Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installed fiberglass rear bumper, now the car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you said that your tach wasnt bouncing when you cranked it- sounds like a ref sensor-or dme relay although you said you replaced it. I would start by cleaning the connections and go from there. THe fuel pump ground is in between the taillights in the trunk.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
It was my first time and I didn't want to break anything.
It's ok, most people think the same way you do, once you get some experience you learn that it's fun to be rough every now and then.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdeano
It's ok, most people think the same way you do, once you get some experience you learn that it's fun to be rough every now and then.
I learned that about year 3 of Marriage...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

This might sound a little crazy,but I had a the same problem aweek ago.I drove into a gas station on my way some where and it was running fine,then It wouldn't start.I called my mechanic and 944 guru and he told me to take the fuel pump relay out and tap it on the ground upsine down.I put it back in,she fired right up, and I headed straight to the dealer to pick up a new one.Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
you said that your tach wasnt bouncing when you cranked it- sounds like a ref sensor-or dme relay although you said you replaced it. I would start by cleaning the connections and go from there. THe fuel pump ground is in between the taillights in the trunk.
Ok, I will try to clean the DME relay connections.

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
This might sound a little crazy,but I had a the same problem aweek ago.I drove into a gas station on my way some where and it was running fine,then It wouldn't start.I called my mechanic and 944 guru and he told me to take the fuel pump relay out and tap it on the ground upsine down.I put it back in,she fired right up, and I headed straight to the dealer to pick up a new one.Has anyone else heard of this?
Don't quote me, but I think DME relay = fuel pump relay. As far as the tapping upside down thing, never heard of that.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I learned that about year 3 of Marriage...
C'mon guys, don't you know you get more bees with honey?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

The no-start problem is back again. I let the car sit for about a week and a half, and went to start it last night. No dice. Again this morning, no dice. DME Relay is fresh, and yes I jiggled the ref sensor connectors.

I'm thinking I should look for corrosion of the injector and temp sensor connector wires, as described in many threads (search for "no start"). Any other ideas?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
azmi951
Drifting

dont just jiggle the ref/position harnesses. take them apart and check them. Moisture will cause them to fail. If they are brittle replace them. the ones from Paragon are cheap(er) because they are a BMW part. If your tach isnt bouncing on crank then the DME does not think the motor is spinning and will not turn on the fuel pump. If the harness is bad replace it with the Lindsey kit they make great harnesses. And while you are in there replace the injector harness too.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

The no-start problem is back again. I let the car sit for about a week and a half, and went to start it last night. No dice. Again this morning, no dice. DME Relay is fresh, and yes I jiggled the ref sensor connectors.

I'm thinking I should look for corrosion of the injector and temp sensor connector wires, as described in many threads (search for "no start"). Any other ideas?
here's my solution to the ref and speed sensor connector problem:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/359468-the-definitive-hot-engine-no-start-thread.html
Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

one more idea may be the actual main ground from the battery. The only time that I had my white car not start this was the culprit (tapped DME, Shook ref sensor wires, etc.) ended up that it sitting out overnight had been the last straw for the corrosion right where the main engine ground meets the car.

just a thought!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Hah, my car punishes me every time I upgrade something. Just redid the suspension front and back and had it aligned and now I the water pump seal is leaking and I can't drive it. Hope you get it figured out soon, looks great!
Mine does that too... wanna go to the track, so I buy brakes. it'll blow a tire... buy tires, get to the track, 3rd lap, blow a clutch... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn....
Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Btw, I weighed the old and new. Old was 30 lbs. New GT Racing bumper is under 4 lbs.
Badass dude!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azmi951
dont just jiggle the ref/position harnesses. take them apart and check them. Moisture will cause them to fail. If they are brittle replace them. the ones from Paragon are cheap(er) because they are a BMW part. If your tach isnt bouncing on crank then the DME does not think the motor is spinning and will not turn on the fuel pump. If the harness is bad replace it with the Lindsey kit they make great harnesses. And while you are in there replace the injector harness too.
Thanks for your advice. Dan Jauch keeps telling me the same thing. If the tach's not bouncing, it has to be either the DME Relay or the reference sensor/harness/connectors.

I noticed last night that the boot on one of my ref sensor connectors is ripped open, so maybe some moisture got in there and corroded it or something. I'll check that out next. The good news is I got it to start last night (and this morning)! I suspect that all my fiddling with the ref sensor connectors did it.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Porschiste
here's my solution to the ref and speed sensor connector problem:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359468
I read that yesterday... very nice! I think you're on to something. What do you think it is about the ref sensor connectors that makes them so prone to failure?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeydude
one more idea may be the actual main ground from the battery. The only time that I had my white car not start this was the culprit (tapped DME, Shook ref sensor wires, etc.) ended up that it sitting out overnight had been the last straw for the corrosion right where the main engine ground meets the car.

just a thought!
Thanks Nelson, but I think my ground is ok. I just reattached that ground cable a couple months ago when I repaired my rusty battery tray, and it looked nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Installed fiberglass rear bumper, now the car won't start