Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water/Meth Vs. E85

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 02:28 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/Meth Vs. E85

This is NOT to detract from the E85 thread, nor is it to contend with or smear proponents of E85.

I am interested in the pro's and con's of running water/meth injection rather than converting to E85. Essentially, I would assume that the end-result is the same. Knock control, and tuning superiority over pure gasoline.

I've done a fair amount of research on water/meth injection and can see a couple points that I like, as opposed to converting to E85. Firstly, the cooling effects of the injetion. Purely that of the water and methanol evaporating in the charge, cooling it even after being pushed through the intercooler. This means, that those of us, running a slightly anemic intercooler (as per application) can still see great cooling benefits and the same denser charge, as using a bigger better intercooler core.

The second point that I see (That I think I like a lot) is that water/meth is fairly cheap. So I can use it, and run the same gas I always have, and still run more timing and boost, given the higher knock resistance. In the end, I would think it could be a cheaper alternative, since refilling a tank of water and methanol is only gonna cost a few bucks.

The downsides I see to this are:

You'll have to run an extra tank/reservior to contain the fluid. Installing the system won't be any harder than a nitrous install (same throttle switch and hardware here and there), but you'll have to find a place to put the tank, and then you'll need a pump to do the job, thus running wire for it as well.

Monitoring fluid levels could be annoying as well, and I don't even want to think of what would happen, should one forget maintain fluid levels, and mash the gas for a big surprise! To make this easier, some people simply route everything from thier washer-fluid reservior. Many people that I've seen will set their reservior up to contain the water mix and sacrifice windshield cleaning capabilities. Others simply utilize the tank to accomodate both the injection system, AND the windshield cleaning system. This doesn't seem to be a problem, as washer fluid is said to be fine for use, and the dye doesn't have any ill effects on the motor.

I don't know. I do know this. When I go with more boost (bigger turbo or not), I'm going to either impliment a water injection system, or convert to E85. I already know of a couple stations around here.

WHICH BRINGS UP ANOTHER POINT. Availability!!! The nearest station to my city is around 20 minutes away. Where, I could easily source fluid for an injection system. So each has their ups and downs.

Now one last thing. The idea of this thread is to compare the two, and their pro's and con's. ALSO, it is to compare the two in thier core function. Which one is ultimately superior in knock control, and power potential, and are the benefits worth the hassle of using one over the other?
Old 05-11-2009 | 03:37 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both have shown good results Bruce with E-85 and TMAN with water meth.

I ran water meth for awhile before E 85 became so available and absolutely hated filling the tank. It gets old real quick and keeping Methanol around the house in any significant quantities has it's own problems.

I agree that there are cooling properties to injecting into the air stream.

Myself, I go for the E-85 because it is much more convenient. Just imagine being able to pull up and fill up with race fuel every time w/o fussing with other bs. That is literally how easy it is.
Old 05-11-2009 | 06:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 518 Posts

im going with meth/water for my sc project out of the washer reservoir. ill rig up some tank level watcher thing, maybe just get a cheap fuel sender or something to float in there

ethanol is super hard to find in socal (closest station to school is 50 miles, closest to home is 17)

and i can get methanol for free

Quick Reply: Water/Meth Vs. E85