Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

update on my project. Need some dynomat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:16 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default update on my project. Need some dynomat.

So my upholstry shop bailed on me yesterday. I took the car to them with the new carpet kit and he said "I just don't feel comfortable". So after I talked with Van(guys a rock star seriously...) he put my incontact with my new best friend Tom who owns/works @ Advanced Automotive. I visited their shop and let me tell you its top notch. Two 964 cup cars in the show room with a 944 turbo race car

I'm sending the car to him to totally go through before the eastcoast meet. I got a loose shifter, bad ball joints, some worn suspension bushings, old brakes, torn interior, etc etc. He says he feels comfortable installing my 928leather carpet set and installing new seats. I told him I want the car really quiet. I asked if he could install dynomat for me underneath the new carpet and he said sure but, i'd have to provide it.

I need enough dynomat to cover the main center console tunnel, floorboards, rear seat area, hatch, even the side panels, and fuel filler neck. I mean i'm covering the car in it. So how much dynomat do I need? Where can I buy this stuff? I want to place a order online somewhere and just have it shipped to me.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Also what sort of adheasive to we need to connect the carpet to the dynomat. The dynomat should be peel and stick(I think) to the metal of the floorboards but, Tom says they use carpet glue normally to install interior. Will this adheasive work on the dynomat?

If all go's well I should be able to send the car to get all of this done and a few other tidbits by May 1st.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

i would like to know also as i will be doing the same thing, maybe a little more for the doors
Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think dynomat comes in sheets of 18x32. I helped my dad install dynomat all throughout his 911. If i remember correctly he just used 3M high strength adhesive and he's had no problems since.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ShApE
i think dynomat comes in sheets of 18x32. I helped my dad install dynomat all throughout his 911. If i remember correctly he just used 3M high strength adhesive and he's had no problems since.
Dynomat should come with adhesive already on the back. Its peel and stick(or so I've been told). I was talking about how to mat it with the carpet securely. This may not be an issue at all. Tom was thinking we could just use regular carpet glue but, I'm not sure.

Where did your dad buy his sheets? I'm looking for a online retailed and I've been told what I want to buy is called Dynomat Extreme.
*edit* I guess I can just order it straight from them. Does anyone have any idea how much I need? I think i'd want to do the doors too. They also aparently have something good for firewalls. We could keep down heat transfer from our turbos, and they now sell hood liners. WOW I have no idea.
http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...at_xtreme.html

Heres a install in a Porsche 911
http://www.dynamat.com/gallery/Spons...er_P/index.asp
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

You can order direct from DynaMat or Google car audio wholesale and click DynaMat on any of the websites. I have had good luck finding it cheaper from the wholesalers than Dyna themselves.

And yes, it is self adhesive on one side.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I need enough dynomat to cover the main center console tunnel, floorboards, rear seat area, hatch, even the side panels, and fuel filler neck. I mean i'm covering the car in it. So how much dynomat do I need? Where can I buy this stuff? I want to place a order online somewhere and just have it shipped to me.
That's a bummer. Isn't this the stuff you painstakingly removed from the car a few years ago?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
That's a bummer. Isn't this the stuff you painstakingly removed from the car a few years ago?
Yup. I was taking the car back to track only duty at that time. My sole concern back then was performance as well. I've since given up trying for performance in this platform. I'll drive it and enjoy it for what it is.

Its now nearly a 100% street car and that changes things greatly. So I'm going to make it the nicest I possibly can. I'm not worried about saving weight anymore. Which is funny cause even 6 months ago I couldn't of told you that. After driving the car now again though for these couple of months I've come to some conclusions. Its too loud, its too rough, it needs ALOT of little things here and there to make it absolutely perfect and thats what I'm after now. I mean I'm even ordering new brake and coolant reservoirs. Just wait until I get to finish this body. Its going to be so beautiful I can't wait.

For my temp seat solution I've been looking at heated 993 turbo seats and I'm sure those weigh just as much as my current ones do The wife says I've turned into a old man. She'll change her tune when I finish this and start on the track only car. I'll be dropping in a LS in that one and making it a bare bones track rat.

So it looks like I'll be buying the extreme and also the extremliner as well. Its a layered thick foam style piece that I can fit with the dynomat and the carpet. I think I might try and get some of this stuff for the firewall and the turbo shield to help with heat.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

John, I'm thinking of going the opposite way to you. I can't afford a track only car at the moment and I want to lighten my Grey one but I don't know if I want to do the complete strip of all carpets, so is this Dynomat stuff a good compromise? Can we strip all the sound deadening stuff out of our cars and then put in a much lighter version of our carpets?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
John, I'm thinking of going the opposite way to you. I can't afford a track only car at the moment and I want to lighten my Grey one but I don't know if I want to do the complete strip of all carpets, so is this Dynomat stuff a good compromise? Can we strip all the sound deadening stuff out of our cars and then put in a much lighter version of our carpets?
You can dig up John's old thread on this and proceed at your own risk if you don't like interior noise. Just don't end up buying new Dynomat a few years down the road!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good to hear. Did you end up getting those seats like mine? They are heavy as hell but I don't give a crap. Like you, I want nice and quiet...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't have to cover the entire panel with dampener to be effective. If you really want quiet, you need to use a noise barrier as well. I've posted about it before: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...dampening.html

Personally, I don't care for Dynamat. I switched to B-Quiet years ago and have been been very happy with their Ultimate deadener. I've also seen that most shops/individuals use the wrong product for the wrong application. Deadener is used to kill resonance. Isolator (noise barrier) is used to reduce noise levels. You need both.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dynamat...not so much. At least not for saving weight, although there are some variants out there that accomplish much the same but at a w. savings.

Like John, I don't really care about weight....each sub-woofer weighs 22lbs (x3), not to mention the components,amps, second battery, etc. AND the approx 70lbs of D-Mat.

I guess if I took at the system I would have a 10 second car.....
Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 AM
mylesfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DONT USE dynomat, check out this company, dynomat is inferior to what they sell and is around the same prices. Damplifier & a sheet of Luxury Liner as noise barrier is what I have covering the the rear of my 951

www.secondskinaudio.com

Last edited by mylesfast; 04-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to replace the carpets with dynamat? The carpets themselves dont weigh much, it's all the insulation and sound deadening that does. I stripped all my sound deadening and insulation and put the carpet back over the bare floor. It still looks good and doesnt weigh much.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't really believe there is a "good" compromise anymore. I think trying to pull double duty on any car will make a car thats not really ideal in any given situation. I'm now totally turning this car into a nice street cruiser. Stripping out all the sound deadening is a PITA. It took me countless hours. The car was so loud after that it made talking inside the car while driving impossible. You can't really hear the radio that well and you hear every little thing on the road. It truly gets old quick. Back then I was after performance so I just didn't care. Now because I don't have to worry about that, I can change this car into something nice. Do yourself a favor and DON'T try and pull double duty with your car. Build a nice street car for sunday afternoons. Something you can get the great feeling we all want from these cars. Having a seperate car for the track just makes everything so much easier. Who cares if it sounds like apes screaming at your while your inside it, its a race car. Who cares if the paint has some chips, or you have your dash cut up. No radio, no air, no heat, everything can go. You can get the max performance out of it. For these cars having to run MORE boost pressure to make up for the fact you outweigh your competition by some 750-1000lbs puts your car at risk. Mine is probably going to start out a bone stock turbo with everything removed making it super light. Add some tires, suspension and have a ball. Imagine your 320ish rwhp with 1,000lbs less weight.

I've just found there is no true compromise between being fast at the track and being fun on the street.
Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
You can dig up John's old thread on this and proceed at your own risk if you don't like interior noise. Just don't end up buying new Dynomat a few years down the road!

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Good to hear. Did you end up getting those seats like mine? They are heavy as hell but I don't give a crap. Like you, I want nice and quiet...
I lost that set but, I've got a line on another one.
Originally Posted by CPR
Dynamat...not so much. At least not for saving weight, although there are some variants out there that accomplish much the same but at a w. savings.

Like John, I don't really care about weight....each sub-woofer weighs 22lbs (x3), not to mention the components,amps, second battery, etc. AND the approx 70lbs of D-Mat.

I guess if I took at the system I would have a 10 second car.....
Yeah this stuff is heavy but, it makes it nice and quiet. It looks like this secondskin audio place is great. I follow the below link and watched some of the guys vids. I can get fully outfitted for 600 bucks or so. They make it easy with this 3 step process thing. I think thats the route i'll take.
Originally Posted by mylesfast
DONT USE dynomat, check out this company, dynomat is inferior to what they sell and is around the same prices. Damplifier & a sheet of Luxury Liner as noise barrier is what I have cover the the rear of my 951

www.secondskinaudio.com
Thanks so much for the link. I spent a great deal of time on that website. I believe this is actually the route im going to take. I never would have heard of these guys without your help. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: update on my project. Need some dynomat.