Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound dampening

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default sound dampening

I know that some of you guys with gutted cars, and per that sheet, sound dampening and taking out interior saves weight

good

I had a question though, has anyone tried to "update" sound dapmening? with dynamat or one of those "spray" sound dampens?

back in my car audio days (5-6 years ago), Dynamat was very popular by car audio guys, and I know it improved sound quality inside the car, and fixed a lot of rattles, I'm not sure how if at all this would work here, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or not?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most guys who strip their interiors (myself included) are not concerned with interior noise but only the weight of their interior. Even if dynamat is lighter than the stock stuff, having 'nothing' is still lighter than dynamat.

That said, if you're looking to silence a 'stock' car, you may have success with adding dynamat. I don't know of anyone who's done this, but there's no reason you can't be the first.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Most guys who strip their interiors (myself included) are not concerned with interior noise but only the weight of their interior. Even if dynamat is lighter than the stock stuff, having 'nothing' is still lighter than dynamat.

That said, if you're looking to silence a 'stock' car, you may have success with adding dynamat. I don't know of anyone who's done this, but there's no reason you can't be the first.

throw some carpet on top to make it look nice, lol
Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone posted awhile back about another brand of sound deadener like Dynamat but it was less expensive, and controlled sound better. Unlike most sound control products their site actually listed the sound improvement qualities, weight, and thickness of the product.

I don't have it bookmarked on this computer but you should be able to find it with the search. It's probably the route I will go when i redo my interior.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

i will be redoing my 944 carpet over the summer and plan on replacing all the sound deadening...

i will be layering all the floorpans probably two layers thick, with triple layer on the center tunnel and rear deck and wheel wells since those are the noisiest parts. i will put standard carpet padding over that and then my own carpet, and then custom floormats on top of those lol.

not really concerned about the weight, but i do expect it will be much quieter inside the cabin
Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Pile O Porsche
Instructor

sounddeadenershowdown.com has a ton of information that made me go with Dynamat Xtreme in most of my car. I did the tunnel, rear seat (which became a rear seat delete), footwells, firewall (with heatproof padding), and rear deck. It's quite quiet, and once I do the doors, I expect even less sound. I got some padding from eBay to put on top of the Dynamat to seat the carpet right, and do the actual sound dampening. It was just the cheapest thing I could find that looked decent. I don't think there's anything that's going to give you a brand new luxury car quietness with the hatch that we have, but it will certainly help keep the noise down. Dynamat is fairly easy to install, in my opinion and works very well.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
tydriver
Intermediate

Yeah, I cheaped out and used 2 layers of "peel 'n' seal" on mine (floor, tunnel, door panels) when I replaced the carpet. It definitely quieted the interior down a lot. Some worry that the asphalt-based cheap stuff will smell when it gets hot, but I have had no odor problems.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did this. For dampener, I used B-Quiet Ultimate followed by a layer of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro acoustic noise barrier. I'm happy with the results.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
roman944
Drifting

so far all the dampners I know of have been mentioned!

I remember Second Skin when it first came out, it was such a bargain compared to the rest of stuff out there!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a lot of research on this as I stripped my whole interior like 2 years ago and threw out all the moldy fiberglass crap under the carpets and elswhere.

I used about 40sq feet I think of sound deadner. From what I read do not use any of the really cheap stuff that is "tar" based. tar based stuff apparently smells and can melt in the summer heat and cause a real mess.

I didn't want to risk this so I got some better stuff. I didn't pay too much like 80 bucks I think from ebay.

not sure how much of a difference it made. I used it mostly to cover the torque tube area (above the torque tube and exhaust) with two layers and then I put a layer on the rear wheel area as I heard that's where a lot of noise is created.

I think the stuff I got was called E squared or something like that ebay sells it.

anways I did this because I had to strip my interior due to water leaks and that old fiberglass crap was nasty filled with mold and ancient dust.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

yummybud, did you do the floor pans and rear deck as well? im curious as to how much sound deadener ill need...i want to cover EVERYTHING...floor pans, rear seat buckets, rear deck, rear wheel wells, rear cubbies/tire bin (maybe?), lots on the tunnel, inner door skins, door interior skin...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i want to cover EVERYTHING...floor pans, rear seat buckets, rear deck, rear wheel wells, rear cubbies/tire bin (maybe?), lots on the tunnel, inner door skins, door interior skin...
Why would you want to cover everything? Deadener is to change the resonance frequency of a panel. Typically, you only need to add a piece approximately 1/2 the size of the panel to be effective. 3/4 panel coverage will yield marginal gains.

If you're trying to get the noise levels down, use the deadener to kill the buzzing and noise barrier to get the dB levels down. You really need to use both. You'd get better results covering everything in barrier, but that stuff is HEAVY. You could use jute, but it isn't nearly as affective (but is considerably cheaper).

My plan was to use the heavy stuff on the interior floor boards, but not in the hatch area to keep the weight as low as possible. I will probably use 2 layers of jute in the hatch under the new carpet.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

I used a glued layer of Nuprene dual density aircraft deadener on all interior metal areas (except under the headliner) to knock down the buzzing and resonance. It's very light and conforms great. On the floors,firewall, under rear seat area, and hatch deck I added a layer of double sided foil with a fire-resistant mid layer to reflect heat and cut dB's. The combo worked great and I'm doing the same on the project car except under the rear seat since I'm not removing it. I have no use for the heavy brown bread and asphaltic based stuff and they stink. The 35 or 50 mil foil faced butyl rubber tapes (Polyken 960) are also great. Robby used this on his car when we were both doing sound proofing projects at the same time.

The black stuff on the side walls is the Nuprene, the foil stuff is over the Nuprene in the 2nd photo

Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I used a glued layer of Nuprene dual density aircraft deadener on all interior metal areas (except under the headliner) to knock down the buzzing and resonance. It's very light and conforms great. On the floors,firewall, under rear seat area, and hatch deck I added a layer of double sided foil with a fire-resistant mid layer to reflect heat and cut dB's. The combo worked great and I'm doing the same on the project car except under the rear seat since I'm not removing it. I have no use for the heavy brown bread and asphaltic based stuff and they stink. The 35 or 50 mil foil faced butyl rubber tapes (Polyken 960) are also great. Robby used this on his car when we were both doing sound proofing projects at the same time.

The black stuff on the side walls is the Nuprene, the foil stuff is over the Nuprene in the 2nd photo

Where did you get the foil stuff? Is this the same stuff you find at a hardware store? It's like a 1/8" foam with adhesive on the bottom and a foil top?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Why would you want to cover everything? Deadener is to change the resonance frequency of a panel. Typically, you only need to add a piece approximately 1/2 the size of the panel to be effective. 3/4 panel coverage will yield marginal gains.

If you're trying to get the noise levels down, use the deadener to kill the buzzing and noise barrier to get the dB levels down. You really need to use both. You'd get better results covering everything in barrier, but that stuff is HEAVY. You could use jute, but it isn't nearly as affective (but is considerably cheaper).

My plan was to use the heavy stuff on the interior floor boards, but not in the hatch area to keep the weight as low as possible. I will probably use 2 layers of jute in the hatch under the new carpet.
noise barrier as in the 1/2" thick rubbery type stuff or acoustic foam?

Quick Reply: sound dampening