Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

It's been a nice run but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dibs on everything! Seriously though, if what you are considering has any impact on your overall career, physical, mental health for the better, then it's a no brainer. I came to my 951 after everything else: college, grad. school, marriage, houses, family. Now it's all just gravy. Every time I drive my 20 year old car, I sigh and grin. I never have to regret my decision to buy/spend money on the car which means it's all that much more fun. In the end, it's just a car; the joys in life are built around much more ephemeral things.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyeball kid
Dibs on everything! Seriously though, if what you are considering has any impact on your overall career, physical, mental health for the better, then it's a no brainer. I came to my 951 after everything else: college, grad. school, marriage, houses, family. Now it's all just gravy. Every time I drive my 20 year old car, I sigh and grin. I never have to regret my decision to buy/spend money on the car which means it's all that much more fun. In the end, it's just a car; the joys in life are built around much more ephemeral things.
You hit it on the head man... Someday I will be in your position, but right now it's a matter of opportunity cost, and I don't think I want to sacrifice so much opportunity just for a cool car.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
didnt we hear this after the first car?
Not at all, there is a distinct difference between being forced to give up on a trashed non running car because you got yourself into a financial blackhole by playing with it, and selling a completed project with the satisfaction of a job well done.

Really I think part of the reason I bought this car is because I felt so stupid for what happened with the old car. I'm glad I stuck with this car and learned a valuable lesson.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

And anyway... I appreciate all the internet advice but the real question is that if you could drive anywhere or do anything in a 951 (within the US) what would you do?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Jeez don't let me read all this logical BS. I have thought many times about getting rid of the 951 (and getting a bone stock E36 M3 - ??), but the body isn't nice enough to command the kinda price the car is worth to me...I am probably 7-8K in the car and even with my mods I don't know if I could get that.

Ryan, what are you considering doing at this point? feel free to pm if you prefer.

Jon, you are spot on with your post. I can't wait to be done with college and doing what I love for money (instead of paying out of the *** for it) oh, and living at home sucks!

oh yeah, why not just start driving and see where it takes ya, I'd suggest NY but its nothing spectacular and full of police
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM951
Jeez don't let me read all this logical BS. I have thought many times about getting rid of the 951 (and getting a bone stock E36 M3 - ??), but the body isn't nice enough to command the kinda price the car is worth to me...I am probably 7-8K in the car and even with my mods I don't know if I could get that.

Ryan, what are you considering doing at this point? feel free to pm if you prefer.

Jon, you are spot on with your post. I can't wait to be done with college and doing what I love for money (instead of paying out of the *** for it) oh, and living at home sucks!

oh yeah, why not just start driving and see where it takes ya, I'd suggest NY but its nothing spectacular and full of police
I know I'm going to hit new york this year, I was also thinking about doing something on the west coast.

Maybe drive the whole east coast, then do the soutern coast and go all the way up the west coast on the other side. That could be awesome.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lorax
And anyway... I appreciate all the internet advice but the real question is that if you could drive anywhere or do anything in a 951 (within the US) what would you do?
Take a trip up the east coast into Maine, at least that's where I'd head unless you've got the time to drive out west. Maine has some absolutely beautiful roads and the coast is amazing.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Search out cool dense, air, open roads and the rest is scenery.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Is there a good standing mile event sometime in the next few months? I'd love to do that.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

just sell it now and get a well maintained one later in your life when you are financially stable.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Come to Watkins Glen - July 22 and 23. You'll find that most memorable.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951

mike

how many times do i have to tell you, no one cares what you have to say. just give us more pictures of your sister.

thats why we let you stick around.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dillon410021
just sell it now and get a well maintained one later in your life when you are financially stable.
actualy other than a few small hiccups the car is has been great lately. no major issues of any kind really
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Alright fine. You know that Top Gear Season 13 just started up right? I don't know about you guys, but when i watch this show i always smile that i have a Porsche. ... And a 951, with the looks and appeal and with POP UP HEAD LIGHTS, which no other car has these days -- which is turbocharged which is capable to match any modern car. Point is , when i watch this show, i know at that point -- i'm happy. Because i realize most people can only dream to have our car. Trust me, where i work -- my car is stands out in the parking lot. You are going to miss it.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:54 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Cory, i dont mean to sound like an old man lecturing you but what you said struck a cord with me a little. I was once in similar position, making decent money and sorta half assing my way through school. I figured this was as good as life got, good job and a nice car. Im not sure what did it for me but i eventually realized there is alot more to life than just that. Thinking about it now, i think what set me straight was seeing what guys i was in school with were making once they graduated. I graduated a year late (5 year plan.. ) and when my old roommate told me what he was making i honestly couldnt believe it. Thats when i knew i had to get my stuff together and get out.

My viewpoint of decent money was changed greatly when i started paying my own bills (insurance, phone bill..etc) and the fact i still live at home means i don't really have to pay for food, rent..etc. So what i think is decent money is in fact peanuts in the real world. I started getting my act together, taking school seriously (probably 2-3 years ago) and got my butt out of school and am moving out to TX next week to start my professional career. As it stands right now i will be down there for 4-6 months or longer if i decide, the 951 will be staying in NY. I will be making some good money (in real world terms) and will finally be able to afford some other things in life other than just putting it into my car(s). There is more to life than these 20 year old Porsches...like 10 year old Porsches .

But seriously, i would really consider taking a long thought at where the next 5 years is going to take you realistically and where you want to be in 5 years realistically. I was not happy with what i was seeing..still living at home and dumping whatever money i had into my car. Sure, i will miss driving the car, but just a small price to pay to live a little. The key is to goto school for something you genuinely like. I love what i do.. i get paid to work with some awesome equipment. Huge diesels, steam turbines, gas turbines, boilers. When i see turbos the size of my head on these things i work on i just smile. I like when people ask me what i do. I just tell them i work with 6k hp engine plants and spent 3 years on a 15k hp ship. You just gotta love what you do.

What it comes down to, can you see yourself doing what you do now for the rest of your life? I was living basically payday to payday.. $60 in gas a week easily plus other expenses of being a young kid (beer, food..etc). Supporting the car was tough but i made it happen.

Sorry, i dont mean to lecture.. just think of it as some advice from someone that was in your position not all that long ago.
Young people...READ THIS!

Now, read it again, because right now you are too retarded to understand how valuable this advice is.

Now, read it again.

A man with a college degree will average over ONE MILLION MORE DOLLARS, in earnigs, over a lifetime, than a man without. PERIOD.

That is all.

Quick Reply: It's been a nice run but..