Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installed fiberglass rear bumper, now the car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Installed fiberglass rear bumper, now the car won't start

Don't tell me it's not related. The car ran yesterday. All I did was put the bumper on and now it won't start! So, I put in a brand new DME relay, and jiggled the reference sensors. Still no go. And I've got an alignment scheduled for tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that it starts in the morning!

At least it looks good sitting in my driveway now. Maybe the old girl's embarrassed to go out in public with that sweet new behind.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

hawt!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...very
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the fuel pump is working and you didn't pinch off a fuel line.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Hah, my car punishes me every time I upgrade something. Just redid the suspension front and back and had it aligned and now I the water pump seal is leaking and I can't drive it. Hope you get it figured out soon, looks great!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Hah, my car punishes me every time I upgrade something. Just redid the suspension front and back and had it aligned and now I the water pump seal is leaking and I can't drive it. Hope you get it figured out soon, looks great!
Together I think we have the worst luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

It started this morning. All I had to do was touch the radio button while cranking it! I *think* that was a coincidence. Good idea on the fuel line. I'll look and make sure I didn't pinch one somehow when I jacked it up.

Thanks for the compliments. That bumper really improves the look of the car and fits much better with the front turbo bumper. At first, I was concerned about the crash protection, but when you think about it, all that bumper is going to do is protect the rear sheet metal if someone rear ends you at what, 5 mph? At track speeds, that stock bumper ain't gonna do much if you back into a wall.

Btw, I weighed the old and new. Old was 30 lbs. New GT Racing bumper is under 4 lbs.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its bound to happen again, the radio has nothing to do with it.

If I were you, id make several short trips around town and try duplicate the problem. It wouldnt be too fun if it didnt want to start 2 hours away from home.

When the car doesnt start, you should begin checking everything. Check the afm connector and fuel pump wires too. Good luck

The new bumper looks great
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Its bound to happen again, the radio has nothing to do with it.

If I were you, id make several short trips around town and try duplicate the problem. It wouldnt be too fun if it didnt want to start 2 hours away from home.

When the car doesnt start, you should begin checking everything. Check the afm connector and fuel pump wires too. Good luck

The new bumper looks great

Thanks for your advice. I should share some other possibly relevant info...

I replaced the old fuel supply and return lines (the ones that connect to the fuel rail) with a Rennbay kit last week. Is it conceivable that there is air or vapor in the lines now that could cause this intermittent no-start? It started right up after I hooked up the lines last week, and I drove it for at least a few hours with multiple starts and no problems.

I also had the DME and KLR disconnected for a while and hooked them back up a few weeks ago. Again, no problem until now, it started right up after re-connecting them.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like ref sensors to me. I had this happen one time before work. My reference sensors were problematique at sometimes. I too had to wait until the next day to drive it.

Usually when the car doesnt start, people say "jiggle" the reference sensor wiring. Jiggle is a HUGE understatement. I have to shake the life out of those *****. So if you went out there like Martha Stewart during teatime holding your pinky out to shake them, that might have not been enough.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of course,

Don't you know the return ground for the fuel pump passes through the surface of the bumper? That fiberglass just isn't conductive enough
Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Type_LT
Of course,

Don't you know the return ground for the fuel pump passes through the surface of the bumper? That fiberglass just isn't conductive enough
Interesting, Ive never noticed a ground connection back there. But it would really make some sense in this case. Where does the pump get ground from?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I think he's joking, but actually there might be something to look at. The bumper shocks stick way deep into the frame, and I wonder if I disrupted some wiring or ground when I slid them out. I'll take a look tonight.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

April fools...!

The wiring to the fuel pump is nowhere near the bumper...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
Sounds like ref sensors to me. I had this happen one time before work. My reference sensors were problematique at sometimes. I too had to wait until the next day to drive it.

Usually when the car doesnt start, people say "jiggle" the reference sensor wiring. Jiggle is a HUGE understatement. I have to shake the life out of those *****. So if you went out there like Martha Stewart during teatime holding your pinky out to shake them, that might have not been enough.
Rock, thanks for your help. I know it sounds like ref sensors, but I'm going to investigate the possible bumper related causes first (just too much of a coincidence for me to ignore).

And, I suppose that I was being a little bit dainty with the ref sensor connectors. It was my first time and I didn't want to break anything. So, do you shake the connectors themselves, or the bracket that they are hanging on, or what?

Quick Reply: Installed fiberglass rear bumper, now the car won't start