nice run but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's been a nice run but..

I'm thinking of getting rid of the car (now that is is running and enjoyable)

It may be time to move on to a different period in life here without the 951. I am pursuing a new career and money is going to be very tight because of this.
To make things worse, I was robbed not too long ago and I have no money to replace the items that were stolen.

I at least have a sense of accomplishment having actually done a nice job getting the car to this point, unlike my last car which I trashed and pawned off for pennies on the dollar. I have put lots of time into the car but I enjoyed it all. I know I will miss it but the good news is that I will always be able to buy another 951 someday (and I'm sure I will). My priorities are changing for the time being.

Anyway, I'm planning to do one last hurrah in the car (road trip, maybe a standing mile race) then I will probably part her out later this year. I may still change my mind but I feel it may be the right decision.

So where should I go? What should I do? What would be your dream road trip in a 951?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Keep it. Whatever you do.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Having just spend two days under the car doing stuff, I sympathize and understand your perspective (I must say that I keep think why am I doing this and would I like a 996 more). At the end of the day, one always needs to evaluate one's priorities, but short and long-term. Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Having just spend two days under the car doing stuff, I sympathize and understand your perspective (I must say that I keep think why am I doing this and would I like a 996 more). At the end of the day, one always needs to evaluate one's priorities, but short and long-term. Good luck with the decision.
Don't get me wrong I love doing the work. Solving problems and working on the car is my favorite part. I don't even mind spending the money. Funny thing, It just kind of hit me the other day that I could have put myself through college easily with what I have put into this car (I'm only 20).
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
Don't get me wrong I love doing the work. Solving problems and working on the car is my favorite part. I don't even mind spending the money. Funny thing, It just kind of hit me the other day that I could have put myself through college easily with what I have put into this car (I'm only 20).

If it takes parting/selling the car to go to college do it. College is a blast, I'd imagine just about anyone on this board would go back if they could (maybe just a few??)
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OUNATE
If it takes parting/selling the car to go to college do it. College is a blast, I'd imagine just about anyone on this board would go back if they could (maybe just a few??)
Well that's not necessarily what I'm doing right now, it was just a bit of a frightful realization... you know "WTF am I doing 20 years old putting all my money into a car that I could easily run off the road and destroy in 2 seconds?"
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Can't always have that mind set Ryan. I ran my S2 off the road in March of 2008 and it's the best thing thats ever happened to me if you can believe it. Not only did I get my 951 out of the deal and the S2 back...the S2 is now better then ever before. Best part is I only have about 5k into the car as it sits now (after you figure in that insurance gave me almost 12k for it). Overall...I have approaching 17k into my S2. I wouldn't trade this car for anything (well, realistically anything).

I could have had the same mind set as you and not be where I am today. I'm 19 and work full time to support my cars, so I know how it feels. College is still a toss up for me. I have an awesome job that makes damn good money for being 19, and I'm not so sure I want to give up my job and cars to attend school. You only live once...keep the things you enjoy most.

Everything will work out in the end, I can assure you. And if everything isn't worked out, then it's not the end!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Can't always have that mind set Ryan. I ran my S2 off the road in March of 2008 and it's the best thing thats ever happened to me if you can believe it. Not only did I get my 951 out of the deal and the S2 back...the S2 is now better then ever before. Best part is I only have about 5k into the car as it sits now (after you figure in that insurance gave me almost 12k for it). Overall...I have approaching 17k into my S2. I wouldn't trade this car for anything (well, realistically anything).

I could have had the same mind set as you and not be where I am today. I'm 19 and work full time to support my cars, so I know how it feels. College is still a toss up for me. I have an awesome job that makes damn good money for being 19, and I'm not so sure I want to give up my job and cars to attend school. You only live once...keep the things you enjoy most.

Everything will work out in the end, I can assure you. And if everything isn't worked out, then it's not the end!
I used to care a lot about having a fast car and how that made me feel etc, but now I feel I care more about the satisfaction of working on them and seeing the results. That's something that I can get for free, so why keep paying for it at this point? I love 944's, but with the money I spend on the car I could be living the life I really want to live. I may even just buy an N/A for a time being so I still get a lot of enjoyment without the huge financial burden.

I'm self employed and make decent money, but I have decided to get out of the business I am in for a while and do something different. I could definitely use a change of scenery.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

didnt we hear this after the first car?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
So where should I go? What should I do? What would be your dream road trip in a 951?
Newfoundland!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I hear you. I love to work on my cars. At times, I actually enjoy it more. I like making these cars unique and setting them apart from others. I love doing the work myself and the sense of satisfaction knowing you did it (like you said). I wouldn't mind having a fast 951...but more then that, I just want a good looking show car. Maybe you should look at getting an S2?

Dan- that's harsh lol
Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cory, i dont mean to sound like an old man lecturing you but what you said struck a cord with me a little. I was once in similar position, making decent money and sorta half assing my way through school. I figured this was as good as life got, good job and a nice car. Im not sure what did it for me but i eventually realized there is alot more to life than just that. Thinking about it now, i think what set me straight was seeing what guys i was in school with were making once they graduated. I graduated a year late (5 year plan.. ) and when my old roommate told me what he was making i honestly couldnt believe it. Thats when i knew i had to get my stuff together and get out.

My viewpoint of decent money was changed greatly when i started paying my own bills (insurance, phone bill..etc) and the fact i still live at home means i don't really have to pay for food, rent..etc. So what i think is decent money is in fact peanuts in the real world. I started getting my act together, taking school seriously (probably 2-3 years ago) and got my butt out of school and am moving out to TX next week to start my professional career. As it stands right now i will be down there for 4-6 months or longer if i decide, the 951 will be staying in NY. I will be making some good money (in real world terms) and will finally be able to afford some other things in life other than just putting it into my car(s). There is more to life than these 20 year old Porsches...like 10 year old Porsches .

But seriously, i would really consider taking a long thought at where the next 5 years is going to take you realistically and where you want to be in 5 years realistically. I was not happy with what i was seeing..still living at home and dumping whatever money i had into my car. Sure, i will miss driving the car, but just a small price to pay to live a little. The key is to goto school for something you genuinely like. I love what i do.. i get paid to work with some awesome equipment. Huge diesels, steam turbines, gas turbines, boilers. When i see turbos the size of my head on these things i work on i just smile. I like when people ask me what i do. I just tell them i work with 6k hp engine plants and spent 3 years on a 15k hp ship. You just gotta love what you do.

What it comes down to, can you see yourself doing what you do now for the rest of your life? I was living basically payday to payday.. $60 in gas a week easily plus other expenses of being a young kid (beer, food..etc). Supporting the car was tough but i made it happen.

Sorry, i dont mean to lecture.. just think of it as some advice from someone that was in your position not all that long ago.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

college > cars

I took a year off between high school and college, and was able to buy the things that I wanted since I had a good job working at a machine shop. College is much better than working and having what you want... As you probably know already.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

its nice to move into the 21st century.. even the 20th century hah

the 951 is a blast but i enjoy the new age cars when it comes to just driving
Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts