Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951s LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Ummm, the LSX is very unreliable. I've got about 55K on mine and I just had to change the serpentine belt. What a POS.

Good thing I'm easy on it.
Belts are a normal wear and tear item that you expect to replace, especially on an LSx because chevy opts to put poor quality dayco belts on their motors from the factory. A quality serpentine belt will last you much longer than the dayco belts that the factory likes to provide you with. Belts going bad has nothing to do with the reliability of the motor. When was the last time you heard about the timing chain failing, or a siezed piston, rod thrown through the block, cracked block, rod bearings going bad due to oil starvation in cylinder x, etc etc?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Belts are a normal wear and tear item that you expect to replace, especially on an LSx because chevy opts to put poor quality dayco belts on their motors from the factory. A quality serpentine belt will last you much longer than the dayco belts that the factory likes to provide you with. Belts going bad has nothing to do with the reliability of the motor. When was the last time you heard about the timing chain failing, or a siezed piston, rod thrown through the block, cracked block, rod bearings going bad due to oil starvation in cylinder x, etc etc?
It was a joke....... Meaning....... 55K miles, a dozen DE's, performance mods, daily driven, and all I've had to do is change the belt. I've got quite a bit of experience with the LS motors and they are very reliable.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

It was a joke....... Meaning....... 55K miles, a dozen DE's, performance mods, daily driven, and all I've had to do is change the belt. I've got quite a bit of experience with the LS motors and they are very reliable.
haha my bad Jeremy. I thought you were being serious about it.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Well at least belts aren't a problem with the porsche engine...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Well at least belts aren't a problem with the porsche engine...
Yeah, thank God.

Not that I would ever want to admit to it, but I think I speak for a few others here when I say I regret not starting with an LSX motor from the beginning. After all the engine pulls, rebuilds, breakdowns, mods, etc because of the 951 motor. It can be a long and expensive road. 350 to 400 whp is nothing to sneeze at. To make that power and be extremely reliable (road course reliable) is definitely something to respect. Not to mention instant torque. I wouldn't mind that.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I think everyone is on the same page in here just the sarcasm meters are acting up.

IMO once the novelty of the turbo 4 wears off.... reality bites

and who says turbo and LSX are exclusive from one another

BTW why are you building a 3.0 Jeremy??
Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=blown 944;6457044]Actually I think everyone is on the same page in here just the sarcasm meters are acting up.

IMO once the novelty of the turbo 4 wears off.... reality bitesQUOTE]

Amen. I am building something that goes slower faster.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
BTW why are you building a 3.0 Jeremy??
To be honest ??????????.......because I can and have nothing better to do. It would have been much cheaper to drop in a LS motor but anyone can do that.

I still want my p-car to have a p-motor. A 500 HP v-8 does little for me these days but a 500+ Hp 80's technology 4 cylinder makes me grin. The goal for the 951 is 500+ Hp, the goal for the chevy motor build (early parts collection phase) is 1,000.

The chevy gets a new motor and the LS-6 will eventually make its way into the spec car. That way everyone's happy......except the wife.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest ??????????.......because I can and have nothing better to do. It would have been much cheaper to drop in a LS motor but anyone can do that.

I still want my p-car to have a p-motor. A 500 HP v-8 does little for me these days but a 500+ Hp 80's technology 4 cylinder makes me grin. The goal for the 951 is 500+ Hp, the goal for the chevy motor build (early parts collection phase) is 1,000.
Yep. The LSx is the best explored option because it's the best option, which makes it the technical path of least resistance.

That makes it score low on "cool and interesting project", but high on "good results for minimal risk and effort".
Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

you can get a turbo kit for the LS1 thats good for over 1000whp. you will blow up the engine after a little but it will still get it. were at 480whp @ 4lbs boost with this turbo kit on our GTO
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

The chevy gets a new motor and the LS-6 will eventually make its way into the spec car. That way everyone's happy......except the wife.
It would be a nice comparison between a 500+hp i4 and 1000hp V8. For some reason I wonder about traction. Around the circuit it could be closer than you'd expect.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just in case some of my sarcasm didn't come through (kinda 1/2 and 1/2 on that one) I like both platforms

the novelty hasn't won off on me yet either

my friends don't understand it either.........but, ..but, how can you ..but ???
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
you can get a turbo kit for the LS1 thats good for over 1000whp. you will blow up the engine after a little but it will still get it. were at 480whp @ 4lbs boost with this turbo kit on our GTO
Mine will be a bit more involved then just dropping in a turbo kit. At this point of the parts collection phase it'll be a 8.5:1 402 CI TT based on a LS2 block and will probably still be cheaper then my 3.0L......maybe not. The wife thinks I'm nuts but she doesn't bitch about it too much.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome wife!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aixgelo78
This would be almost no question if the car was a standard 951, but since this is an "s", I am somewhat apprehensive. I am also concerned about the value down the line, but that is neither here nor there i guess....
Chris-

Just some friendly advice from a BTDT. Start with the nicest possible 944 series car you can find....period. When the swap is done, you will be obsessed with the car, and will deeply regret having started with a turd.

Find a conversion locally that you can drive or take a ride in. This will eliminate any hesitation you may have, and keep you motivated during the swap process. As far as resale, the LS motor will expand your potential buyer base tremendously. I can tell you from first hand experience, that the GM guys are enamored over this combination.

Reliability?? My swap has been my commuter AND weekend weapon for the last two years and I've never been late to work, and the only money I spend is on mods.

Quick Reply: 951s LS1?