Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Cayman or not for your next track P-car?
Yes I want a Cayman next for my track car
42.86%
No I LOVE my 951 far to much - the Gayman is not for me
18.57%
I'd like a 993 or 964
21.43%
Needs must and I'm on a budget so It's a 996 for me for a DD and trackster
5.71%
I just won the lottery so I'm ordering a new 997 GT3 or may be 2
11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Who would conside the Cayman as a replacement for there 951 when prices come down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 07' S (tip tranny) and a 08' S (6spd). Both were great cars. They handle great, they have great brakes and the horsepower was ok. If I got another one, a 100rwhp supercharger would be on my list. Also, they do sell LSD's for them.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would like a cayman but with turbo and a big techart wing, without the wing it looks silly
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
future
Banned

Aside from the "bubble top" appearance from the side (I wish they'd flatten the top slightly), I think its a dynamite looking car, and there's a decent chance I will be picking one up before long for a DD.
You could not have said it better

Below a side view of the S Edition which illustrates the bubble design roof - Like you I wish they flattened it an inch or 2 but nobody's perfect:

Gawd help us all if they come up with a factory turbo version.
Factory may be not but aftermarket, now that can be arranged

I've always said the Cayman will be in 10 years what our cars are now.
That is a guaranteed fact mate - I read a thread recently where some claimed the 996 would be the transaxle replacement ... On financials alone I would agree but it's one big fat heavy pig if you ask me

Local dealers are already discounting 15k off sticker price here which makes the Cayman/Boxster very tempting.
Hence the reason for this post but they still need to drop another 10k before we start seeing more on the track - I've not seen many fully striped dedicated track Cayman's yet even though on paper they are the perfect choice! I recon 200kg's could be stripped from one quite easily ... They have about the same amount of ****ty bulky plastic trim as the Cayenne!

I'd buy one now if I weren't in the unusual position of having lots of money, but lousy credit.
You're sat in the same club house as me mate and I'll drink to that ... I call it enjoying life at the expense of the bank managers health who is not so happy but hell he's to blame so lets drink more

Not really too keen to get a 996/997. I don't really like rear-engine that much.
But a 964 or 993 is a different story - Small, light and to the point = a hell of a lot of fun but just not quite 951 fun all be it a little more refined

I am currently looking at a Boxster S as a track car to replace the 944 and I am sure if the Cayman was a lower price I would be all over one right now!
Sounds like you need a light damaged/salvage Cayman

Now for some more pics

Above - I do not like the spot lights very much but can forgive that for the chassis

Above - Had to add this one as the photographic skills are excellent even if the color of the Cayman so wrong but give me a 10k discount and I'd sign on the dotted line and repaint the ******
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM
future
Banned

i would like a cayman but with turbo and a big techart wing, without the wing it looks silly
I'm with you on the turbo but I'd never want to add a heavy techart wing or any of there Russian & Arab aimed products which have never seen the light of testing in the real life plus I do not care much for there involvement in stealing development engines from Porsche which were found at there workshop in Germany resulting in 4 arrests! http://www.autospies.com/news/Who-St...-Engine-15883/

Also, they do sell LSD's for them.
Yes mate you are right but only for the last 6 months so it will be a while till the new cars with LSD enter the kind of budget we are all talking about
Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Cayman, is just like the Boxster with a hard top, no torque, nice chick car...
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 PM
future
Banned

Cayman, is just like the Boxster with a hard top, no torque, nice chick car...
Don't agree with you on the torque as we are talking prospect stripped and tuned track cars here but yes where I live in standard form "chick car" does stand to reason but if your chick had one and said "you could strip her, trim some weight and then rag it" I'd like to think you wouldn't have to think twice ... I know I wouldn't

Boxster = Hairdresser or HDC (Hair Dressers Car) or in other words GAY's whip and then yes I do have a VERY BIG problem with the association as I trust do we all
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

I would strip the chick,sell the caymen,and then build a 968 TRS replica. Then buy beer and hookers with whats left!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Cayman would be great if it had another 250HP.

TonyG
Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would give it some thought

Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I think if we put down our front engined bias here for a minute, the Cayman is a great car and one that has a clear visible lineage to Porsche. My only concern is that they share the same / similar engine design to the 996 and Boxter and these have had multiple failures after very short mileage. Something like the pic that David has posted is very appealing and if we didn't have to pay over $90k for 2nd hand ones I'd be interested in time. If you guys can get them for $20k that's stupidly cheap.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
future
Banned

I would strip the chick,sell the caymen,and then build a 968 TRS replica. Then buy beer and hookers with whats left!!!!!!
Mate I need your address as I'm guest of honor at your next house party

A Cayman would be great if it had another 250HP.
HP talks but I'm sure room can be made for an LSX

I would give it some thought
Dave, at the moment all it is is thought mate until prices come down to a realistic level and all the hair dresses and chicks have moved onto others models as what happened with the 944 then we all get to have our fun at the right price - We are here to reap the rewards from the HDC credit crunch previous owners
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
future
Banned

I think if we put down our front engined bias here for a minute, the Cayman is a great car and one that has a clear visible lineage to Porsche. My only concern is that they share the same / similar engine design to the 996 and Boxter and these have had multiple failures after very short mileage. Something like the pic that David has posted is very appealing and if we didn't have to pay over $90k for 2nd hand ones I'd be interested in time. If you guys can get them for $20k that's stupidly cheap.
Patrick, your views shared with me mate - I'm not talking about today nor tomorrow but 3 years down the line when prices start looking very attractive and the Cayman is going to start to make a lot of sense to the track enthusiast as our 951/2’s plus 964’s do at the moment.

I’ll guarantee in the future there will not be a diminishing interest in 44 T cars as they still have so much to offer and that’s why we are here but sometimes it’s nice to discuss something else and eventually most of us will move on be it right or wrong direction so nows good to talk as we are all a friendship based community and nobody else has asked the question.

For the record I hated my 996 TT as it was a complete fat and unresponsive pig and every time I got in it I wish I’d purchased a BMW M3 CSL – It really was that bad to me but others will love it. I spent a lot of money on the car converting to rear wheel drive, fitting OEM carbon GT2 brakes and GT2 gearbox but the *** ended up in a hedge where it belonged as the more I pushed it the harder it would resist what I wanted from it.

I also do not care much for the 997 either unless it’s in GT3 format but that is well out of most of our budgets which is what we are talking about … our budget track car for the future.

The new 997 and 987 engine designs are much improved over the original water pumper 996 and 986’s which were very poor until the TT was launched and I have yet to read any true horror stories with these new engines – I hope that will not be my famous last words

At the end of the day our cars are really getting old but we love them all the same and there are many companies out there like ourselves who will always continue to support our transaxle love. Hell look at what track times some of our cars are running against some of the latest Porsche exotica but we also seam to fall behind in certain areas and this is why I think the Cayman could and I emphasis “could” be the way forwards for our future – I’m still undecided but it’s still interesting to all chat and have our opinions all the same – I’m on the fence hence why I started the thread.

Patrick $20k is a long way off but as I said at the start mate when they get to that price then “can we ignore them – answer NO”?

Let’s all discuss more and I’m interested that a few are in favor or the 964 and 993 as there next car
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me. Except I still want both. Why replace when you can add?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
future
Banned

Why replace when you can add?
Mate I love you for that comment as will ALL RL members ... You the MAN
Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've instructed quite a few AX and DE students in Caymans (several of them total beginners) and I have to say that car is perhaps the best forgiver-of-fools out there. In addition, a well driven example is very fast, with incredible turn in and good rotation without being too loose. They have none of the excessive understeer of late 911 cars with stock alignments.
Fine balance indeed.
btw I always make students turn off the "electronic nannys" so they learn how to drive the car, not the computer.
Now if only the engines didn't explode.......

Quick Reply: Who would conside the Cayman as a replacement for there 951 when prices come down?