Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

It's been a nice run but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Obviously, foundations in life, whether they are education, ethics, knowledge, etc., are invaluable in the long-term.

Some people can look ahead and say, "this is what I want." Other people can't, but hopefully they can say, "what can I put in my toolbox that will be valuable in the future?"

These are things each person has to figure out.

What I can say for myself: I've always thrived on being unique and trying to take a different outlook on life. For example, driving impractical cars - that keeps me happy, and thus, it really turns out to be a "good" car selection!

(Although the old Fiat 124 spyder I had was quite an impractical car...)

For some of the younger guys on here, you'll also find that your priorities will shift when you start a family.... I know mine did. Thinking about how to take care of someone else before taking care of yourself was pretty new to me. And many of my interests have taken a much lower priority than they used to. But, I make a real effort to still give my interests a little time - it makes my life richer, and hopefully will make my children's lives richer.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Come to Watkins Glen - July 22 and 23. You'll find that most memorable.
+1 - Yes, track it once before getting rid of it. The Glen is an especially nice place for that - scenic country side (New York Wine country / finger lakes) and a famous track with lots of history.

Oh yeah, if it makes any difference I will be there at those dates too!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be the non sequitur, but I don't think having a 951 and attending college are mutually exclusive.

Granted, you've got to have the financial backing -- be it in the form of loans or scholarships or whatever. I was fortunate enough to ultimately make money off of my scholarships, which enabled the purchase of my first 951. This was a huge help, given that I received no help from my parents.

Unless you will be going to a school where cars are not allowed/practical, I honestly feel that selling your 951 would be a cop-out. I know a number of individuals who bought and maintained their 951's during college.

Then again, perhaps you're just not as keen on these cars as some of us are. :P

Come on out to the West Coast.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what you feel is best. I have found, however, cars are as expensive as you make them. The 951 is no exception to this; especially once you start modifying it. Modifications are such a slippery slope because you will eventually break stuff and want more; it is an addiction. I have been quite happy with my stock car; it is plenty fast, still looks fairly good, and drives wonderfully. Maintenance will always be pricier with a Pcar, but doing it yourself saves labor!

The key: moderation. I had DSMs through college and as much as I wanted to modify the car, I waited, and waited, and well, I am married now, have a house, two children and I will tell you, a 951 > than any DSM. And people talk about how 'unreliable' those cars are well, with over 40k worth of driving (stock), I only lost a transmission (po ragged it hard and it was noisy when I bought the car). $300 bucks for a 5sp and it was go to go! My AWD first generation, never had a problem!

If you are serious about selling the 951, do it right; get a cheap beater that will make it through school. Don't go dumping it for another 10-15k car; cash it out and save the money when you are ready to buy something of your dreams, or better yet, pay down your education costs!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

guys I appreciate the advice, I really do but I'm confdent I'll make the right choice whatever I decide. 951s are a dime a dozen so when I feel like buying another I won't have a problem.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

guys I appreciate the advice, I really do but I'm confdent I'll make the right choice whatever I decide. 951s are a dime a dozen so when I feel like buying another I won't have a problem.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lorax
That maybe true of the Car itself but well taken care of cars are few and far between Just keep that in mind.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Young people...READ THIS!

Now, read it again, because right now you are too retarded to understand how valuable this advice is.

Now, read it again.

A man with a college degree will average over ONE MILLION MORE DOLLARS, in earnigs, over a lifetime, than a man without. PERIOD.

That is all.
I would have to agree. While I technically would have been able to afford ownership of this car while I was in college I would not have had the time to learn to work on it - let alone do the work...and it would have been my only car so I wouldn't have been able to have the car apart for a week or more at a time AND I never had a place with a garage or the tools I need to work on the car.

I know from personal experience that this car is much more fun to own when you aren't stressing about the cost factor. I could go buy a new GT3 if I wanted to, but I bought the 951 because it was a car I always wanted to own when I was a kid (my neighbor bought one when I was a senior in high school - I lusted over it...) and I've always wanted a real 'drivers car' that I could actually learn to do some work on.

I found a very nice, well taken care of 951 about 8 months ago and spent $9k to purchase. I've since put about $4k into the car in parts and labor - most of which I've done myself (all but a head gasket job). It's been immensely gratifying to 1) own a Porsche and 2) do the work myself. It's also kinda fun when people are asking me about it to talk about all the stuff I've done.

The thing is - I've got a car that's cherry, runs great, no one else has one (my mechanic estimates there's probably 5 others like mine in the city I live in that he knows about) and is faster/quicker than many of the $30k+ V6's on the market these days. Everytime I drive it I see people point or get, "hey...nice car!". I even had a guy just standing by my car waiting for me to ask some questions at Home Depot a few months ago.

If I were in college again knowing what I know now - I'd keep my Honda Accord that all I paid for were oil changes, new brake pads and a timing belt in the 152,000 miles that I drove it.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether you keep the 951 or not, go to college.
Too much fun, too many women, too many opportunities, too much learning to miss out on. It (the 951) is just a car. There are lots of great cars out there, and after you've had a few, you'll realize that it doesn't = happiness.

I'm off my soapbox now.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And anyway... I appreciate all the internet advice but the real question is that if you could drive anywhere or do anything in a 951 (within the US) what would you do?
Road America
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Road America
I have never taken the car on the track
Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

maybe you could rent the 951 to someone who is in between porsches for the moment and cant afford buying one outright but still needs to fuel the addiction.

then youll have money to go to school and after some time will get your car back lol
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never taken the car on the track
You owe it to yourself to try it!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
You owe it to yourself to try it!
feel like doing a little instruction?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

feel like doing a little instruction?
Van is an instructor as well... hell if you go up to Watkins Glen I may do it too. It is beautiful up there (with lots of open road/farmland/fewer cops)

Quick Reply: It's been a nice run but..